How to build

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

How to build

Postby deathbychocolate8 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:55 pm

:thinking: I am trying to get information on how to build step by step plans of a simple 4x8 or bigger teardrop trailer, I can even live with the modified boxer style because it is simple and so am I. I would like to store bikes on the back of the trailer for wife, son, and me to. I would not mind buying a trailer from tractor supply, or having one built by a pro, or doing it myself, but I want something that will last, and the best trailer for the buck. I have seen a lot of partial plans but nothing "this is how you do it". I would not mind paying for plans, but I dont like the idea of buying plans that I can get at the public library for free from old popular mechanics mags. Free plans would be better I will pay for postage! I am for Michigan, and we have some of the most pretty country you have ever seen, and the worst roads. Any good, realy good, advise for a son of a poor farmer?
deathbychocolate8
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:14 pm

If you want step by step instructions, you'll probably have to pay. Check out the generic Benroy plans here. http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=34
Pretty basic, but very helpful. Steve Federick from this site will be selling something you might be interested in soon. I think Kuffel Creek sells instructions also. Jim
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby deathbychocolate8 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:33 pm

:D Thanks for the help.
deathbychocolate8
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:46 pm

Where in Michigan are you?

Mike...

P.S. You forgot to mention the orange barrels... :?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby deathbychocolate8 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:16 pm

:) The big city of Adrian, five minutes from Ohio line.
deathbychocolate8
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:32 pm

deathbychocolate8 wrote::) The big city of Adrian, five minutes from Ohio line.

Oh my daughter lives near there... Next time we get camping out that way, you'll have to come and visit...

Mike...

P.S. We could get Boodro out there too I'll bet!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Boodro » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:53 pm

Hey there. DBC , I missed this one. I see I was mentioned also. Like Mike said if & when we can get together hopfully. Adrian is not that far from Sylvania. I also have a sister that lives in Blissfield on Crockett Highway. My Teardrop is basicly finished , just doing some minor finishing touches & a few small cahnges. If ya wanna lookysee , let me know. Checkout my Album here also . Lets see some pics if ya have any. :thumbsup:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deathbychocolate8 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:32 pm

:worship: Ok, progress report. I bought a ragged out 6x8 pop up for $50.00. My father in law (really good guy) told me the wheels and axel were well worth the fifty bucks. I ripped the pop up off. Oh it might be metal but a lot of it burns up swell, (sorry tree hugger's, I converted the metal and wood into usable carbon). I have sanded off the ruff spots of the trailer and am ready for 3/4 treated plywood, I am using 4x8 sheets so the seem will be in the middle of the six foot side. The wheels are inside the trailer, a slight problem. I am planning to build one foot high six foot wide and eight foot long storage area with three smaller, pull out drawers, two on each side in front of the wheels and one in back between the wheels. The advantages is more storage and more room to hide wires, I am planning to put tail lights in this back storage area instead of big back door. How do I insulate the floor and secure a strong 3/4 treated plywood floor on top of this storage area, I was thinking of ripping 2x4s in half and bracing everthing like a fat mans coffin, what do you think? I know this next queston is step 20, when I am just starting step 2 but, how do you bend 3/4 birch or red oak plywood (not sure which one I like better) to make that cool teardrop bend. I am planning to go with that stained wood look, unless I screw this up so bad that I have to cover the ugly monster with metal!
deathbychocolate8
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Boodro » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:18 am

DBC, first ,you WIL NOT BENd 3/4 ply ! :cry: I assume you are talking about the roof, that is usually made with 1/8 inch ply or paneling Then the finishe skin on top of that. Some find 1/8 ply hard to find . You may want to start looking for it now.
I did not insulate the floor , I installled the floor mats that you use in a shop, the kind that looks like a puzzle & the pices are 2' x2' made of dense foam rubber. It is nice to sit on if I ever take my mattress out, also some consider the mattress to be plenty of insulation . I did not see a need to insulate the floor!
I am not sure I understand how you are describing the box & floor attachment. If you can show a drawing or pic it would help.
When ya wanna stop by & see my TD ? Sorry I missed your last e-mail in time to set a visit up.

Ya'll be cool! 8)
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

update

Postby deathbychocolate8 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:36 am

Trailer finished, thak God for a father in law that can weild. The subfloor attached to the frame,the two sides cut and some studs in place. The door is cut, and I bought two used windows from an rv place for $20.00. All in all not bad for a prison screw. DWD :D
deathbychocolate8
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:38 am

DBC, How 'bout some pictures?
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs