Removable cabin?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Removable cabin?

Postby BoulderDay » Fri May 09, 2014 8:13 am

I am looking around, but getting the search query correct is killing me. I am looking for a design that allows you to lift the camper off the trailer when not in use. Has anyone seen this? I have a utility trailer that has some hardpoints on the side with bolt holes. I figure I could use those to secure the camper. The real question is how to design the lift system so I can roll a trailer underneath. Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks, BD
BoulderDay
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Removable cabin?

Postby mallymal » Fri May 09, 2014 4:37 pm

A recent thread on similar lines started here
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41292 :thumbsup:
mallymal
The 300 Club

Postby BoulderDay » Sun May 18, 2014 8:51 am

mallymal wrote:A recent thread on similar lines started here
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41292 :thumbsup:

Thanks Mallymal!
BoulderDay
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ae6black » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:43 pm

I guess I never took any pictures of my build when it's off the trailer. I have a utility trailer that I use quite often that normally has a TD sitting in it. I probably had some overkill in my build but basically it's just a 4 X 8 that has 3/4 plywood walls for strength. To facilitate removal and reloading of the TD I simply incorporated a set of plastic "wood" runners under the base of my TD. Sandwiched between the plastic wood and the pressure treated wood base I built my TD on was metal tabs with holes in them that I could hook a come a long to. When I want to remove the TD I simply back up to a wooden storage rack made out of four sections of 2 X 4 or 2 X 6 that easily comes apart for storage when not in use. A come a long on either side easily assists sliding the TD on and off the storage rack. Not a whole lot of imagination involved, but it works. In an hour of so, I can slide the TD on or off an be ready to use the trailer as either a camper or a utility trailer. I made the storage rack several inches higher than the utility trailer so I can back up on a piece of 2 X 4 and unload with the assist of gravity. When I am loading the TD back on the Trailer, I simply have the trailer tires on the ground and come a long the TD from the storage rack down onto the trailer. Sorry, I never took any pictures with the TD when it was off loaded.
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby ctstaas » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:20 pm

when I built mine I rolled the cabin onto the trailer frame with a piece of 3" pipe a 1/2" shy of the cabin width and I thought how easy it would be to remove later and use the trailer as a flat bed. Then I wired and plumbed and that ship sailed and my TD is dedicated. I have a trailer made of a PU bed and think of building a teardrop shape camper shell for that. It would be easily converted and stored as needed.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Hey BoulderDay

If your still around Here is what you need. This thread is lost in the Gathering section.

Completed convertible TD, all comments welcome
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs