Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers w/ Lifting Roofs on 1st pg

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers with Lifting Roofs

Postby John61CT » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:23 pm

greygoos wrote:Try this link for lifting mechanisms https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlGH7EPHx30
Interesting!
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Vajra » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:41 pm

Great information and build logs listed here, but I notice something missing! There is so little information on the type of hinges used. I don't see much for pictures of the actual hinge installation or mechanics. Also, are any of these sealed at the hinges to prevent dust and rain intrusion? :thinking: I'd like to build a pop-up, however the hinge area would be at the front of the camper where it will meet 55mph+ wind, rain, etc... how about a list of available hinges and how to seal them up? I can only imagine I'm not the only one concerned with camping in wet weather! Water intrusion is never fun. :thumbdown: Love the different pop tops! :thumbsup:
Vajra
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:49 pm

Live or living hinge:https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=35979&catid=597

That's what I used on my front hatch design. Water intrusion while driving in rain is more of a problem around the hatch seals.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Vajra wrote:Great information and build logs listed here, but I notice something missing! There is so little information on the type of hinges used. I don't see much for pictures of the actual hinge installation or mechanics. Also, are any of these sealed at the hinges to prevent dust and rain intrusion? :thinking: I'd like to build a pop-up, however the hinge area would be at the front of the camper where it will meet 55mph+ wind, rain, etc... how about a list of available hinges and how to seal them up? I can only imagine I'm not the only one concerned with camping in wet weather! Water intrusion is never fun. :thumbdown: Love the different pop tops! :thumbsup:

If you look in the design library, in Design Resources, (in the blue letter head at the top) you will see the Compact3. The design shows an inner docking lip that helps a lot. (I originally called it a turtle neck and he laughed at that!) Also, in some of the pictures, you can see that, near the end of Andrew's designing, he added a quarter-rounded piece in front of the hinge. He never added that part to his diagrams; but, that would give you a front to block those winds and water and its curve should cause the wind and water to curve up and over, as well as lowering your resistance; thus, gas usage too. You would have to play with that part to be certain it didn't rub, etc. when raising the roof. Note: Andrew is no longer available to us and is believed to be designing trailers and air boats for the angels in heaven now, RIP.

PS. If you decide to use the curved piece on the front, it has to be a perfect quarter circle to do much good.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:56 pm

Found this picture of a vardo with a folding roof!!! Gotta love it! (Sorry...This compact pic is all I've found so far. ...I wonder how they make it leak-proof.)
If you click on the pic below, it gets bigger and you can see it better....:

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:43 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Found this picture of a vardo with a folding roof!!! Gotta love it! (Sorry...This compact pic is all I've found so far. ...I wonder how they make it leak-proof.)
If you click on the pic below, it gets bigger and you can see it better....:

Interesting idea and very cool looking vardo, especially the interior. I agree that it would be challenging to make it leak proof. After looking more carefully at the pictures I could see some sort of tarp with awning placed over the roof in the picture on the right from central picture after it is set up for camping. There is a clear difference in roof appearance between central picture and the one on the right.
OP827
Donating Member

Re: Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers w/ Lifting Roofs on 1st

Postby Postal_Dave » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Does my camper qualify for this post? :D
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49781
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:21 pm

Postal_Dave wrote:Does my camper qualify for this post? :D
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49781

Yes, Dave! Sorry I missed you! It's there now!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:35 am

Thank you for the add on the list! The possibilities are endless! Only restricted by ones own mind.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:09 pm

Hi Sharon, does my build qualify for this post?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:39 pm

Oh, Boy! It certainly does belong on the list!
Sorry, Oleg. :duh: I thought I had already added it.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:01 pm

Thanks Sharon! :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby publife » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:23 pm

This might be the solution to my tilted solar panel desire,to get the height I want/need!!
publife
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Simple_Abound » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:44 pm

Thank you for the recognition. I see no end in sight for the trailer, I don't think I could ever sell it, even though the family has outgrown it. It may be used for the big eclipse depending on the weather, we also have a Scamp. I'm trying to figure out a similar design but look like a traditional teardrop in travel mode.
Simple_Abound
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs