Bike hauler Teardrop?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Bike hauler Teardrop?

Postby greygoos » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:57 pm

How about one like this?
Attachments
mototear.jpg
mototear.jpg (25.92 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby M C Toyer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:11 pm

I'll have to add my photos to my gallery here since previously were on Photobucket and no longer viewable. but for a brief description now:

I have a 4 x 8 x 4 high Benroy profile with a square back and barn doors. My bike (Yamaha TW 200) fits easily inside and is held in place by a self locking chock (Harbor Freight) and a couple of ratchet straps.

There is room along the interior walls for a pair of storage lockers in the front and a swing out chuck box at the rear. With the bike unloaded the tops of the lockers support a sleeping platform though I generally use a hammock or a Kamp Kot.

With the bike loaded there is additional room for transporting other gear. A tongue rack carries gas, water and firewood.

It was constructed as a removable slide-in shell. Walls are 5/8" plywood covered with FRP. Roof spars are 3/4" EMT with FRP over 1/8" Masonite. I have two sliding windows from a Pick-Up cap.

I use a short aluminum ramp to load the bike. A pair of guide rails on the floor keep the bike straight and I can push/pull with the rear luggage rack (Cyclerack).

The base trailer is quite stout - factory made Performance with 3500# axle and 15 inch wheels, but the slide in shell fairly light so the whole package loaded with bike and gear in probably under 1500# or less.

I originally just hauled the bike on the open trailer then added 16" high siderails and tailgate. For a while I fabbed a teardrop profile clamshell cover made from EMT, first with canvas bikini top then later FRP. Was open on the sides.

I don't have a build thread here so after I post a couple o quick pcs will create a build thread and link here. For now there are several pics and some details in this thread starting with my post near the bottom of the first page and continuing on the 2nd and 3rd. Also good ideas from other bike riders.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topic/46626-4x8-tw-hauler-camping-trailer.html
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby Ride4321 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:24 pm

I haven't logged in here in awhile but my plans have changed. I decided to just buy an open motorcycle trailer and be done with it. Bought a Kendon 2 rail trailer. I picked up a big waterproof tool box to attach to the open side of the trailer which will hold all my riding gear and tools. The minivan will have to suffice for living space. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible for now.
Couldn't see your photos on the TW site without being a member but sounds like a cool build.
Ride4321
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs