Has anyone built a trailer from a boat?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Boat/Trailer

Postby Wehunt_sam » Thu May 25, 2006 7:31 am

Hi, I'm new to this site too but was excited to read your post. I've been playing with the idea of a convertable boat/camper for years. I've done extensive research and found that it has been tried multiple times over the years. Some home grown and often by commercial outfits.

My idea would be to use pontoons instead of a boat with a hull. The last thing I want is a leaky hull and a pump running all night!

I have a lot of ideas and plans drawn up. I retire in 29 months and 6 days and hope to get started soon.

Let me know if your'e interested.

Sam
Wehunt_sam
Teardrop Inspector

Postby apratt » Thu May 25, 2006 8:50 am

What do you do when you have a leaky pontoon..s. Have 2 pumps runing? :lol: :lol:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Weird old boat/trailer combos (Trailer Life 1970)

Postby mirau » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:57 pm

On this topic...I found these zany boat/trailer combos in an old issue of Trailer Life magazine. No, I do not want my project to resemble either one of these! The Buccaneer strongly resembles the Tiny Tear design above. The Trail-It ad cracks me up given that you can get a boat trailer for free or cheap sometimes.

Here's my boat that's my starting point http://home.earthlink.net/~mirau_public/images/das_boat.JPG. I am still plotting whether to build from the gunwhales or from the trailer bunks.

Image[/url]
mirau
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jimqpublic » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:50 pm

Back to the original question- I've thought about taking a boat+trailer and turning it into a travel trailer. The idea hit me when a friend mentioned looking at a beautiful classic 25' cabin cruiser with a rotted hull and worn out engine, but beautiful mahogany interior.

I thought it would be fun to replace the hull below the deck line with a new, lighter, plumb side/flat bottom faux hull. Then you would have this beautiful boat with teak topsides and mahogany interior but more internal room and less weight than the boat. You could put in a door to ease access. Lounging in the cockpit with an adult beverage would be great.

Just another on my list of never projects.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs