Cargo Door Roof Hinge - Hurricane Hinge?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Cargo Door Roof Hinge - Hurricane Hinge?

Postby ssuuki19 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:07 pm

How else can I do this roof hinge? Posting here because since on my build the roof-line transitions to the cargo door panel with a rather sharp angle, instead of relatively flat, close to 0 degrees with the teardrop. On this build that angle will be more like 30 degrees (where a conventional flat backed cargo hauler would have the standard 90 degrees).

So the question is whats a good waterproof hinge that can do angles?

The better-than-hurricane hinge idea looks awesome, but upon closer inspection it doesn't appear to be able to do a 30 degree angle. 10 degrees probably, as I think its designed to be installed relatively flat.

Any suggestions on how else to accomplish this? The door will be completely sealed separately from the hinge btw so the roof hinge doesn't have to be waterproof. Just seems like a better way to go. Also consider making the hinges with 1/4" flat-plate, rods, and 1" square tube aluminum. Also considering aluminum piano hinge.

Edit: edited for clarity, removed oversized picture with 179 views and added proper picture
tnttt_22.jpg
tnttt_22.jpg (80.06 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
Last edited by ssuuki19 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

How does sealant get on my triceps and then my car seat?? more than once??
Aluminum is almost as fascinating as wood.
Link to my build thread: 4 1/2 x 9
ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Re: Cargo Door Roof Hinge - Hurricane Hinge?

Postby ssuuki19 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Well too bad this post didn't gather any feedback - just updating that it looks like aluminum piano hinge riveted is the choice, to be ordered this week. This means the primary door seal has to have a drip well in it.. that works after lots of use. :thinking:

ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:50 pm

• I saw your post, but didn't respond because I didn't try a hurricane hinge, or an engineered-to-be-waterproof hinge, but used a cover over my wide open hatch hinge. My squareback TTT has three gate hinges holding the vertical hatch (a 48"x 49" piece of 3/4" plywood, and when opened, there is a substantial gap. So, I used some 12" wide semi-stiff conveyor belting I salvaged from work, and attached it over the gap, with bolts, aluminum bar stock, and sealed with Loctite Premium Poly adhesive. Later, I realized that the belting had thousands of pinholes, allowing water thru, so I sprayed it thoroughly with some grey Plasti-Dip, and it has been waterproof since then. I sealed the hatch door with D-shaped weatherstrip, glued and screwed around the perimeter, and added a bulb seal up top, as extra sealing for monsoon-type storms (which seem to occur on every trip I take).
  • 123161 conveyor belting (shields gap,breaks up laminar airflow to decrease suction effect behind trailer
  • 123162 tight seals using D-shape weatherstripping
  • By using a cover sealing piece, like my conveyor belting (used because I had it, and wide sun-resistant rubber was expensive), you could rest assured that between using a hurricane type hinge in conjunction with it, there would be little chance of a leak. I believe others have done just that, already; mine was an attempt to re-purpose an item on hand, and to seal the gap, and also act as a "spoiler" for aero benefits. I'm sure you could use better materials, for better results and appearance. But, my seals are effective, anyway.
Last edited by working on it on Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ssuuki19 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks for the pictures, and input, working on it.. sortof a three seal approach, but with the hinge beneath the first seal (conveyor belt) instead of on top of it and open to the elements. I might be able to do something like that, even with sheet aluminum to hold down whatever I can source for the 'conveyor belt'. Even if it only keeps the majority of water away from the hinge (in my case its one continuous) thats already better for the d-seal (as you refer to it), or door seal (as in the drawing pic) which in my case is rectangular by design for this very reason.. doors are tough. I was told back in the design phase to skip it, meh...
When I get to this part of the build in the next weeks, I will post a link back here to my build thread so that there is continuity to this discussion.

ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Return to Non-traditional Designs