Custom Truck Camper

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Custom Truck Camper

Postby MadMango » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:54 am

I'm still not completed with my finishing touches on the Mobile Mango, but a new idea has entered my noggin. I'm having thoughts of building a truck camper for my '13 F-150. I've been thinking of the construction, and I think an economical approach would be to use a truck rack like this as the foundation. For an initial cost of $260, that sounds great.

This would allow me to sandwich rigid foam between the metal uprights, and skin the exterior and interior with 1/4 and 1/8 plywood. I would like a child bed on the extension over the cab, and I could either build a platform that rests on the wheel wells to allow for some shallow bottom storage, or build upright cabinets in front and behind the wells. I don't think I can incorporate a kitchen with this design, but might be able to create some sort of chuckwagon box.

This would allow me and my son to go camping with relative ease and at a moments notice. My wife has started a new job, and while she now only works 3 days a week, it is Friday-Sunday. Ugh. :(
Do you think this would be a good starting point?
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Re: Custom Truck Camper

Postby ChefConroy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:29 pm

MadMango wrote:I'm still not completed with my finishing touches on the Mobile Mango, but a new idea has entered my noggin. I'm having thoughts of building a truck camper for my '13 F-150. I've been thinking of the construction, and I think an economical approach would be to use a truck rack like this as the foundation. For an initial cost of $260, that sounds great.

This would allow me to sandwich rigid foam between the metal uprights, and skin the exterior and interior with 1/4 and 1/8 plywood. I would like a child bed on the extension over the cab, and I could either build a platform that rests on the wheel wells to allow for some shallow bottom storage, or build upright cabinets in front and behind the wells. I don't think I can incorporate a kitchen with this design, but might be able to create some sort of chuckwagon box.

This would allow me and my son to go camping with relative ease and at a moments notice. My wife has started a new job, and while she now only works 3 days a week, it is Friday-Sunday. Ugh. :(
Do you think this would be a good starting point?

Sure, if you got creative with the design. Before I started the franken-tear I'm building now, I considered this approach for a sort of cab-over. I just went away from it because I was focused on building a standy.
Here's my interim solution. I was only going for one bed, mind you: Image

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
ChefConroy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Custom Truck Camper

Postby greygoos » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Look here. http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=53933 Go down the page to Wolfgangs post. He built a "Foamie" truck camper way back when. It is simple and you might get some ideas.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Return to Non-traditional Designs