Ultralight Toy Hauler and Sleeper

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Ultralight Toy Hauler and Sleeper

Postby Knolly » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:55 am

So this is an idea I've been playing around with and refining in my head for a while. I do a lot of track days and racing on my motorcycle, and rIght now I have an open trailer to carry the bike, some stands, gas, and some other miscellaneous things.

This is my current setup:

I've been pulling that with a Ford Fiesta with zero issues over the years. My lease on the Fiesta is up this December, and I'm trying to decide whether to get an E150 and an enclosed trailer, or stick with the system I have of a very light duty tow vehicle and a small trailer.

My goal with any trailer would be to have an enclosed area for my bike while hauling, and then an enclosed area to sleep in. No plumbing or anything fancy. I have a Honda generator that I use to power tire warmers during the day, so I can route in a plug to get electricity for charging and other basic stuff, but that's it.

So this is a concept I've come up with. WARNING: ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE DRAWINGS AHEAD. I was just trying to get them onto paper before taking the extra step and putting them into CAD.

The basic concept is a 4x8 (or maybe 5x8 or expanded to 5x8) open cargo trailer. Around that I build a raised sidewall (height undetermined, but at least two feet). Then plopped on top of that sidewall is a half-cyllinder (this is NOT a hemisphere) that is divided into three sections to allow it to slide open.

I'm a mechanical engineer so I can bug people into letting me use CNCs and whatnot for a lot of the components. I was thinking for the actual curved pieces some sort of slightly flexible plastic would be best, and I could even install a clear piece of plastic on top as a window/skylight. Also, the rear panel would obviously have to detach to load the motorcycle on, so the panel would have fittings to allow it to act as a ramp.

For sleeping, I'd basically have two halves of a bed with cushions attached on top that I could mount basically flush to the outer walls, so the inner walls of the trailer would be the solid part of the bed, protecting the cushion in-between the base of the bed and the outer wall. I'd either design a mechanism to let them swing up and rotate into a bed that locked together, or just make it so I could stick some mounds on the bottom to bring them level.

The "shell" would be able to lock fully open or fully closed, so if the trailer was hauling something taller then the shell it could still be used, as long as the first third portion of the shell didn't interfere with it.

My main concerns with this build are:
1. Having good rubber seals between the shell pieces - The middle portion would be the outer-most part, so that any water would have to go up inside the lips, so I'd have to find a good rubber seal that could both prevent moisture from getting in yet be flexible enough to withstand being slid back and forth. If rain is absolutely poring, I always have a 10x10 E-Z Up at these event that I could cover the trailer in though.
2. Ventilation: This is the trickiest part due to how the shell pieces fold together. I could build some sort of low profile fan into the rear shell piece (as it winds up being the inner-most piece) that sticks into the trailer a bit, but that's the only option due to the other parts either moving or being incased by other pieces.
3. Cost - Would this actually be cheaper than just getting an enclosed trailer? - Probably not. It actually mostly depends on if I decide to splurge and get a dedicated tow vehicle in the form of a cheap used E150 or E350. But there's something to be said for just having one vehicle with a 2000 lb towing capacity and decent mileage.

My goal is just to make this as flexible and well thought out as possible. My open trailer has evolved into a more and more useful setup over the last year (the photo I posted is just the most recent one I can find, I've since added more E-Track, a different ramp with a better mount, and I plan on adding a tongue box before this season begins), so I'm just giving this thing plenty of time to digest in my brain before considering putting something together this winter.
Knolly
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Ultralight Toy Hauler and Sleeper

Postby M C Toyer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:53 pm

Knolly -

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get lots of comments, suggestions and support for your project.

I am basically in the same place. I recently acquired a dual sport and already have a 4 x 8 utility trailer with 18" sidewalls.

Hard to see on the photo but there are 18 x 36 watertight storage boxes mounted beside the front wheel. Fuel will be a carried on a tongue rack.

I have two other trailers for more convenient and extended outings so this will be used for transport and rough camping.

I plan to make a single piece teardrop shell to fit over the sidewalls. It will be hinged at the front and lift from the rear. I'll include a couple of small windows on the side for ventilation. Will also create a zippered rear entry from a salvaged tent.

