Our first tiny trailer build.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Our first tiny trailer build.

Postby KingAirNeal » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:49 am

Got the window, need to open the corners up just a *tiny* bit, which is okay. Fenders will work for now.

But.

West Marine let me down. Again. Got all my paint and reducer, but the gallon epoxy primer kit will be another week. Well, so much for being done with the paint by the end of the month... .

Oh well, I guess Ill just do some other stuff to kill the time. It all needs to be done at some point anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby KingAirNeal » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:52 am

Got the paint and reducer from West Marine Wednesday, but the primer was backordered and will be a week late. Sigh... oh well, I guess Ill work on other stuff then.

So, got the stargazer window and fenders in Wednesday night as well, so Input the tires back on it and the plan is to get those fenders fitted today. Got the radiuses sanded out for the window to fit yesterday (mine were not the right radius, but too much material is better then not enough!)

Hopefully, the 1st of March after the POS VW goes back to the stealership, WestMarine will have my primer, so I can get get the primer sprayed before I go on my three day trip for work. Then, when I get home I can sand it out and shoot the color coats. Still hoping for completion round end of March.

I am not 100% happy with the fenders. I got them from vintage trailer parts, and they are really nice, but not quite what I am looking for for this trailer. So, the plan is, IF frank says I can open them up a bit (I need an inch more on each side, wider) They will work great for now, and I may fab up something a bit beefier down the road. Maybe this fall Ill weld up something heavier duty with jerry can racks on them or summin...

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:50 pm

KingAirNeal wrote:,,,I am not 100% happy with the fenders. I got them from vintage trailer parts, and they are really nice, but not quite what I am looking for for this trailer. So, the plan is, IF frank says I can open them up a bit (I need an inch more on each side, wider) They will work great for now, and I may fab up something a bit beefier down the road. Maybe this fall Ill weld up something heavier duty with jerry can racks on them or summin...
I'm not exactly sure of how much space you have between tire and trailer wall, or where the three hole ?brake mounting piece, or spindle housing? is in relation to the wall. If there is sufficient space, perhaps you might consider a free-floating fender, like on some hot-rods. The fender is attached to the brake backing plate (usually), and is firmly mounted with struts or a thick inner backing plate as part of the fender itself. I considered doing that type of fender, when I first measured for wheel spacer/adapters (I had a 2" thick s/a on hand, but found thinner ones later-negating my earlier plans, when the space became too small). I ended up just welding the fender assembly to the trailer frame; now I have a different axle, no spacer/adapters needed, that I could retrofit a floater on, but I'm satisfied with it as-is. I'm also not sure how a jeep-style fender would look, following the wheel travel, but rounded fenders always looked great moving around!
  1. fender to timbren mounting points.png
    fender to timbren mounting points.png (182.22 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
    possible to attach free-floating fenders ?? bolts with spacers or stand-offs ?
  2. fender with backing plate scheme.png
    fender with backing plate scheme.png (535.92 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
    scheme for fender mounting; comparison
  3. fender stiffener.png
    fender stiffener.png (83.47 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
    stiffener(s) added to assembly (no shaking)
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby KingAirNeal » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:17 pm

working on it wrote:
KingAirNeal wrote:,,,I am not 100% happy with the fenders. I got them from vintage trailer parts, and they are really nice, but not quite what I am looking for for this trailer. So, the plan is, IF frank says I can open them up a bit (I need an inch more on each side, wider) They will work great for now, and I may fab up something a bit beefier down the road. Maybe this fall Ill weld up something heavier duty with jerry can racks on them or summin...
I'm not exactly sure of how much space you have between tire and trailer wall, or where the three hole ?brake mounting piece, or spindle housing? is in relation to the wall. If there is sufficient space, perhaps you might consider a free-floating fender, like on some hot-rods. The fender is attached to the brake backing plate (usually), and is firmly mounted with struts or a thick inner backing plate as part of the fender itself. I considered doing that type of fender, when I first measured for wheel spacer/adapters (I had a 2" thick s/a on hand, but found thinner ones later-negating my earlier plans, when the space became too small). I ended up just welding the fender assembly to the trailer frame; now I have a different axle, no spacer/adapters needed, that I could retrofit a floater on, but I'm satisfied with it as-is. I'm also not sure how a jeep-style fender would look, following the wheel travel, but rounded fenders always looked great moving around!
  1. fender to timbren mounting points.png
    possible to attach free-floating fenders ?? bolts with spacers or stand-offs ?
  2. fender with backing plate scheme.png
    scheme for fender mounting; comparison
  3. fender stiffener.png
    stiffener(s) added to assembly (no shaking)

A very well thought out and excellent suggestion! And thanks so much for the excellent response. Thanks for taking the time to do so! It means a lot to me that you did that.

However, I will do something permanent down the road, once it gets inspected and registered, I will take my time building a nice tubing fender frame and steel skin.

I want to eventually add a jerry can mount on one side, and maybe a bbq mount on the other or summin.

Something similar to this.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby FLFLYIN » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:26 am

Have you gotten the Paint on yet? I look forward to seeing your finished trailer, and your help once I get mine started. I'll give you a call sometime next week. -Todd
FLFLYIN
Teardrop Builder

Postby KingAirNeal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:23 pm

FLFLYIN wrote:Have you gotten the Paint on yet? I look forward to seeing your finished trailer, and your help once I get mine started. I'll give you a call sometime next week. -Todd

Primer is supposed to arrive today. Fingers crossed.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby KingAirNeal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:56 pm

Annnnnnnnd no primer for ANOTHER week. Arrrrrggggghhhhhh.

F'ing West Marine...

Got the tile on the interior walls finished at least. It looks better in person. All this interior is heavy. But, we shed the extra weight of mounted air conditioning, microwave etc. So, I think it will still be in the acceptable range. IE under 1500 empty.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby KingAirNeal » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Since the primer wont arrive until next week, We plugged along on some interior stuff. Finished up the interior tile, and we purchased the fake wood flooring for the ceiling. We were going to go with a cork flooring, but saw a nice fake rough sawn knotty hickory that was a misorder at lowes and on sale. Way cheaper then the stuff we were going to get.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby KingAirNeal » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:21 pm

We've got doors!

Came in today from Challenger Doors in perfect condition. Packaged very well and fit just about perfect.

Half of the vinyl we decided on for the ceiling is on as well.

Hopefully the primer will be here tomorrow too.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby Alan_H » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Did you get your primer yet? I'm sure that's getting frustrating. :?
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby KingAirNeal » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:59 pm

Alan_H wrote:Did you get your primer yet? I'm sure that's getting frustrating. :?

Waiting to hear from West Marine. Their truck is running late apparently... ugh.

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby KingAirNeal » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:26 am

Alan_H wrote:Did you get your primer yet? I'm sure that's getting frustrating. :?

Todays excuse from West Marine... "West Marine screwed up the HazMat paperwork and that delayed the shipment a day. Hopefully the truck will be here tomorrow about 2pm."

Are you fecking kidding me?

Ugh...

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby KingAirNeal » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:10 am

Well got the primer today about 2pm...

Trying to spray it with my fancy HVLP turbine spray system was not such a hot idea. Got the top, rear and front sprayed. Decided to table it until I return from my four day trip and we will roll the rest of the primer.

After we sand it out, we will roll and tip the color coats. The paint was designed to be rolled and tipped anyway, so no biggie.

I was shooting for an automotive/factory built trailer like finish and not a home made trailer finish.

Sigh...

This is what happens when you overthink stuff...

KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:33 am

Looks pretty good from here. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ELM » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:32 am

The epoxy primer should spray fine with the spray gun you are using. It is a little different when spraying wood. When I'm going to spray wood with automotive paint I will seal it first and then start with automotive primer and paint. I would think if you sand it and if you need to give it another coat of primer you will be good to go. Hope this helps.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals