The Mick'en Coop

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: The Mick'en Coop

Postby 39Ratrod » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:34 pm

Put the lights on, then covered the wiring with a furring strip.
The biggest difference between a dreamer and a doer is the follow through.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:36 pm

What a great idea and construction results. I see how it can be made waterproof for the outside (except you probably do not want glass on the outside).
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby 39Ratrod » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:05 pm

lrrowe wrote:What a great idea and construction results. I see how it can be made waterproof for the outside (except you probably do not want glass on the outside).

Thanks for the compliment! They are actually mount on the outside as the porch lights. The glass unthreads easily, so I could remove them during traveling. I think they will hold up pretty good. Those mason jars are tough!

Mick
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby 39Ratrod » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:27 am

Welded up and installed the roof rack mounts.

Cut the roof for the hatch. This was kindof a daunting task. Like when I chopped the top on my 39 Chevy truck. Once cut there is no turning back. Should work well.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:46 am

Way to think outside the box!! Pie plate windows,cool.It would be really cool if you could make them willys style that open.
Car lights in caning jars, Wow
The car light can be replaced with led at a very low cost to reduce you power requirements.(if you leave one on in the morning your battery would be dead!)
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 39Ratrod » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:07 pm

KennethW wrote:Way to think outside the box!! Pie plate windows,cool.It would be really cool if you could make them willys style that open.
Car lights in caning jars, Wow
The car light can be replaced with led at a very low cost to reduce you power requirements.(if you leave one on in the morning your battery would be dead!)

Thanks for the comment KW. I hear ya on the power drain of regular bulbs. Need to score a set of 3157 led's.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby 39Ratrod » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:18 pm

Took me long enough, but it is finally all skinned in ply. Had to finish some ribbing in the roof. Not visible is the framed area for the 9" roof vent In the rear sloping section before the hatch. Figured a 14" might not look right from an aspect ratio.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby 39Ratrod » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:25 am

Got it on the trailer this weekend. Wife and I tipped on the rear wall, I painted the underside of the floor and add the 2x's to get the height to clear the rails of the trailer. I know, I know weight, weight, weight! Oh well it's down low so I don't mind so much. Also painted the areas the jack mounts and roof rack brackets will be.
For the jack mounts I used some 1/8" wall 3x3 tubing cut in half so it tuned it into angle iron, and bought a 18" receiver tube from HF and cut it into 4" chunks and welded it together and placed these at each corner.

The roof rack mounts are just some random steel with a SPICER U-Joint strap from a semi for the crossbar attaching point.

Pulled it out of the shop to look at it in daylight, and to see how the Eagle pulled it. It pulled it well. It should with a .060" over 258, 4.0 head, fuel injection, Comp cam, etc. I guess I better not get too excited, far from done, and far from it's finished weight.

Made some progress on the galley too.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby Patti » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:25 am

Considering the pie plate windows [which I think are awesome] and their potential to shatter, is there any kind of clear film you can put on them from the inside so that if they do break, they will stick to the film and be less likely to leave glass splinters everywhere?
Patti
Teardrop Builder

Postby KennethW » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:50 am

Patti, One could paint the pie plates with clear rock guard paint. Rock guard paint is rubber like.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 39Ratrod » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:18 am

Made a little more progress on the inside. Got most of the wall board up which as I may have mentioned earlier is some old flooring my wife got for free. It's the fax snap together stuff, but it looks good in here. Don't let the photos fool ya, taken with a GoPro so everything looks bigger with that lense up close. I painted the interior side of the galley wall the same color as the exterior. The curtains and other accents will be made from the flannel sheet I'm using as a door at the moment. Should match nicely.

Some cushions out of our cabover camper, just to get the feel of it.

A little more insulation and I'll finish the roof. Then onto the bed and doors!

39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:36 am

Mick, you are moving along quickly. There should be no reason you can't be ready for camping season. :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 39Ratrod » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:23 am

Been working on it pretty steady. The doors are on and I have been skim coating the roof with Bondo. What a pain! This is my first time using the stuff and it's hard mix it in any large quantity, so it's been a tedious task. I like how it smoothes and seals everything up. Pulled it out into the pasture and my son and I stayed in it last Saturday night. It is pretty comfy. Also wired in my a/c lights. I scored 3 cases of light fixtures from Habitat For Humanity. They were having a huge sale where everything was 75% off, so it was $5 a case. There were 6 to a case! They are perfect! They have their own switch, and a built in outlet.

I'll post some pics here soon of the progress.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby 39Ratrod » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:23 pm

Got more of the body filler spread. Pulled it outside for sanding and thought I'd take a few pictures.

One nice thing about using Mason Jars for the porch lights.....I always have a glass for cocktail!

Placed a hook on the door for my bladder pack. Easy access for a necessary item.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby 39Ratrod » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:25 pm

Oh Yeah! Got the struts installed on the hatch....works like a charm!
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs