Kitchen Pass-thru?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Kitchen Pass-thru?

Postby Bikerman » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:50 pm

I can't find where I asked this some time ago, so I'll try again. Has anyone done a TD or TT with a pass-thru kitchen set up?

They all seem to be outside access, I've been camping for more than 50 years and being out in a storm I still get hungry :shock:

Has anyone set up their trailer so they can access the kitchen from inside, to cook something?

Seems like with many of the plans, a drop down door inside would give you access and a table to cook and eat off of.

Just haven't seen any... :thinking:
Bikerman
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Kitchen Pass-thru?

Postby M C Toyer » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:30 pm

I had considered it for a while with the kitchen area located at the back of a rear entry stand-up trailer. The plan was to attach the stove to one half of a double barn door and the ice box and sink to the other. The problem I faced was the difference in counter heigth inside and outside.

I have partially solved that on my current build by adding a fold-up rear deck at approximately the same height as the trailer floor and a slide out rather than attaching to the door.

I am however stretching the limits of a TTT, i.e., Tiny Travel Trailer.

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby Bikerman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:45 am

That seems like a good idea. A standup could have the counter or kitchen platform on slides pretty easily I'd think. Small pipe mounted to the door with pipe clamps with a flat bar welded to the clamp would provide a plate to mount a shelf on. Adjustable shelf mounts could be used too, probably take less than a minute to adjust the shelf and another to lift the shelf off that has the kitchen mounted to it. (take the counter off and adjust your brackets and put the shelf back on).

There are also some spring loaded brackets, if you're old enough to remeber the old typing desks, the top would flip over and the typewritter (that was a machine used prior to computers, LOL) would rise up and lock in place.

I like the slide idea too. In a crawl in trailer, seems you just sit with your legs crossed and cook your dinner.

Probably want a good vent fan if you're cooking bacon inside, one of my favorite smells but in a small space you'd probably want some fresh air.
Bikerman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Bikerman, when you're in the build journals section, if you go up to the search area and type Galley pass through and hit the search button, you'll come up with 10 screen pages on the subject. You may have tried but used the word "kitchen" instead of "galley". That's probably why you didn't find anything. We don't call 'em kitchens here. ;)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Bikerman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:48 pm

LOL, I need to get ship shape now, thanks, I'm headed past the head to the galley! :D
Bikerman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:34 am

Bikerman

I just read through a nice post tonight. It is for a weekend / rockhopper style design. It had a passthrough
to the galley. Most of the smaller teardrops I seen that have a passthrough just use them for small stuff like
coffee pots or access to a small microwave.

Here is the link. It is the 4 page on this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22856&start=45

I myself was thinking about passthrough to the the cooler and microwave in the plans I’m kicking around for
a Pop-up Benroy. It would be nice to nuke some soup or get some hot tea on those rainy days.
8)
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs