Off-road Teardrop Design/Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Off-road Teardrop Design/Build

Postby lrrowe » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:29 pm

kokomoto wrote:
lrrowe wrote:What do you not like about your tongue box? Building one is on my list to do for my CT. I would like to consider moving my batteries from inside the trailer to the tongue. I must first find out what my tongue weight is to see if I can afford moving that much weight forward. I have two 6 volt golf cart batteries. But regardless, I want a storage box upfront.

Oh, by the way, your current box looks great.

BTW, I just made a reservation at a campground somewhere NE of Damascus, VA this Fall. I'll be doing a section hike on the AT.

Do you have bikes? If so, the 17 mi leg of the Virginia Creeper is a great downhill ride. It is an old RR bed. All right near Damascus. I rented a bike and rode it back in July. You will not be far from it. Also consider climbing the 8 mi trip up Mount Rogers. It is the highest point in VA and you might get to see the wild ponies. I tried that also last July, but lightening chased me (us) back down after only 1 mi. If I remember correctly the AT trail is close to all this. I walk sections of the AT trail from sections just southwest of Roanoke up to about 20-30 mi north. Most of them parallel the Blue Ridge Parkway.

What campground are you using? Grayson Highlands State Park? If so, I found it to be very nice.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby kokomoto » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:31 pm

lrrowe wrote:Do you have bikes? If so, the 17 mi leg of the Virginia Creeper is a great downhill ride. It is an old RR bed. All right near Damascus. I rented a bike and rode it back in July. You will not be far from it. Also consider climbing the 8 mi trip up Mount Rogers. It is the highest point in VA and you might get to see the wild ponies. I tried that also last July, but lightening chased me (us) back down after only 1 mi. If I remember correctly the AT trail is close to all this. I walk sections of the AT trail from sections just southwest of Roanoke up to about 20-30 mi north. Most of them parallel the Blue Ridge Parkway.

What campground are you using? Grayson Highlands State Park? If so, I found it to be very nice.

The plan is to section hike the AT near Damascus with a friend from Indiana and his grandson. We try to hike a different section each fall. We have reservations for a base camp at Riverside RV Park in Abingdon. We camped and hiked an AT section near Roanoke 3 yrs ago. Beautiful country, but had to drop out after the first day that year with an injury. I don't plan the hike, but I think Ty has Mt Rogers on the plan. I just show up with a backpack and trekking poles, and try to keep up. I hadn't heard about the ponies, but that would be cool. Thanks for the tips! :beer:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Dirtclod » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:10 am

Koko

I hate we missed yall Fri at Harrison Bay. We ran into major traffic and didn't get in until almost 730. Everyone I talked to was impressed with your build.

Hope to catch up and camp will yall one day.

Mike "Dirtclod"
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:57 pm

Dirtclod wrote:Koko

I hate we missed yall Fri at Harrison Bay. We ran into major traffic and didn't get in until almost 730. Everyone I talked to was impressed with your build.

Hope to catch up and camp will yall one day.

Mike "Dirtclod"

Same here. We were hoping to see your build too, but had to duck out early to pack for our trip to California. We had a great time with all the folks at HArrison Bay, and look forward to the next gathering.

Give us a call some time. :thumbsup:
Last edited by kokomoto on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:38 pm

I've been busy adding some gadgetry to the teardrop. I also squeezed some polyurethane sealant around all of the exterior trim with a small syringe. It has been exposed to a real rain yet until today right after I finished the sealant job. I hope it makes it a bit more waterproof before our first real camping trip to Mama Gerties Campground in Black Mtn, NC next weekend.

I added some magnetic door stops/holders from a local box store, and a cross level.

image.jpeg
Door stop 1
image.jpeg (108.64 KiB) Viewed 2712 times

image.jpeg
Door stop 2
image.jpeg (125.25 KiB) Viewed 2712 times

image.jpeg
Cross level
image.jpeg (156.97 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:42 pm

We wanted a shelf in the cabin to put our stuff on. It holds our shoes and stuff just fine. I added drawer slides to it so that it will slide back out of the way when we don't want it taking up cabin space.

image.jpeg
Shelf ou
image.jpeg (95.44 KiB) Viewed 2712 times

image.jpeg
Shelf in
image.jpeg (109.52 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:45 pm

I added a slide out for the cooler.

image.jpeg
Cooler slide in
image.jpeg (114.5 KiB) Viewed 2711 times

image.jpeg
Cooler slide out
image.jpeg (131.96 KiB) Viewed 2711 times

image.jpeg
Galley
image.jpeg (127.04 KiB) Viewed 2711 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:58 pm

We decided that an awning permanently attached to the TD that can be set up in minutes would be nice to get out of the sun and rain. We have an instant shelter tent, but having something that doesn't need to be packed and take up space in the TV sounds like a better idea for us. After looking at all the options, we decided to get the ARB awning with a room with a floor to add extra space when it's needed for changing clothes, camp toilet privacy, playing cards on a rainy day, or extra room for a guest cot. So we needed a secure way to mount the awning. We picked up a Thule roof rack system and some stainless mounting brackets from SoCal TDs. I installed the rack mounts, and still have to order the load bars before next weekend.

image.jpeg
Roof rack mounts
image.jpeg (151.82 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

image.jpeg
Roof rack mounts 2
image.jpeg (123.5 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:05 pm

Still working on the tongue box :NC

I added a power analyzer to monitor the Ahrs used and battery charge level, an SAE connector for the solar panel, and a stainless draw latch to the lid.

It's more near campable now... :thinking: just a few more gadgets...

image.jpeg
Power analyzer
image.jpeg (118.5 KiB) Viewed 2704 times

image.jpeg
Solar panel connector
image.jpeg (77.83 KiB) Viewed 2704 times

image.jpeg
Tongue box latch
image.jpeg (106.76 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby lfhoward » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:38 pm

I just caught up with your build after not checking it out for the last 6 months. Wow! You have constructed an amazing teardrop trailer! The build quality looks superb. The detail you put into the doors and door seals is particularly good. I also love that your TV is a Jeep Cherokee XJ. :thumbsup: It goes well with your off-road trailer.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kokomoto » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:13 pm

lfhoward wrote:I just caught up with your build after not checking it out for the last 6 months. Wow! You have constructed an amazing teardrop trailer! The build quality looks superb. The detail you put into the doors and door seals is particularly good. I also love that your TV is a Jeep Cherokee XJ. :thumbsup: It goes well with your off-road trailer.

6 months? Where have you been? I was still framing walls! :D

Thanks! I just went back and reviewed your build. Starting with a military trailer looks quite challenging, and you did a great job with it. :thumbsup:
I'm hoping my doors are truly weatherproof. They haven't been down the highway in a downpour yet. :frightened: I would buy doors if I had it all to do all over again.

I do like my XJ. It's my first Jeep. Shoulda bought one years ago. I haven't weighed the TD yet, but the XJ pulls it just fine. I am planning to replace the rear leaf springs with the HD ones and replace the shocks though, and maybe remove a leaf from the trailer springs. It gets 21 mpg unladen, and I guess 15-17 mpg towing. I'm very pleased with the brake controller. With it properly adjusted, it stops like it's not even there, even in the mountains. Enthusiastic stops were cliff hangers with the pop up we had last year without trailer brakes. Can't imagine towing without them now.

Camping review coming soon. Stay tuned....

:beer:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:13 pm

Where'd ya get that solar panel connector?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby kokomoto » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:31 pm

tony.latham wrote:Where'd ya get that solar panel connector?

Tony

Can't remember exactly where I ordered it. Try searching Zamp Solar Sidewall Port. I'm pretty sure it's just a standard SAE wall port connector though.

Four #8 screws, 2 crimp connectors, drill a 7/8" hole and 4 #8 holes, a dash of polyurethane sealant, and it works great. :beer:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:27 pm

kokomoto wrote:
lrrowe wrote:Do you have bikes? If so, the 17 mi leg of the Virginia Creeper is a great downhill ride. It is an old RR bed. All right near Damascus. I rented a bike and rode it back in July. You will not be far from it. Also consider climbing the 8 mi trip up Mount Rogers. It is the highest point in VA and you might get to see the wild ponies. I tried that also last July, but lightening chased me (us) back down after only 1 mi. If I remember correctly the AT trail is close to all this. I walk sections of the AT trail from sections just southwest of Roanoke up to about 20-30 mi north. Most of them parallel the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The plan is to section hike the AT near Damascus with a friend from Indiana and his grandson. We try to hike a different section each fall. We have reservations for a base camp at Riverside RV Park in Abingdon. We camped and hiked an AT section near Roanoke 3 yrs ago. Beautiful country, but had to drop out after the first day that year with an injury. I don't plan the hike, but I think Ty has Mt Rogers on the plan. I just show up with a backpack and trekking poles, and try to keep up. I hadn't heard about the ponies, but that would be cool. Thanks for the tips! :beer:

Were you able to make any of the hikes?
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:31 pm

kokomoto wrote:
tony.latham wrote:Where'd ya get that solar panel connector?

Tony

Can't remember exactly where I ordered it. Try searching Zamp Solar Sidewall Port. I'm pretty sure it's just a standard SAE wall port connector though.

Four #8 screws, 2 crimp connectors, drill a 7/8" hole and 4 #8 holes, a dash of polyurethane sealant, and it works great. :beer:

Thanks. I've got it filed away.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals