Axle placement. Need Advice

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Axle placement. Need Advice

Postby Charles Ipes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Ok Folks, I am about to start on a tiny house toy hauler build and I need some advice from some of you trailer gurus.
My trailer is a single axle 10'. It will have a 3' overhang on the front for a loft. The loft will be about 3 1/2 ft tall. So it will be 10 ft. + 3' loft overhang.
I was wanting to put a 3 ft porch on the back also. The 3' overhanging loft will weigh less then the rear porch. I am loading a bike and the weight will be mostly towards the front during towing.
Do you think I will have to move the axle for the factory position?
Freedom!
Charles Ipes
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Axle placement. Need Advice

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Charles,

I'm afraid you haven't presented sufficient information to determine a solution. If you browse online, you will find various beam load calculators that will help you answer your question. Here is a simple one I just found:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/beam ... _1311.html

You will need to know the weights and positions of all major elements, including the structure, heavy appliances, storage areas, etc.

The solution may also depend on your tow vehicle. Having 16% tongue weight won't likely be a problem for your trailer frame, but it might be a problem for your tow vehicle and/or its hitch.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs