Temporary trailer camper??

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Temporary trailer camper??

Postby Rico » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm not sure this is the right forum, or even the right site, but I guess it can't hurt to ask. :)

I have an existing 5x8 utility trailer that I would like to use as an occasional camper. I do not want another trailer that is only used for camping, and I need to be able to use this trailer for non-camping tasks.

I like the tent part of the Lifetime trailer tent, a lot. But as far as I can tell it doesn't come in a 5x8 size, and the tent isn't sold separate from the trailer anyway. The LittleGiant trailers are similar but they're smaller and again don't come without the trailer.

The Quicksilver TC1 is as close as I've found to what I'm looking that doesn't come with a trailer, but it's only 5x6 so it doesn't take advantage of the entire trailer; it's heavy as hell at 450 lbs so two people can't load/unload it from the trailer when it's not needed; and at around $4000 it's way more expensive than something like this needs to be.

I'm willing and able to create supports, modular side walls, or whatever else is needed... the part that has me stumped is the tent itself. The floorplan of the TC1 or Lifetime is what I'm aiming for, a rooftop tent just won't cut it. My first choice would be a pre-made tent along the lines of the Lifetime tent, with supports built by myself to fit my trailer. Second choice would be to modify a standard tent to fit the floor plan I'm trying for, but I would really rather avoid that.

So, any ideas? Has this been done before and detailed in a post here? I've searched as best I can but not found anything similar.
Rico
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Temporary trailer camper??

Postby mckenney56 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:22 pm

I've seen several removable campers. Especially the truck camper guys. Posting a picture of your current trailer would help a little. Also, do you have a place to store it when it is off the trailer?
mckenney56
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jstrubberg » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Why not build a tear without a frame?

You'd have to make some concessions as to door height, but I bet you could come up with a pod that slid on and off your trailer.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Rico » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks for the comments so far... Here's a picture of my trailer, pretty standard stuff I imagine. :)

I would really like something that isn't "set up" while traveling. I'm currently driving an F150 but I may downsize quite a bit in the near future. I want to keep it as light-weight and low-profile as possible while towing.

Behind the fence where the trash cans are is a patio area that will be used to store the trailer and whatever I come up with as far as camper. Although if I end up with a tent-style package I would store that in the garage.
Rico
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Folding style tent units are another approach for building a multi-purpose trailer.

Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:58 pm

there are several who have teardrops the they drag off, one backs it up to a deck and slides most of it off onto it and then supports the rest with rope or blocks.

go to google images and enter in... camper trailer australia they do a lot on that type of trailer might get your mind all worked up.

you have a good start. I went the other way and almost made mine into a camper. I had not frame. :thumbsup:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to Non-traditional Designs