Any 1959 Rear Door Serro Scotty Builds ?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Any 1959 Rear Door Serro Scotty Builds ?

Postby Txbum » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:33 am

Hello, just wondering if anyone on the forum has or is planning to build a rear door Scotty 1959 model year trailer? I saw one at LCG IV a found it interesting. I would like to know the overall dimesions ....Thanks Txbum..Richard
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Re: Any 1959 Rear Door Serro Scotty Builds ?

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:45 am

Hello Richard,

Have you seen the pictures of this total rebuild? http://www.nationalserroscotty.org/rebuilds/scotty7/index.html

I saw this trailer in person a couple of years ago, even with the total rebuild, it retained the look of a vintage trailer, nice job. The builder would probably tell you the specs on it if you ask.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Txbum » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:50 am

Thank you Steve, I will look into this. I noticed one in the Hall of Fame in " Norms teardrop" and will try to contact him as well. I am thinking of following the general lay out of the rear door but as a "foamie" project. What do you think? Richard..Txbum :applause:
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:00 pm

I saw the one at LCG IV as well. Also saw another one over in Arkansas. Don't remember exactly where but it was somewhere between Memphis,TN and Searcy, AR.

In the Design Library at the top of the page, the 1959 12 foot rear entrance Scotty is included. Lots of good design ideas up there, with the benefit fo a lot of the layout work done by more experienced people than myself.

I'm on the wrong computer right now; but I have worked up a couple of variations of the basic profile for the Scotty in Sketchup done as a "foamie". Won't be on the right computer until early next week, so I can't share anything until then. I kept the files because I hate to delete anything I have worked on; but IMHO, decided it just wouldn't have the same character in foam as the original. If I remember correctly, I think I based my ideas around a modified HF trailer rather than the actual trailer frame dimensions in the Design Library.

Another reason I decided against proceeding farther was the girlfriend ("she who camps with me"). She definitely wants an external galley. Have to keep the "better other" happy. Have to decide on a design soon, as delamination problems are going to be the end of IttyBitty soon.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Txbum » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:03 pm

tinkdads, thanks for your input. I agree we have to keep the other half of the equation in a harmonius state or the varibles ( our scheming) will upset the sum output. I thought of a rear door entrance with a slide out galley on one or both sides. These would be just aft of the wheel wells and above the wheels and slide out when needed. When in the retracted position ( inside) the cabin) a person could still brew a pot of java before greeting the morning. I also entertained the thought of a full width hatch to act as a canopy with the door exposed when hatch is lifted into position. As far as the exterior I would prefer aluminium siding much as the original. Please keep me informed of your foamie rear door designed. Txbum..Richard :applause:
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:21 pm

Rear entry works great for small trailers, better use of interior space in many cases not loosing part of the side wall
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby geoatk » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:05 pm

I would like to build the rear door Scotty. I like the looks of it. I was thinking about using 3/4 plywood for my sides and floor.

Geoff
geoatk
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi Richard, Since the new version of the forum is so difficult :roll:
I put these pictures on my picturetrail page of a Serro Scotty I saw In Lynden WA last weekend.
Never expected a Corvette pulling a vintage trailer.
I'll keep them up for a few days for you. :D Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby geoatk » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:53 pm

I love that little trailer. Not sure it is the most efficient use of space, but it sure looks cool. I got my full size drawn down on paper tonight.
Geoff
geoatk
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Non-traditional Designs