Heresy! - The Compact

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Heresy! - The Compact

Postby angib » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:45 pm

(No-one seems to be using this part of the board so I thought I'd 'give it some air'.)

This design should get absolutely everyone's backs up! :twisted: It's square, it's certainly not a teardrop, it may not even be tiny, you can stand up in it, it's got the galley inside and it's not very simple.

However it's a (sorta) copy of what I do think is an interesting design - the Compact Jr and/or Compact II, moulded in fiberglass in the 1970s. Pretty much the minimum size trailer with 2 berths and standing headroom.

My version is redesigned for one-off building in plywood and the plans are here.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:04 pm

Somehow I have a feeling you have our infamous tailgater in mind when you designed this...

It's a beautiful design, and lends itself to many modifications, by the aforementioned...!!! LOL...

Can you replace the canvas with wood?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tdthinker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:14 pm

I am in the works of designing a "tear" that is a tailgater with no bed in it at all. I will need your help to get it on here mike. I will try to get it to you tomarrow or so. bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Hey yo

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:33 am

Is that a shot at me?
Looking to build the ultimate tailgating machine, anyone help me?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:05 am

Mike,

I did try to make folding side and end panels from double-skin wood, but even trying to be so clever that my brain made a humming noise, I couldn't get what I thought would be a watertight seal between the pieces - all the long edges are easy-peasy, but the last couple of inches in each corner get quite tricky.

Your 'hat over the top' design is the way to go for a hard-sided roof though it loses quite some width (four panel thicknesses plus two seal widths) and might have a couple of interesting sealing problems itself.

I have looked at double-skinned 'canvas' with a foam interlayer (look at a modern copnvertible car hood), but it needs quite a bit more 'folding' space. Seems to me the easiest thing on the Compact is just to put the roof down!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:24 am

Your brain made a humming noise eh? That sounds pretty scary.

But you're right, a hard sided pop up roof is quite a feat! Well, sleep on it... you never know!!! :wink:

Mike...

P.S. If the aliner can do it, you can do it!!!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Hey yo

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:10 am

TAILGATINGnNUT wrote:Is that a shot at me?

It's not exactly a shot... but this trailer would make a good tailgating machine... What do you think?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:41 pm

i know it is it made me change my mind AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im looking around for trailers, I am going to build on a 5'8 trailer no matter that I build, i mocked up the 4'4 and its jsut too damn small
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Angib

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:44 pm

WHere are the plans for that "TAILGATING MACHINE" and what is a one off?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby tdthinker » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:30 pm

ok, no time to get the plans done on the tailgater yet, to busy with my new car. I hope to get it drawn up tommarow due to rain. I guess it is up to the weather, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Re: Angib

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:55 am

TAILGATINGnNUT wrote:WHere are the plans for that "TAILGATING MACHINE" and what is a one off?

In case you missed Andrew's link up there.. here it is again
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear48.htm

Mike...

P.S. Think, "One of a kind"!!!
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:40 am

yes that one is a good choice. Id love for you to add more details to it though, mike your site is gonna be real helpful, im jsut gonna sit back and watch. Cany yo make it reallllllllllll remedial as far as details go? laying hte floor mounting hte walls and all the stuff you may take for granted is hard to the tool impaired
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:17 am

Well, that's Andrew's design. I don't know much about it. I also don't have time to do any modeling on it, since I have some folks that are waiting on some more Weekender information...

Maybe if you ask specific questions we can help you out.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Non-traditional Designs