XBOW (Xtreme Bed On Wheels) Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: XBOW (Xtreme Bed On Wheels) Build

Postby Dirtclod » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:15 am

You know you are getting close when you start installing the trim. We chose a red vinyl insert for the black trim to match the red sides. Installed the lower sections last night. Breaks up all the black at the bottom and makes the trim look like a black pinstripe. Also have black caps to cover the ends of the trim that we didn't get installed last night

ImageUntitled by MIke Burkeen, on Flickr

Also got the hatch skinned and trimmed and ready to be put back on the tear for good. I painted the trim on the hatch red to match the sides too. I really like the way the Steve Fredericks hatches are built but not a big fan of seeing the hatch seam on the side. Hopefully this will "hide" the seam a bit. Stay tuned on that one. Hope to reinstall the hatch tonight

I gotta get this done by Sept 8 so we can take it to the TN tearjerkers rally near Chattanooga.

Making Progress

Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:13 am

That is going to be one great looking TD! :thumbsup: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wildfire » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:30 pm

The build looks great.

I may have missed it... But are you doing any sort of rear stabilizing jacks?
Wildfire
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dirtclod » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks KC. Means a lot coming from a ole Pro like you. 8)

Wildfire, I haven't added any stabilizers as some here say you really don't need them. I have some jack stands that I will take along just in case. Put them in the back and use the tongue as the third leg of the triangle. I looked at these and may buy one to try and it I like it on the tear I can use it on the big camper to stabilize the steps.

ImageStabilzers by MIke Burkeen, on Flickr

They seem sturdy enough for a teardrop. We will see.
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby Wildfire » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:55 pm

I've been looking at the same. There's enough leftover tube in the rack to fab up a set of those.

I don't have a galley, so the kids get in the tear and sit on the backside of the axle. Worried they'll dump it over....

If I get it find good weekend, I'll post some pics in the build journal.
Wildfire
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dirtclod » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:05 pm

Wildfire. I went ahead and ordered the stabilizers that I posted the picture of. They should be in tomorrow. I will give you my opinion after I try them out.

Over the long weekend I made some good progress, although the hatch no longer fit after I put the trim on. :cry: . I had to trim the galley rib a bit to make things fit again. I will have to now go back and re-epoxy that after this weekend.

I finished up the interior cabinets, galley cabinets and drawers.

Installed the newly skinned hatch then added the 3rd brake light, license plate light and license plate. I don't have time to do the math and figure out the gas charged rod locations before the weekend so I made some good ole 2X4 props for now.

THEN TOOK IT OUT FOR A QUICK SPIN AROUND THE BLOCK (It towed GREAT)

:applause: :D :beer: :applause: :D :beer:

I have a few loose ends to tie up but looks like the XBOW will be at the Tearjerker gathering this weekend after all !!

Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:08 am

Wonderful build! Enjoy your first outing. :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Dirtclod » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks Tom for the kind words and thanks for all the help to all of us "first timers" here.

Pulled the plastic coating off last night and cleaned the aluminum up some but still have some fingerprints that just don't want to come off. We tried Windex, Acetone, Stainless cleaner, Vinegar and water and nothing seems to take them off. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

Stay tuned, Next pics will be a teardrop in its natural environment. A campground by a lake :thumbsup:

Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:38 pm

That's a good lookin teardrop. :applause:

We hope to drop by Harrison Bay on Friday. Hope to see you there. :beer:

We took ours to Indiana for the first outing last weekend. Like you, I still have a few odds and ends to finish, but it is a camper now.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:57 am

Dirtclod wrote:If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

My suggestion is this...
Dirtclod wrote:Next pics will be a teardrop in its natural environment. A campground by a lake.

After that, you won't mind a few smudges. :D

You have done a really nice job! Now enjoy it. :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Dirtclod » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 am

Thanks for the suggestion KC. We plan on taking the XBOW all over the Smokies at the end of the month. We are going to the Overland Expo in Asheville NC, the last weekend of the month and then spend the next week camping in the XBOW all over NC / TN. I'm sure it will have a few scratches and smudges for sure by the end of the week. :lol:

kokomoto wrote: We hope to drop by Harrison Bay on Friday. Hope to see you there. :beer:

We are coming down after work today. Probably wont be there until 6 or 7. Hope to see you there as well. We are in site A8.
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby Wildfire » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:42 am

Looks great. Mine has smudges too. They bother me less and less with each passing day...

Let me know how those stabilizers work. Using a bucket and wood block at the moment - super classy!
Wildfire
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dirtclod » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:08 am

Well the maiden voyage was a total success. :thumbsup: We drove to Harrison Bay state park near Chattanooga TN for the TN Voluntears fall rally. There were 20 or so teardrops there and a REALLY good group of folks. They made us "newbies" feel right at home. Pout luck on Sat evening was AWESOME.

The trailer towed like a dream and everything worked when we got there. Used the AC for a few minutes each night to cool it down then just ran the fan overnight and slept like a baby. No chance of rain so we kept the awning off to the side for a nice shady place to relax.

Wildfire

The stabilizers worked GREAT. I put one across the back under the "bumper" and one towards the front on the diagonal part that makes up the "V" shape of the tongue. The thought there was the back one would stabilize side to side and the front one, would stabilize front to back. It worked great. I tend to toss and turn a lot in my sleep and the wife said she never felt me move around. I am going to try them this weekend on the big camper to see if they will stabilize it from bouncing when going down the steps.

Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby Dirtclod » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:09 pm

After the first trip the wife wanted a place to put the Luggable Loo and to be able to "stand" and change clothes. I had seen these "side tents" that WalMart had sold in the past that attach to a EZ Up tent and thought that this may be a good option for a side tent. I found a new one on Ebay for $40 so I decided to take a chance and buy it. Spent a little time last night in the driveway to see how it would work. Since my EZ Up is the kind that has the crossbars and the middle pole we had to put it towards the front and off to a side for the vent and hatch to open. It fit pretty well and will allow us to go out the drivers door right into the tent. Has a window and an awning for ventilation as well.

Its not staked or strapped down properly since we are on concrete, but here are a few pics

Taking the XBOW for a week long camp trip in the mountains of NC so we will have a good idea of how useful it really is after that.

Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby me&z » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:39 pm

And the red matches (at least in the picture)!
me&z
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals