Teal Take-Apart Trailer

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Teal Take-Apart Trailer

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:23 am

Here is an interesting trailer to be and looks like it is now available -- It can be placed on a 4x8 utility trailer and is a small component trailer that the mfg says you can put it on a utility trailer and assemble it all in 90 minutes :? A bit pricy, but maybe this could be a slick way to get started :hammer:

Manufacturing costs were up in the air; according to gizmag; however, Drake published some projected prices, but as you notice changed the early pricing. PROJECTED PRICES: For the most basic shell, which includes exterior panels, a fixed roof and doors, but no interior equipment, the listed estimate is just under US$3,000. Full campers, which include more windows, a cabinet with sink, bed, dining area, and pop-up roof, are projected at a starting price of just under $5,000.
THE NOW PRICES: It looks like the price went up since the Teal hit the market ... According to gizmag: http://www.gizmag.com/teal-modular-shel ... ers/24809/
The full kit retails for US$7,300. The P58 5 x 8-foot (1.5 x 2.4-m) version retails for $7,500, and the P510 5 x 10-foot (1.5 x 3-m) version for $7,995. Those prices represent a sizable increase over the $5,000 being estimated last spring, but the kits also include some added equipment, such as the sink cabinet. The trailer itself is not included with purchase and will need to be supplied separately. Beyond the camper, Drake also sees some potential for his panel system to be applied to other lightweight shelter solutions. He cites things like ice fishing huts, hunting blinds and emergency shelters as projects that the Teal panels would be well-suited for.

http://www.tealinternational.com/TailFeather/
Attachments
tealcamper-32.jpg
tealcamper-32.jpg (39.4 KiB) Viewed 5889 times
tealcamper-6.jpg
tealcamper-6.jpg (71.95 KiB) Viewed 5889 times
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Re: Teal Take-Apart Trailer

Postby DrCrash » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:16 pm

my humble opinion way over priced. Cool design but for plastic and straps not worth 8 grand
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:11 pm

I agree, but thought I would post it ... one never knows who might be interested $> $>

The design also shows a neat way to build modular and this may interest someone as well ... but as you say, it is too pricey for me. A good used cargo is much less and fairly reasonable to convert 8)
John (JC)

An AZ Desert Transplant
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby Abaker50 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:19 pm

I went up to Loveland CO this afternoon to talk with Larry Drake and take a look at the Tailfeather in person. I thought I’d write up my visit for those who have expressed interest in hearing from someone who has actually seen the product. ;)

Larry is a super-nice guy - very down to earth & open about his stuff. The shell I looked at was one of the later pre-production prototypes, designed to fit a 5’x10’ utility trailer. It has the newer roof design rather than the pop-up. We also went to his workshop to see some of the parts that are currently in production, as well.

Yes, it’s plastic - really, really tough double-walled ABS plastic. The kind of plastic molded for really good public playground equipment, picnic tables, boat hulls, car bumpers, etc. The seams are sealed with rubber gaskets, like those used to seal car doors, and there are two on each panel. They are offset so that when the panels are put together, one runs along the outside of the seam & the other runs along the inside.

Larry keeps this one set up, uncovered, in his backyard. It’s been there a couple of years & is showing no signs of wear on the outside nor leakage inside. It felt much roomier inside than it looks in the pictures on the Teal web site and it felt very sturdy & solid.

Admittedly, I never was as skeptical as some of you, but I tried to go in with an open mind & look for the kinds of things that might fail. All-in-all, I was impressed with the workmanship. I think the outside looked somewhat better in person than it did in pictures & the inside was much roomier & more comfortable than I expected. :thumbsup:

Let me know if there’s more you’d like to know. :)
Abaker50
Teardrop Builder

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:02 pm

Hi Abaker50,
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to visit the mfg and follow up here ... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The trailer looked neat to me, but as was said previously, it is a bit pricey for me, but I am kind of cheap anyway, why else would I convert a CT and drive a '91 Blazer with about 300K on the odometer?
:D
Thanks again and there is always someone that may pick one up ... it looks sturdy, insulated, and is a tough ABS material .... Great info and thanks again ...
:applause: :applause:
John (JC)

An AZ Desert Transplant
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:33 pm

Terribly expensive IMHO. By the time you buy everything you need to make it a camper (trailer, wheels, jacks, water system, electrical system, cabinets, etc) you could buy a commercial camper for cheaper.

Great concept but he missed the mark on pricing.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Abaker50 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:05 pm

bdosborn wrote:Terribly expensive IMHO. By the time you buy everything you need to make it a camper (trailer, wheels, jacks, water system, electrical system, cabinets, etc) you could buy a commercial camper for cheaper.

Great concept but he missed the mark on pricing.

Bruce

The price is a good point & I think is the result of trying to get good quality components with small production runs - something that seems to be an ongoing problem in this economy. :(

On the other hand, I think it largely depends on one's needs. Personally, I’m less interested in comparing the cost to other commercial campers than in how closely it fits our needs. There’s very little out there with comparable size vs weight and storability and what little I’ve found is actually way more expensive. We don’t need or want plumbing, electrical, cabinets, etc. and we would probably have to remove them from another commercial camper to try to get the weight down - which can affect structural integrity in some shells. The fact that the Tailfeather is modular means that we don’t have to add or pay for those systems, which brings the cost down quite a bit.

The only less expensive options we have, really, are building our own or buying a used commercial trailer and doing extensive modification and/or repair. Either way, the trade-off for the lower cost, is a significantly longer period before the project is useable, the inevitable mistakes and do-overs of such a process & trying to come up with solutions that Tailfeather has already solved. Both are still good options, but there is a real trade-off to consider.

Cheers :wine:

-Andrea
Abaker50
Teardrop Builder

Postby Abaker50 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:47 pm

We've put a deposit down on the Tailfeather shell & I got our Jeep hitched this past weekend. Now to get a trailer to use as a chassis. Here goes nothin' :worship:

I'll keep you posted., if you're interested.

Thanks,
Andrea
Abaker50
Teardrop Builder

Postby Thommyknocker » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:54 pm

Abaker50 wrote:I went up to Loveland CO this afternoon....

:)

Hi neighbor. Good luck with your project
Thanks for having me
Thommyknocker
Teardrop Builder

Postby 39Ratrod » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:34 pm

Abaker50 wrote:We've put a deposit down on the Tailfeather shell & I got our Jeep hitched this past weekend. Now to get a trailer to use as a chassis. Here goes nothin' :worship:

Thanks,
Andrea

I'm interested. May not appeal to everyone and that's ok. Anytime something is built in small runs it's going to cost more. I think it's a cool idea.
The biggest difference between a dreamer and a doer is the follow through.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:34 pm

I like the idea as well and would like an update on your progress.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby paul.luna » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:45 am

My brother got me into the whole Tiny Trailer and Teardrop world this is one of the cool ideas he showed me as well. I love the idea and the product looks fantastic. I could see the uses and how I could use one. Just wish I could afford it. That's also not to say even if I got a Shell that I still wouldn't build another Traditional TD. I love building. Best of luck with your project I'd love to see more.

-Paul
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:05 pm

Abaker50 wrote:We've put a deposit down on the Tailfeather shell & I got our Jeep hitched this past weekend. Now to get a trailer to use as a chassis. Here goes nothin' :worship:

Thanks,
Andrea

Hmm, no posts after they put a deposit down. I wonder how they liked it or was this spam?

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Non-traditional Designs