Idea for Tear with front slideout from Popup Doner

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Idea for Tear with front slideout from Popup Doner

Postby jimqpublic » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:39 pm

Crazy idea here.

I was just reading a thread on another forum about how people transition to small, light RV's to big ones. Typical was "We're using a popup trailer now, but when the kids are gone we'll retire and get a Class A"

My response was- I had a Class A. Now I have a Chalet. When the kids are gone I'll get something different but not bigger.

Then I got to thinking about the advantages of a popup- it tows small but camps big. Unfortunately the setup and cold weather performance rules them out to me.

But I got to thinking- What about a Hybrid. No, not one of those big hybrids. But thinking about building a teardrop-ish thing with a conventional popup trailer as the doner. Use a 10' box popup. Leave one of the front bed slide in place and construct the trailer such that it's usable closed up. If weather is nice and it's more than a quick overnighter, a hatch would open in the front and allow the bed to slide out, freeing up more interior space.

My thought is somehow do a bathroom with porta-potti & sit shower in the area between the wheel wells just ahead of the kitchen bulkhead. Or (more likely) crosswise bunks for the kids there.

It's just my first thought on the matter.

Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Small is better

Postby Tiki Dude » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:38 pm

I have a 2005 25' Komfort travel trailer that I have just stored because of it's size and the fuel issue. That is why I am building my modified teardrop. Those big rigs are just too restrictive and expensive. My wife and I are joking about the Komfort being our retirement home.

Besides, the teardrop concept gets us outside more. The big trailer arrives at a campground and you imediately retreat inside, thats not right.

We are into downsizing and keeping it simple.

Peace,
Tiki Dude

Tiki Dude
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:51 pm

Tiki Dude, you are right. We mainly go inside the tear to sleep, else we can sit outside just as well as the big rig, we just can't project the tv on the the side of it... well, I could, but it would be smaller...

When we travel/camp, we are there to do 'other' things. We can sit inside at home...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby beverlyt » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:26 pm

A hybrid. I kinda like the idea. Our small teardrop is good in most cases, but an "extendable" area for certain situations would have it's advantages.

:thinking:

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs