Rear door teardrop

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Rear door teardrop

Postby KennethW » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:40 am

I would rather go with a double door set up on side doors. Having a very light gull-wing type door outside your regular door. The gull-wing would not have to be water tight when down and would flip up quickly with a pole that flips down to support it. Zero setup time with no crawling on your Knees. A plus would be with a shower curtain you would have a (5 foot high) changing(shower-potty)room. I may just add the gull-wing to mine.
Last edited by KennethW on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:38 am

We've camped in inclement weather numerous times but I don't recall this ever being a problem. You panhandle guys see a lot more, I suppose.

I just put my boots in a garbage sack when it's nasty.

Teardrops get stuffy. Two doors with two screened in windows (and a top vent) work. So if you stick with this plan, make sure you have two screened windows. Side doors are easy to enter/exit in a tear. Sit down and swing in...not sure I'd like crawling into a den.

Don't get me wrong though, creativity is a good thing with customizing a 'drop.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Photophobic » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Gull wings to the side is an interesting idea, if only from the wall (leaving a solid roof) it would be easy enough to do, strip & towel off outside and put everything in a bag. This might also be an option to make a normal window an escape window rather than a primary door...

My experience is coming from Colorado more than the panhandle (only been here a year); sudden downpour from a blue sky. Taking boots off as you get in isn't a big deal but when you're soaked to the bone the blankets and memory sponge mattress are going to stay wet for a long time.

I do have plans for a fantastic fan on the high point and screened windows on each side (and a small foot vent to guarantee circulation) just don't have sizes and haven't learned CAD well enough to show them properly.
Paul

Photophobic photographer looking for adventure.
Build thread: Here
Photophobic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KennethW » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:53 pm

Photophobic wrote:Gull wings to the side is an interesting idea, if only from the wall (leaving a solid roof) it would be easy enough to do, strip & towel off outside and put everything in a bag. This might also be an option to make a normal window an escape window rather than a primary door....

I was thinking the gull wing would be more like a second side hinged on the top. That would be cover most of the side when down. When up it would cover a fairly large area. Maybe a 1" foam with PMF covering. :thinking:
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs