Dani's 5x9 Weekhopper w/ pics

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Dani's 5x9 Weekhopper w/ pics

Postby Danidog » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:40 pm

The hatch is very snug which I take as a good thing.

The two upper cabinets were installed with the opening facing in such a way that we could get to the contents( microwave and coffee maker) from inside or outside. Working on lower units now.

Thinking about two simple gravity sticks to hold the hatch up. Trying to save a few $$ so I don't go over my 1K budget.
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Referring back to three pics ago when I was showing the drip edge over the door, I'm considering taking the brass piano hinge off the side doors and using the living hinge such as I have on the galley hatch. Not sure about that, wondering if maybe the living hinge may sag?

Anywho, I have a LOT of living hinge left over. If anyone needs a bit for a door or galley hatch, p.m me, it's yours for the asking (my way of thanking the board users for all the great info here).
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:13 pm

[img]
galley%20setup.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
galley setup.jpg
galley setup.jpg (93.1 KiB) Viewed 8743 times
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:30 pm

In te pic just above this post, I am showing 18 inches depth from edge of ttt to edge of plywood up on edge. I will have a cabinet on either side, just under the upper cabinets tapered like the back of the trailer. the tapered portion will be shelves and the vertical will be drawer (Hope I'm making sense, hard to describe). The center portion will be counter top for prep and cooking with a hinged counter top to access the storage area underneath.

I have a question regarding sealing the galley hatch, I'll post that in construction area.
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:01 am

fenders with mounting brackets on ready for install.

Welding mounting brackets on was going to be cost prohibitive, so an engineer where I work suggested riveting them on since they were just faux fenders. Hopefully it will work out. Planning on using 5200 and bolts through the side walls to secure the fenders in place.
Last edited by Danidog on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:08 am

lower cabinet mock up roughed in. No doors on the lower cabinets, they are fitted to fit in between the galley hatch framework so the galley hatch serves as the cabinet doors, less material, less weight. After some deliberation, wife decided she does not want a drawer at bottom of cabinet. Okay by me, less work..., . There will be another cabinet on opposing side of TTT to match this one.
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:04 pm

So, what do you do when SWMBO says, "I want cedar siding," ?
Depends. On how long you've been married and how smart you are.
Going to fetch the cedar siding..., :lol:
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:48 am

It looks like I'm taking one step forward and two steps back. The 'decision' to go with cedar siding creates other issues. Now I have to go back and re-trim the doors and windows to make them finish out the same as the siding. It's all good...,
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:32 am

I am enjoying watching your build, Dani. I like the way you've designed those upper galley cupboards. Good idea! :thumbsup:

If you haven't already done it, please check and see how much weight cedar siding will add to your trailer and then decide if you still want to use it. I have no idea how much the siding might weigh but have a hunch that it could be a lot. :thinking:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Danidog » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:08 am

Beveled cedar siding is actually one of the lightest of wood sidings. I weighed the 7 bd bundle on this side and it was right at 30 lbs +/-. So that's 60 extra lbs. I'm still way under 800 on this build so far. $$ spent however are growing and growing.

Looks like I messed something up with the image..., I'll try to sort it out later.
Dan
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:05 pm

Danidog wrote:Beveled cedar siding is actually one of the lightest of wood sidings. I weighed the 7 bd bundle on this side and it was right at 30 lbs +/-. So that's 60 extra lbs. I'm still way under 800 on this build so far. $$ spent however are growing and growing.

Dan

...800 lbs is good! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Danidog » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Cedar TNTTT.jpg
Cedar TNTTT.jpg (192.35 KiB) Viewed 8418 times
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:42 pm

Not sure I like it. Maybe need some trim around the outer edges to dress it up.
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:48 pm

The doctor gave me the go-ahead so I got a little done this weekend. Finished up the side pictured earlier and am satisfied with the way it looks. Started on the opposite side and am about halfway finished with that. I hope I can get that finished up tomorrow and head to big box store and pick up a/c for installation.
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:11 pm

finished cedar trim.jpg
finished cedar trim.jpg (151.29 KiB) Viewed 8218 times

Both sides finished now.
Faux fenders in place.

Semi-Transparent stain selected. I wanted to leaved it natural as I love the warm look of wood grain. Wife and daughter voted 2 to 1 against me. They picked out a semi-transparent stain that matches my silver grey tow vehicle. I must admit, it does look good with with truck.

Can't decide what color would be good for the door and window trim now. They (wife and daughter) don't have a clue and I'm the wrong person to choose a complimentary color for anything.
Any suggestions?
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs