Modified Glen-L build (Western PA)

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Modified Glen-L build (Western PA)

Postby mp43sniper » Thu May 11, 2017 8:06 am

Thank you for the links logman7777. I keep forgetting to reply but I certainly appreciate it.

Finally some news on the truck camper! :thumbsup: I didn't like my FRP siding idea. Exposed screws and joints that I didn't know how to properly seal up made me stop the build. I discovered this material:

Arctic White RV Fiberglass/Filon Siding from RV Parts Nation.

....and it's exactly what I needed. I now have enough to do both sides, the rear, and the front of the cabover. I'm waiting on the bottom and under cabover sections because I'll have some left over after cutting and it's pricey enough to make me wait and see if I can use the extra pieces in these areas. I hope to have new build news soon!

Craig
Last edited by mp43sniper on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
My truck camper project:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57275
mp43sniper
Teardrop Builder

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu May 11, 2017 10:11 am

Interesting build! Maybe we'll run into each other sometime! :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby mp43sniper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:22 am

Well it only took me 4 months, but here goes.

I removed the FRP from the sides of the truck camper last Saturday. It was hard to take off because I was really excited about that being a relatively inexpensive solution to my siding issue that had me held up for a long time and there were a ton of hours that went into it. I wanted something nice that I could install myself and not cost a fortune. But as soon as the panels were on I knew I had made a mistake. There were way too many opportunities for leaks, I had no idea what to do with the seams, and I hated the way it looked with the necessary screws all over the place. After looking around I found the fiberglass siding sold by the foot. That was ordered back in the spring but I didn't even open it up until now!

The other day I decided I actually did want to finish this project before I retired (only 25 more years to go) so I opened it up and laid the 3 pieces out in the sun to flatten out. Then all the FRP was removed and we discovered there was no way to hold up the fiberglass and trace the shape (even the individual pieces were way too heavy). I laid the FRP panels on the fiberglass and drew around them with room to finish cut later. So now we have both sides roughed out and up on the camper.

The right side has been glued from the window back and I'm hoping to have it completely glued tonight. Shooting to have the other side, back, and small front section done by the end of the weekend now that we have a game plan and renewed excitement.
Attachments
camper 091217 resized.jpg
camper 091217 resized.jpg (166.92 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
Craig
My truck camper project:
mp43sniper
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bikerman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:20 am

Enjoyed your build, has this been finished?
Bikerman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mp43sniper » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:06 pm

Thanks. Not sure it'll ever be "done"! But I'm working on the roof this month. I'd like to be able to use it in October. It won't have much of an interior, no electric or water, no jacks, etc etc, but I need to stay somewhere while pulling a car trailer. So now that I have a deadline maybe there will be some progress.
Craig
My truck camper project:
mp43sniper
Teardrop Builder

Postby mp43sniper » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:26 pm

Never thought I'd be able to post this...
Attachments
2018-10-11 15.17.22.jpg
2018-10-11 15.17.22.jpg (687.12 KiB) Viewed 3516 times
Craig
My truck camper project:
mp43sniper
Teardrop Builder

Postby mp43sniper » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:19 pm

We were able to finish the outside of the camper just in time (1am the morning we needed to leave) for our October trip. I needed to pull a car trailer and we already had reservations at the campground. In a few days, I installed the sheeting and rubber roof, roof vents, the outside trim, tie down attachments, torklift mounts on the truck, and probably some other things I forgot about already. The inside isn't done, but we got by just fine.
Craig
My truck camper project:
mp43sniper
Teardrop Builder

Postby pchast » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:40 pm

Congratulations on the successful trip. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mp43sniper » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks Pete. I had no idea how amazing it would be sleeping in a camper I built myself. I doubt that feeling will ever go away!
Craig
My truck camper project:
mp43sniper
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs