The Astroliner

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Astroliner

Postby ELM » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:25 pm

That's an awesome looking faucet on a Killer looking counter top. :thumbsup:
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks Elm!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:06 am

Nice (said with long drawn out iccccce). You absolutely nailed the little swoosh in the rocket trail with that faucet (or vice versa). :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:18 am

KCStudly wrote:Nice (said with long drawn out iccccce). You absolutely nailed the little swoosh in the rocket trail with that faucet (or vice versa).

Thank you KC! Actually, the rocket was drawn first awhile ago! Then as I was searching for a faucet I stumbled upon this one and had to have it! The match is perfect and it's those kinds of details that make me happy!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Well Guys and Gals... I've been losing sleep over a dilemma that I've been having regarding the Astroliner. Maybe ya'll can put your collective creative genius minds together and help me figure this one out. Here goes:

Originally I was going to paint the entire exterior of the coach. But after a lot of thought and some dry runs for research purposes, I completely decided against the paint on the roof for various reasons. First, the thing is big. It's 9' tall at the tallest point and slopes downward from the top to the tail quickly. It's 7' 1/2''wide. So, I think I could get the base laid down ok because you don't have to carry a wet edge for base coat. the problem is, because of the size i don't know how I can keep the clear wet, or be able to position myself to do it. We have discussed scaffolding, but the problem is if you had it on each side you still can't reach the center from either side. If you created a walk board on scaffolding, you would have to move it on almost every pass, so you have clear that's drying as you move the scaffolding and walk board. Also, there's the issue of creating dirt every time you have to move whatever apparatus you are using. So short of a crane and I harness to be suspended over the coach, I have no idea!

So to overcome these issues, we decided to investigate a vinyl wrap. It became more and more the way to go, not only because of the logistics of the paint situation, but because of my cancer diagnosis it has become apparent that I just can't physically do it... at least for a long time, if ever. Originally, I was quoted $500.00 roughly to do the job. That was almost 2 years ago now. I called my guy the other day to get an exact quote and it has gone up to $1400.00 now. I almost got sick to my stomach. Reason being, originally he had the vinyl in stock, left over from another job and was basically just charging me for the labor. So... I got on the phone and started calling other vinyl places. Turns out, his price is still lower than anyone else around. Which I'm not surprised since I've had an ongoing business relationship with the guy for over 25 years. Also, he texted me the other day to say he would do the install for free and only charge $900.00 for the material, which, by the way, is still cheaper than I can buy the 3M vinyl on Ebay. The install would be free because he just wants to help knowing I've been sick and just don't have camper funds anymore. Still, it's just not in the budget for us with medical bills in the hundreds of thousands now.

Therefore... I'm looking for ideas, suggestions, think-tank stuff here. I have no idea now how to paint, or cover the roof. Take a look at the pictures and see if you can come up with ideas. I'm stumped and it's very frustrating to say the least. And... I'm not going to do anything like my dad suggested, (jokingly) which was to roll some paint on and call it good. Maybe if it was just a roof, but on this one the face, roof and tail are all one thing, so something like that just won't work.

On another topic, the project goes on with the interior build. My awesome brother just keeps plugging away, giving up his Saturdays with his family or whatever else needs done because he has committed to helping me see this thing through in spite of my illness. He has also generously donated all of the birch so far for the interior walls and cabinets. Also, a local cabinet builder who has been my friend for 40 years or so is helping with the galley cabinet in order to pitch in on the project. So in the midst of a devastating disease, I have amazing people in my life who believe in my project and want to see me go camping someday. That's being blessed my friends. I'm truly blessed in the midst of the storm...

Sorry for the book I've written here... Just thought my creative tnttt friends might have some ideas. Thanks in advance for any input you might have!

:thumbsup:
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:34 am

Is there a simple method or product that you could use on the roof for those areas that can't be seen from normal viewing height that would be compatible with the system that you want to use for the visible areas? My thinking is don't worry so much about the appearance of the areas that can't be seen, just get them sealed, and that should leave the areas that can be seen from the ground as being easier to squirt.

How would you handle painting the large areas on the hydroplanes?

Still sending good thoughts your way, my friend. :worship:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:34 am

Mike- Dont know if this would help or is even feasible. I have a roll of black marine grade vinyl with backing that you are welcome to. It can be put on with adhesive, Woodbutcher used a similar type on his woody build. It is 60 inches wide by about 12 feet long. If you want it its yours for the asking, no charge. PM me with your address if its a go. Jim
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 am

KCStudly wrote:Is there a simple method or product that you could use...

The thing about the Astroliner is, there is only about 16" x 90"or so at the very top that you can't see. All the rest is very visible. The way I painted the Unlimited's is almost flat to the floor on dollies. I was able to reach everything from the ground, no problem. The height combined with the width of the coach makes for a troubling dilemma . I talked to a couple of other painters about it, to see if they were interested in the project since I can't physically do it right now. Both of them loved the project, but declined because of the logistics of the thing...

:thumbdown:

Thanks for the good vibes KC... Keep them coming Brotherman :thumbsup:
Last edited by Atomic77 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:22 am

greygoos wrote:Mike- Dont know if this would help or is even feasible...

Hey Jim thanks for the generous offer! Wish it would work but the area is 90" wide by 21' long. Thank you again for thinking of me! :thumbsup:
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ELM » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi Micheal Is your plan to paint it all one color. Maybe you could break the top into three parts by adding a stripe or something so you could spray the clear coat in three separate times. I know you will end up with an edge but if it's at a breaking point with a strip it wouldn't be as noticeable. I hope this helps or gives you another idea. Your brother sounds like an awesome guy. Hang in there and keep plugging along.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Thank you Elm... and you're right. My brother is awesome. He's determined to help me see this through. He understands what it means to me. Without him it would be at a complete indefinite stand still.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:44 am

ELM wrote:Hi Micheal Is your plan to paint it all one color. Maybe you could break the top into three parts by adding a stripe or something so you could spray the clear coat in three separate times. I know you will end up with an edge but if it's at a breaking point with a strip it wouldn't be as noticeable. I hope this helps or gives you another idea. Your brother sounds like an awesome guy. Hang in there and keep plugging along.

Hi Michael,

My thoughts were similar to ELM's. The only difference is that instead of using different colors, use the same color but spray the roof into two or three "strips" and use trim - maybe a stainless or aluminum rub rail - to conceal the edges of the strips.

Take care of yourself,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby pchast » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:35 pm

Michael,

:thinking: Just a wild idea ----

You have a large heavy unit. I understand the sheathing is already installed.
Is there a method that can be used to turn the trailer on its side in order
to paint it. Like a boat travel lift or similar available...
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:32 am

aggie79 wrote:Hi Michael, My thoughts were similar to ELM's...

I like your ideas guys... The thing about the trim is it would have to be glued or 3M VHB Taped because I don't want any screw holes in my roof. I've yet to drill a single hole. Definitely something to consider for sure! Thanks guys
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:40 am

pchast wrote:
Michael,
:thinking: Just a wild idea ---

I really like this idea! We used a special rotation bar on the Unlimited Hydro's connected to two motorized chain hoists on two gantries to raise and rotate the boats. Worked great. The exception here is that the boats were completely stripped and emptied of any components. Whereas the Astroliner is now loaded inside. I wish we would have thought of this when it was still just an empty, (and much lighter) shell!

I love the creativity of this forum. Keep the great ideas coming we're going to nail it eventually!

:thumbsup:
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals