Dani's 5x9 Weekhopper w/ pics

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Dani's 5x9 Weekhopper w/ pics

Postby Danidog » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:38 pm

painted.jpg
painted.jpg (252.15 KiB) Viewed 7406 times

Got some color on it today.
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:47 pm

bumper mockup.jpg
bumper mockup.jpg (206.27 KiB) Viewed 7405 times

Starting to work the 4 x 6 into a rear bumper. The lights will be installed on the very ends of the bumper, but still just under the siding to fill in the rest of the width.
Again the color is off. This paint is the same silver/grey as the siding paint.

After winter is over, I plan on putting the siding on the back, from the hinge down to the bumper. Running out of time right now, have to be camp-able within the next few weeks.

Wiley windows for two windows nearest galley, Hoping that will give me enough ventilation during the cool/cold months (or will I need a fan to draw more air in than what will naturally circulate with two windows cracked?).
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:39 pm

Too cold to pull the TTT out for a couple piccies but I did get the very nice L shaped door handles and latches and galley hatch latches I ordered from Grant installed.

Most of what is left is interior work and with colder weather arriving that is a good thing. I can put a small elec. heater inside the evening before and have it nice and toasty warm for the rest of the work. The floor will be carpeted with a dark gray color, the walls will have a beige color carpet and the ceiling and spars will be bright.

You know, what I REALLY like about these little trailers is that I can see that if there is something I've done this year that I don't like, I can change it next year with minimal effort. How cool is that!
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:51 pm

You know, what I REALLY like about these little trailers is that I can see that if there is something I've done this year that I don't like, I can change it next year with minimal effort. How cool is that!

:thumbsup: It sounds like you have a good plan. Stay warm!
You may want to add a clear sealer on that transparent stain; but, I'm not certain.... :thinking:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Danidog » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:03 am

I wondered about that also, posted the question over in skins and things (or whatever it's called). Thanks for the look out!

Dan
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:21 am

I was reading through some other build threads regarding insulation and it reminded me how hot my old work van conversion was in the summertime with no insulation in it. I already have 2x2's in the ceiling, so I think it would be a good idea to put some 1.5" thick foam insulation between them to help keep the heat down inside a little bit.

Bought a roll of formica to start skinning the galley area, just have to wait for a decent weather day for that since the contact cement will put me in a coma in a tight area :?
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danidog » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:28 pm

Not a lot of progress to report, winter caught me before I could Get much more accomplished. I was able to insulate the ceiling and will install some nice birch ply over the insulation. The carpet has been cut into squares that will be turned to diamond shapes to cover the walls in an alternating color pattern of beige and gray. I'm reworking the galley wall cabinets to something nicer ( I hope). Trying to keep the cabin fever at bay by writing (or rather trying to finish) two novels and completing a CD of songs I wrote. Looking forward to our fist camping trip in the early spring. Have fun everyone and be safe out there.
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:01 pm

January becomes a tough month most everywhere. As the days get longer, the temperatures and weather are sure to improve, though. This is the time when I dream up new camping meals, look through books and the Internet for camp grounds and check maps for destinations. Dreaming and planning helps a lot. ;)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doris s. » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:10 pm

Dani,

I love your build. I was wondering what you did with the roof and back. Did you just paint it?

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby Danidog » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:00 am

Hi Doris, the roof will be canvas and paint (the tight bond II type) and I'm still thinking about the back having the lap siding just like the sides, but I really won't know until I get to that point. It may end up b
eing canvas and paint just like the roof.

My "planning" is a seat of the pants kinda deal, if you know what I mean...

Best Regards,
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 39Ratrod » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:16 am

I really like your build! My current plan looks quite similar. I have my floor all built, and have begun the side walls. The doors are cut out, but that's where I scratch my head. When it comes to seals and latches I am not sure how I want to do them. How thick are your doors? I assume 3/4" ply.
The biggest difference between a dreamer and a doer is the follow through.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby Danidog » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi,
Yeah, the walls and doors are 3/4" plywood. This is my first TTT build so I don't know that I'm the best person to ask for a 'good', or 'correct' way of doing the door. Basically, I just cut the door out the size I wanted it and then on the inside wall side I made a wood 'picture frame' 2" wide that laps over the door opening so that when I close the door, it is closing against that inner picture frame. The bottom of the opening in the wall is angled to allow water to run away instead of inside. I have a rubber gasket on the inside picture frame thingie and another gasket on the inside of the outside trim going around the exterior of the door. Only time will tell how watertight it will be. My TTT will live in a garage and have one of the 10' x 10' canopy covers over it when I use it, so I guess it will be 'good enough' for the first build.

Good luck with yours, hope you have half as much fun building it as I am having (but wishing for warmer weather so I can get back to it... ).

Regards,

Dan
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 39Ratrod » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:36 pm

Danidog wrote:Hi,
Yeah, the walls and doors are 3/4" plywood. This is my first TTT build so I don't know that I'm the best person to ask for a 'good', or 'correct' way of doing the door. Basically, I just cut the door out the size I wanted it and then on the inside wall side I made a wood 'picture frame' 2" wide that laps over the door opening so that when I close the door, it is closing against that inner picture frame. The bottom of the opening in the wall is angled to allow water to run away instead of inside. I have a rubber gasket on the inside picture frame thingie and another gasket on the inside of the outside trim going around the exterior of the door. Only time will tell how watertight it will be. My TTT will live in a garage and have one of the 10' x 10' canopy covers over it when I use it, so I guess it will be 'good enough' for the first build.

Good luck with yours, hope you have half as much fun building it as I am having (but wishing for warmer weather so I can get back to it... ).

Regards,

Dan

That's pretty much the direction I was headed on my doors...cool! I hear ya on the warmer weather. It's single digits here, wrong time to start such a obsession! Thanks for your response, happy building!!!

Mick
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby Danidog » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:43 am

Weather is finally warming up, spring is here so I dug out the TTT and am getting ready to get started on getting finished. :worship:
Ordered some seamless canvas for the roof surfaces, and will be applying another coat of stain on outside and then poly to protect it.

Mick, looks lie you haven't been sitting idle on your build. Looks good!

Dan
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 39Ratrod » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:51 am

Danidog wrote:Weather is finally warming up, spring is here so I dug out the TTT and am getting ready to get started on getting finished. :worship:
Ordered some seamless canvas for the roof surfaces, and will be applying another coat of stain on outside and then poly to protect it.

Mick, looks lie you haven't been sitting idle on your build. Looks good!

Dan

Thanks! It has been a blast to build and use!! Can't wait to see some more of your updates.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs