Bolt-together box trailer kit with roof top Tent

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Bolt-together box trailer kit with roof top Tent

Postby 123jay » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:11 pm

had my first set back Got some pressure treated plywood it had a bad spot in it so got a deal had them cut it for me to be the floor. I though the sides wall of the trailer where 1/4 " thick by bad should have got the tape out. The trailer is 40 & 1/2" wide had them cut at 39 & 1/2"" .well a tight fit then it rains. Well ply wood swells. try to cut it down on the band saw and the webbing on the UPPER WHEEL SHAFT HINGE ASSY broke in to pieces. So will have to get fixed .I have no real plans how this will go
This will give me time to find a Honda van tent and see how to make it a fold out. my plan is to have a raised floors for storage 12" would be great with draw slide outs to make it 6 foot to sleep on

This is the tent I will try to mate thinking it will have a clamshell top
401/2"X 48" open tailgate bolt together army kit around $450.00
If the world did not suck ,you fall off!
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby 123jay » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:32 am

Sorry about no Up dates first band saw Miss hap . Then want to put bigger tires on. So after reading other vender add, how how he cuts down Harbor Freight trailers .So I though that would be the trick so mark all my crosspieces .Then thous with greater know how put me in the right plan.
"Bear in mind that as you move the springs inwards, you are increasing the overhang from the spring to the wheel center, which increases the bending load on the axle. You are probably increasing the overhang by a third (to 4/3) so you should downrate the axle by at least a quarter (to 3/4).

Throw in an 'off-road' factor and you should be assuming the trailer carrying capacity is now half of what HF rated it for" .Thank you Angib

So GF cut the crosspieces think She was helping. So new crosspieces to get here this week and will be back at it
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby 123jay » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:00 pm

i have been ask what the front and back look like . it has the resets in it
I have not made up my mind what i will do on the back. I am getting the chuck wagon fiberglass components hand delivered on the15 to July 20. so will glue them up and do the no plan thing again not!
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby 123jay » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:15 pm

laid the pieces together to see what it look like .If I leave the pant it would look like some old metal trailer and not fiberglass will be get my chuck wagon fiberglass components here soon so will try to get it done by the 15th
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby 123jay » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:57 am

After put all the pieces some what together I put the a Jeep tailgate to see what it look like I like the diamond plate for the tailgate and I can get fiberglass diamond plate to do the chuck wagon sides
[img]123297[/img]
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby 123jay » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:07 pm

for more pic from
Last edited by 123jay on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby 123jay » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:50 pm

I tried to do the Kerfing the fiberglass. It did not work out just crack .
But good news for me I did some posting about this build for fc04 and they sent me some fiberglass diamond plate .
So on the hard shell rooftop will have to try to follow jscherb when he do his.
If anyone knows of hard shell rooftop plans that are flat that be great
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby jscherb » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:13 pm

123jay wrote:I tried to do the Kerfing the fiberglass. It did not work out just crack .
But good news for me I did some posting about this build for fc04 and they sent me some fiberglass diamond plate .
So on the hard shell rooftop will have to try to follow jscherb when he do his.
If anyone knows of hard shell rooftop plans that are flat that be great

If you tried to do the cutting with an ordinary saw, that's probably the problem - fiberglass is best cut with an abrasive tool, not a saw blade with teeth - the teeth impact the fiberglass and cause cracks.

For most of my fiberglass cutting, I use an abrasive cutoff disc in a 4 1/2" angle grinder. The disks are less than $2 each and are the type you might use to cut metal.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby 123jay » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks jscherb I cut it with a cut off wheel then sanded the top real thin .It would not bend strait then it would rip. When getting it to lay flat.So more than I want to deal With. I think it is the shape that make it week when cutting to much flat 4" per side and it's to be used in box shapes. I think your shape being rounded would have work better . I just wanted to mach the cover. I member you saying you where going to do a hard side clamshell some where. so will be keeping a eye out . Thank you for the help.
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby dogscats » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:07 pm

What ever happen to your build? I see there’s a kit on E-Bay
Did you ever finish your trailer and how is it holding up ?
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby schaney » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:35 am

Dogscats, if you are interested in doing a build like this of a fiberglass M416 style trailer, check out the thread Fiberglass bolt-together trailers, start on page 6. Dinoot Trailers are a well designed,"complete" solution, although I might be a little bias :)
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby dogscats » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:22 pm

I see they all so have a modular chuck wagon kit . This one has some pictures They sold the m100 kit. I'll try for the next one.
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby 123jay » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:04 pm

I needed a gas power cement mixer more than a trailer. So I trade it to a co-worker. His kids have been using the side panels as a bike jump ramp with no ell affect .At this time there the only manufacturer's that make a military style M 100/416 fiberglass trailer kit.
I see two of the box on a frame manufacturer's are going to add resets. I think more for strength. I have seen posted resets will make it 25% are more times stronger. Even one box on a frame trailer have posted they had a catastrophe flaw in the design.There fix make it even more of a box on a frame .To me they look Just built weak and cheap.
I see this manufacturer is selling the 6 foot military style fiberglass trailer kit. for$ 675 .If you don't have the time they sell a rolling trailer for less than some box on a frame manufacturer want for a full kit.
The trade work out good for me .I plan now to get one of there fiberglass components teardrop kit.
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby schaney » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:45 am

123jay wrote:At this time there the only manufacturer's that make a military style M 100/416 fiberglass trailer kit.

Yes, I agree, at this time my Dinoot Trailers are the only complete fiberglass M416 style trailer tub kit available. This panel set you purchased appears to leave the customer sorting out all kinds of details. Also, in all my searching, I can find a company website for them, any examples of completed customer builds or more importantly any example(s) of their own personal trailer build / usage.

123jay wrote:I see two of the box on a frame manufacturer's are going to add resets. I think more for strength. I have seen posted resets will make it 25% are more times stronger. Even one box on a frame trailer have posted they had a catastrophe flaw in the design.There fix make it even more of a box on a frame .

Please provide links / sources for this information. Information like this isn't very useful if you can look at the actual data and understand the details.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby dogscats » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:52 pm

I may hold off and see what they have in the teardrop line.
sch I just don't see it .It's just looks like all of the box on a frame trailers.Over 2300 post you have on the web.Have you ever posted anything but selling your box?
I just want to know about this trailer
Last edited by dogscats on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dogscats
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs