How's my car/camper sound like?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:40 am

how did your trailer turn out? July 2006
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby curiouswill » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:13 am

I'm still stuck without anything to use to make the trailer yet cause I'm still looking for a job. So far I'm asking a freecycle group in this city to see if there is any small trailer for free that I can pick up (you could be suprised to find some of the stuffs that they have up for grab)

I still have to find a way to secure the trailer that I may get in the parking lot of my aparment building though there are more than enough free space for it. any suggestion? (I don't think I can strap it down to a pole or anything so I need a stand-alone secutirty idea instead)
curiouswill
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:36 am

I too have not finished mine.

I am using a free boat trailer. that I can remove my camper from and use for other things.

I just have to get the lights on and wire the truck and I can get it licensed.

When you get the trailer if it has spoke wheels like mine you can put a bike lock thru them or a chain thru both wheels. If you are not going to use it for a while there are anti theft ways that you can remove later or there are hitch locks but they cost, but simply covering the hitch with grease will keep most people from even touching which you can clean off later. it will protect it from the weather and few people like sticky stuff.

If you have not started the build of the box, I just saw a trailer that was half storage half kitchen. The driver side was storage and the riders side was a kichen doors met in the middle on the side. It was called the chuck wagon.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby curiouswill » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:39 pm

I've looked up "chuck wagon trailer" at yahoo and found the pic that look like what u r talking about though I would like it if you could point me to where u saw it. Oh i think chuck wagon are also called dutch wagon cause of this site http://www.dutchwagon.net/

Thanks for getting me to search for this on yahoo cause i found a naming idea which is "Rolling Kitchen" but since I'm pretty much broke right now and are designing this to be as cost-effective and lightest as possible I'm thinking of calling it a "Hobo's Rolling Kitchen" :D If any of you have any idea of what other words to use to describe a poor person, I'll think about using it instead of "Hobo".
curiouswill
Teardrop Master

hobo?

Postby jay » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:48 pm

ever see the classic movie "Sullivan's Travels"???

not only is it a rivetting movie, complete with authentic Recreational Vehicle and comedic offering, it looks at what being "rich" really means. and having money isn't necessarily it. how many people are financially well off and lack imagination, initiative, and any amount of creativity? to me that's not to be envied.

and you could probably get the movie from the local library free and watch it at a friend's house if you don't have a VCR or DVD player.
jay
Donating Member

Postby curiouswill » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:54 pm

unforutnately movies that old are much more likely to not support Closed Caption which is what I need to understand the movies and shows. :cry:
curiouswill
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:28 pm

here is a site from down under that might be a help

www.drifta.com.au/product.htm

Hows the work thing going?

Ron D.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby curiouswill » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:59 am

cool i like the drifta product, i might incorporate some of the design aspect there into mine.

I'm still looking for a job :cry: but at least i've gotten some help with the job search so hopefully i'll find something soon. :worship:
curiouswill
Teardrop Master

A slight Update and a Question

Postby curiouswill » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:15 pm

Update on job and question about traveling kitchenware.

I'm still unemployed but I have a few Job interview lined up and hopefully I'll get one of them soon :worship:

I want to check and see what would be the best set of kitchenware I can use with my car/camper that I could still use regularly at home. I'm planning to get a dutch oven anyway so I would like to see, with the kitchenware suggestions, some tips on how to choose the right dutch oven for me. Remember I'll only be cooking for one.
curiouswill
Teardrop Master

Re: A slight Update and a Question

Postby Joanne » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:02 pm

Hey Curiouswill,

I know that I'm not close to Colorado, but I've been keeping my eyes open here in Vegas for a trailer for you. I figure if I can find one, we can figure a way to get it to you.

I went to K-Mart and WalMart for my camping kitchenware. The had some nice plastic plates/cups/bowls and such. I would suggest that you wander around there to see what you can find.

When it comes to a Dutch Oven and cooking for one, then I would suggest an 8", or possibly a 10". While the 8" looks pretty small, it will hold more food than I can eat at a setting. When I camp solo, those are the only two ovens I take. Even when there are two of us, a 12 is pretty big.

Good luck on your job! We'll all be cheering for you! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Joanne

curiouswill wrote:Update on job and question about traveling kitchenware.

I'm still unemployed but I have a few Job interview lined up and hopefully I'll get one of them soon :worship:

I want to check and see what would be the best set of kitchenware I can use with my car/camper that I could still use regularly at home. I'm planning to get a dutch oven anyway so I would like to see, with the kitchenware suggestions, some tips on how to choose the right dutch oven for me. Remember I'll only be cooking for one.
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:39 am

Joanne wrote:When it comes to a Dutch Oven and cooking for one, then I would suggest an 8", or possibly a 10". While the 8" looks pretty small, it will hold more food than I can eat at a setting. When I camp solo, those are the only two ovens I take. Even when there are two of us, a 12 is pretty big.

So far, I've only used the 10" oven, it was more than plenty of the 2 of us. So far the problem I've run into os that a lot of recipes are written for 12" ovens. I have to split the recipe by 2/3rds to fit the 10". What a pain, 1/2 would have been easier.

Went to a new outlet mall that opened near me. I went to the kitchen store to see if they had any Lodge DOs. They did, but they are the ones with the domed lids and no legs. Too bad, my cousin manages another store and I would have gotten the management discount. My parents are coming into town tomorrow, I'll take my dad to Cabela's to look around. Maybe I can finagle 14 incher out of him.

I might be able to build my stack as fast as that fogcrawler dude.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:55 am

asianflava wrote:I might be able to build my stack as fast as that fogcrawler dude.

I saw that too on the dutch oven site...
Man... Is that dude obsessed or what? :shock:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:57 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Man... Is that dude obsessed or what? :shock:

Especially when you mention 5" Lodge Dutch Oven.....I think he drools all over his keyboard.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby curiouswill » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:58 am

Joanne wrote:Hey Curiouswill,

I know that I'm not close to Colorado, but I've been keeping my eyes open here in Vegas for a trailer for you. I figure if I can find one, we can figure a way to get it to you.

Thanks, maybe once you find one, I'll have a little extra money and enought to drive out there and enjoy some camping on the way to pick the trailer up. Though it depending in if I get the job and how much I could afford to fix my car up (it need a new tire and a tune up (and maybe a few other stuffs) badly).
curiouswill
Teardrop Master

Postby curiouswill » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:31 am

Another little update:

I finally got a job at the taco bell/pizza hut less than a mile away from home (this is great cause this way I can just walk or ride my bike there and save a whole lots on gas money 8) )

So once I get my first check, I'll be going out to stores to find the best deals for kitchenware and would like to see if anybody here have any reccomendation of which store has the best values kitchenware such as pot and pan and stuffs. quality is not quite that important to me yet as I'm still learning to improve my cooking skill and thus would only like to have something that would last about a year (this way once I learn more about my cooking preferences, I would be able to pick out and buy whatever would work best for me personally).

I went to K-Mart and WalMart for my camping kitchenware. The had some nice plastic plates/cups/bowls and such. I would suggest that you wander around there to see what you can find.

This will be the first place i'll look at (maybe after checking out the ARC thrift store on the way cause sometime they have some awesome deals on their kitchen stuffs).
curiouswill
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs