Help me design "The Impossible" LOL

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Help me design "The Impossible" LOL

Postby loaderman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:30 pm

Here are the desired specs.
- Under about 1200lb, 1000lb would be better as we always add as we go along in a build and add weight in the process.
- Able to sleep 4 adults, preferrebly a 54" bed and 2 bunk beds about 32" deep, couch could become bunk. 54" bed is a permanent bed not a dinette that becomes a be.
- the bunk bed would probably be a dinette of some sort, we figure it is easier to roll up sleeping bags for the teens then the parents bed
- A standie when stopped. can be a pop up of some sort so aerodynamic when towing.
- Aerodynamic, a tear drop comes to mind. can pop up or be a clamshell design, must pop up quickly as well will camp in the rain, that is the reason for the need of a dinette.
- Not against a tent top but has to be a quick set up and keep stuff inside trailer dry even as it is being set up, something attached at all times, or where the lid opens and pops up the tent as you open it.
- a portapotti area, maybe a closet that expands to also sponge bath/shower.
- stove and fridge not needed just shelves for a cooler and such, and a counter top.
- Propane heater, as we camp in the mountains and it can still freeze in june, we have had snow in every month before!

I know this may be impossible but I thought i would ask you guys as I have seen some interesting designs on here.

I have some idea but maybe will not post yet as I do not want to direct others in any way so as to get new ideas.

Thanks for any input.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Re: Help me design "The Impossible" LOL

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:59 am

How about a long A-frame with folding dormers on each end?
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby loaderman » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Long A frame? You mean like an a frame house? Peak running side to side, then pop up dormers of some sort?
I not quite picturing it. Could you do up a quick sketch?
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:39 am

You might be after a wider version of john sheppard's winter warrior

dinette can stay up full time

beds on each side of the dinette

two bunk beds in the front, like the raindrop

http://cdn.blog.rvshare.com/wp-content/ ... jpg?de6dcd

and of course, built in foam

In the back, on one side can be the porta potty, and on the other side the galley, as in this design...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby loaderman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:15 pm

that looks interesting. wondering if it can be build around 1000 - 1200lbs even in foam?
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby OP827 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:46 am

As you are looking for permanent bed and dinnete/bunks, bathroom area, then the dimensions of the trailer footprint has to be wide and long enough to accomodate that. Let's do an estimation of such foam structure shell, it would be roughly 80" wide, 14'-6" long, 6'-6" high. I will use example of a FG sandwich panel weight (6ozFG+1.5"XPS+6ozFG) with several minimalistic stiffeners across would be roughly 60-70lbs. That comes to 0.62-0.72lbs of weight per sq.ft sandwich panel. Total weight of such sandwich panel box measured as 6.7'W x 14.5'L x 6.5'H comes to roughly 500lbs. Rest of windows, floor, furniture, trailer frame etc. would have to be remaining 500-700lbs. 10' long trailer frame with small 10" wheels is about 360lbs, IIRC. Can 1000-1200lbs of such size trailer be done, I think yes, but only if a different approach is taken to the build; like in airspace, no extra needed weight, anywhere. Typical trailers (at least in North America) are not built like that. If you search the web, you'll see what I mean. Some new big size camping trailers from Europe and Australia have only a lighter steel web longitudional members attached to a load bearing floor sandwich panel and jack stands are afixed directly to that floor panel, not the steel "frame". If trailer is made as an integral structure where all elements are included in structural work, the light weight gains can be made. Additional weight savings are from optimizing the form, like sloping the roof in areas where high walls are not required, building furniture from very light weight material, carry water in TV or not carry it at all, make lifting roof part smaller to only where standing space is needed, etc.

It is a challenging design to achieve 1200lbs to your above listed requirements, but I think it should be possible.

Is the below floorplan (from google search) somewhat close to your requirements?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:08 pm

This is the type of lighter frame I mentioned above. You can see that jacks would be fixed to the floor, not frame. This frame is more "evenly stressed" in every point along its length as they say in stress analysis.

BTW, the "Ultralight A-frame" in design library of this forum when combined with properly build structural floor makes sense too for such a lighter build. Sections of angles or C-section of course will have to be upsized properly to carry the trailer 1200lbs load.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:11 pm

Tomterrific wrote:How about a long A-frame with folding dormers on each end?

Perhaps something like this?
BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

Postby bsekisser » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:20 pm

Jealous! Now that's cool! Interior pics & details?

BigGoofyGuy wrote:
Tomterrific wrote:How about a long A-frame with folding dormers on each end?

Perhaps something like this?
bsekisser
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:27 pm

Do a search for Aliner Truck Camper!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Non-traditional Designs