My small galley (Coleman and a cupboard) will consist of a couple of boxes hinged at the rear sidewall which will swing out for loading the bike and meal prep. The box sitting on the gas cans represents one of the boxes in the open position.

My tailgate doubles as a loading ramp and can also be used as a table. I built a larger folding ramp which slides in for transport and can be used as a sleeping platform when the bike is unloaded.
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby Knolly » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:27 am

Thanks, I've been lurking here for quite a while, and I definitely spend a lot of time daydreaming while looking through the cargo trailer conversion forum since that's sort of an ideal-world thing for me, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to have a a good tow vehicle and a nice enclosed trailer for a while (I MIGHT move this year and have a bit more flexibility, but in the meantime I'm constrained by downtown Chicago).

That's a TW200 right? I was going to recommend the Pit Bull Trailer Restraint over tie-downs, but I don't think they make one for your bike. What I used on a different trailer is something called Tyre-Down, where if you combine it with a front wheel chock makes loading really quick and easy without compressing the suspension.

I REALLY like the swing out galley idea. Very clever. My whole goal is to have an efficient use of space, and that's a really nice idea you've got there. If this trailer I'm planning comes to fruition (AKA if I don't just buy an E150 and an enclosed trailer) do you mind if I adapt that?

With having just a hinged top you've made me realize I might be overdesigning this. I originally had the idea for then shell design because I thought it would be too low to enclose the bike completely, so it'd have to be open during transport, but by raising the sidewalls and enclosing the bike, it really would be unnecessary to have such an intricate sliding system...
Knolly
Teardrop Inspector

Postby M C Toyer » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:20 am

Knolly -

Yes it is a TW200. I just installed those two boxes today so had to jerry-rig the tiedowns until I can reset the anchors but will check on the others you recommend. I do have a homemade front wheel chock that holds the bike while setting the tiedowns.

As for the swing out idea, not original with me - I saw several other examples on this forum. Same with the hinged top - a recent thread referred to a similar design as a "clamshell."

I have the skins from a 47 KIT which I'll probably use for a template - I set them in the trailer and the only mod I need for clearance is to replace the stock mirrors with under bar mounts which I prefer anyway.

I do not plan any insulation or interior finish so will probably skin with FRP or aluminum over a minimal boxed frame to save weight.

I've already camped without a top, but I did rig a canopy from some pvc electrical conduit and a tarp. It extends a foot or so outside the trailer. I placed the larger loading ramp crossways on the sidewalls and a one person backpack tent and self inflating mattress on top worked quite well plus I could access the galley and all my gear without leaving the trailer. Another alternative is just use my Kamp-Rite Tent Cot either in or out of the trailer and skip the canopy.

My original thoughts were somewhat like yours to try to incorporate full length storage boxes on each side and the lids for a bed but with the 4 feet wide trailer it was too much work for too little capacity after allowing for the bike width.
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby rowerwet » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:29 am

for easy to build and easy to tow (I use a Focus, not much more car than you have) I would make a 4 wide with a "rain drop" nose (with the round going from one side to the other instead of from the deck to the roof. this would give you maximum interior space for sleeping/ bike hauling. make the bed fold up to one side only (if it is just you, a single mattress would work). put a door on the curb side, up front for sleeping exit/entry/getting the gear up front in and out.

your rounded design would be cool, but coming up with the seals, and the close tolerance build would be a nigh-mare. keep it simple and light, your tow vehicle and wallet will be better off.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:54 pm

This idea was kicked around a few years ago from a guy that went to car shows. He pulled his car in a flat bed trailer. He was thinking along the same line as you, and posted a sketch of three peice ( like yours ) roll over front section to act like a camper for sleeping and napping while he car was on display. While the car was on the trailer for traveling part of the cover would act as a rock guard.

I tried but I can’t find the thread.

But here is what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FYk7LMVXNY
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:02 pm

So you're thinking of something like this?

or this...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rowerwet » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:13 pm

that is cool! did it have a bed in it?
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Hardryder56 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:46 pm

mikeschn wrote:So you're thinking of something like this?

or this...

Mike...

Mike that looks so good. I sure hope there is more holding the bike then just the wheel chock, hate to see it fish tail and tear up the saddle bags and the side cabinets.
Tom
Coffee is like liquid hugs, it warms you from the inside out
Hardryder56
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Non-traditional Designs