All things dealing with a galley

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

All things dealing with a galley

Postby gene so » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:30 pm

I am building a non traditional trailer camper exactly as tall and wide as my 4x4' nine feet long with heavy duty suspension and full sized tires. /electric brakes etc.
I purchased a popup camper that had its roof torn off and am integrating most of the componentry from that unit into my smaller camper. Starting work on my galley area I have my electrical wiring now in one large cable, the 15 gallon water tank is in place, with refrig, sink and cook top to be placed after the countertop is positioned. I already have relieved the wall between the bed area/galley for the microwave to be placed.
Now, I am starting to plan the cabinets to be placed virtually anywhere there is free space. my table top will be fit to either side of the galley off a steel takedown post, so counterspace will not be as essential as you may consider.
Since I am building this alone and have virtually no experience with camping other than a tent, anything anyone would wish to inform me about designing and using a galley, especially gallley drawer sizes to store items would really be appreciated.
What is the best (current ) hinge out there, also a locking handle and also how to gauge gas struts for opening.

Thanks,

Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: All things dealing with a galley

Postby working on it » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:40 pm

gene so wrote:I am building a non traditional trailer camper exactly as tall and wide as my 4x4' nine feet long with heavy duty suspension and full sized tires. /electric brakes etc.
I purchased a popup camper that had its roof torn off and am integrating most of the componentry from that unit into my smaller camper. Starting work on my galley area I have my electrical wiring now in one large cable, the 15 gallon water tank is in place, with refrig, sink and cook top to be placed after the countertop is positioned. I already have relieved the wall between the bed area/galley for the microwave to be placed.
Now, I am starting to plan the cabinets to be placed virtually anywhere there is free space. my table top will be fit to either side of the galley off a steel takedown post, so counterspace will not be as essential as you may consider.
Since I am building this alone and have virtually no experience with camping other than a tent, anything anyone would wish to inform me about designing and using a galley, especially gallley drawer sizes to store items would really be appreciated.
What is the best (current ) hinge out there, also a locking handle and also how to gauge gas struts for opening.

Thanks,

Gene So
  • You say you're building a 4 x 4 x 9 non-traditional trailer with a galley? If I read you correctly...then, might I suggest a "squaredrop", "squareback", or other simple design using straight cuts? They can be easier to build (if you don't add too many features, or over-complicate-away the simplicity, as I did). Plus, if you're keeping the pop-up base trailer, with the bottom still intact, then you already have a starting structure to build upon.
  • My 4 x 4 x 8 squareback TTT (4 wide x 4 high x 8 long) has a lot crammed into it, that an extra foot of length would've really helped to accommodate: A/C with side exit exhaust (wholly enclosed in the galley), generator with extended-run fuel system (also in the galley), large cooler, Aquatainer cubby, Coleman equipment (lantern, stove, two gal. fuel, and extra components), and electrical controls & breakers, all in the vertical galley 20" deep, 46.5" wide, and 48" tall. So, by stuffing equipment into the "galley", it actually is a storage area and the actual galley is to the side of the trailer. If I had that extra foot in length?, then perhaps it would have space for actual galley stuff...or not. If you can keep it simple(r) than I did, then a 32" or so deep, vertical galley could hold much more useful gear than mine.
  • I had no room for drawers, but instead have two slide-outs for generator and fuel tank, but use sidewall mounted fanny packs for small item storage. Inside the cabin, I use a folding wire shelf with a cargo net attached, to store clothing and toiletries, and a rear shelf with a fold-up side, to hold my USB and electronics while re-charging. Because my galley isn't really a galley, I use a waterproof Tractor Supply container to holg all my cooking gear (except stove), canned goods (including Spam- I always mention Spam-), and the obligatory cast iron pans.
  • If you choose to build a square simple trailer, then the choice of hatch hinges is wide...just use what you prefer, since the hatch hangs straight down, and an external cover/rainshield is needed to cover the gap formed when the hatch is opened. I used very heavy-duty gate hinges (3), covered with a waterproofed conveyor belt (12" wide). For opening/closing handles, I used more gate hardware, and to latch/lock it closed, I used two ariculaed hasps with padlocks (I later added two 90-degree draw latches, for extra sealing power against the EPDM rubber hatch seals). If you choose to build this similarly, Mr. Phelps, then the gas spring lift mechanism has already been calculated for this type of vertical hatch. Been there, done that!
  • Good luck, if you accept this mission.....
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs