Lifting roof XPStream - Almost Finished!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Foldable foamie hybrid trailer

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:23 am

Looks like Mahi Mahi! :thumbsup:
Last edited by KCStudly on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:14 pm

KCStudly wrote:Look like Mahi Mahi! :thumbsup:

- That is so funny and so true KC, you have an artistic eye! I got four brands of body filler on her - green, blue/gray and white, then a pinkish bondo and then a "see through" fiberglass covered pink foam. Anyway, It will be fun to see "the art" once it is done with sanding and before 2k primer. Despite of efforts it takes to make the surface straight there is this expectation of fun to see how this kind of body art finally comes out. Thanks for your kind words KC.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:11 pm

Another day fairing. Getting closer to primer.. Another picture with roof lifted...

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Last edited by OP827 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:58 am

Remember when your giving tours at camp sites or parking lots. Most of the time your going to be 10' or so away. Distance means less worry about being 100 percent flat. "You" can set and nit pick and see every little defect. The person your giving a tour to will never see the small things that annoy you. They will be looking at the overall finished product. Wishing it was theirs.

:thumbsup:
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:56 pm

Looking fantastic mate

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby OP827 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Philip wrote:Remember when your giving tours at camp sites or parking lots. Most of the time your going to be 10' or so away. Distance means less worry about being 100 percent flat. "You" can set and nit pick and see every little defect. The person your giving a tour to will never see the small things that annoy you. They will be looking at the overall finished product. Wishing it was theirs.

Thanks Philip, you do have a point there. I am now mostly done with fairing and sanding and it looks good enough to me being not professional. It's got too cold around here to prime and paint now, so I may have to wait until spring or find a painting booth to rent, we'll see.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:19 pm

dales133 wrote:Looking fantastic mate
Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks Dale, I am just trying to make the build look good. Now she is really smooth outside. Can put some pics if interested, but from a distance there is not much difference with bondo colours, just more of feathering transition patterns everywhere...
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:24 pm

If there's anything I'm good at... it's knowing art when I see it. What a beautiful sculpture you have created my friend. Since it's too cold to paint, you've got all winter to perfect it. It's true, no one will know the finer details better than you... but in the end, you are the only one that matters.
Keep it up. You're putting us all to shame ;)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Atomic77 wrote:If there's anything I'm good at... it's knowing art when I see it. What a beautiful sculpture you have created my friend. Since it's too cold to paint, you've got all winter to perfect it. It's true, no one will know the finer details better than you... but in the end, you are the only one that matters.
Keep it up. You're putting us all to shame ;)

Thanks Michael, that is so kind of you. I am just trying to make it look good to me and you, my friends. Now I'll have the winter to figure out windows, hardware, and other smaller things left to do.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby jimbo69ny » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:46 pm

Wow! What a build! What a long long thread! Honestly, I read till page 20 but then had to skip to the end. I love the build!

I am planning a foamy build too! I have a few questions that I am hoping can be answered.

1. How many layers of fiberglass is recommended over top of the rigid foam board? From what I have read, only 1 or 2 layers of 6 oz will do. Seems thin. I am wondering how foamies have held up over the years.

2. How thick of foam did you guys use?

3. Does it seem strong in the wind and weather?

4. How did the finish end up? is it smooth? I am wondering if I can wrap my trailer after its done.

5. Any horrible things happen that I should know about?
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:58 pm

jimbo69ny wrote:Wow! What a build! What a long long thread! Honestly, I read till page 20 but then had to skip to the end. I love the build!

I am planning a foamy build too! I have a few questions that I am hoping can be answered.

1. How many layers of fiberglass is recommended over top of the rigid foam board? From what I have read, only 1 or 2 layers of 6 oz will do. Seems thin. I am wondering how foamies have held up over the years.

2. How thick of foam did you guys use?

3. Does it seem strong in the wind and weather?

4. How did the finish end up? is it smooth? I am wondering if I can wrap my trailer after its done.

5. Any horrible things happen that I should know about?

1. I don't know if 1 layer will be enough in the long run, but I am willing to test. Check "Road Foamie" build by atahoekid who did one layer on this forum as well.

2. I used 1.5". Some foamies used 2". I think with proper structure and/or skins 1" can also be used for the walls. As for the roof the thickness will depend on its geometry and intended loads, like snow for example.

3. It seems strong enough.

4. Finish is very smooth after body filler, fairing and sanding. I think it is possible to fibreglass the trailer after it is assembled, but it would be a bit more effort against gravity. I decided to reduce that by doing separate panels in a flat position, but some parts were done vertical and went ok.

5. Nothing really, except I had a relatively small area with experience of using Great Stuff foam to rebuild a foam surface. Great Stuff decided to expand several weeks later after I already covered in glass, had to cut the glass out and redo the area, so will not repeat that again.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:13 pm

I forgot to mention one thing that I should have known about it: such build takes more time and effort than I thought, but it is still worth it.
OP827
Donating Member

Re: Foldable foamie hybrid trailer - XPStream

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:13 am

OP827 wrote:I forgot to mention one thing that I should have known about it: such build takes more time and effort than I thought, but it is still worth it.
It's time consuming if everything goes perfectly. It's VERY time consuming when you throw in the details of everyday life. There were many times I had to stop and remember why I was even doing it. Why I started in the first place. Taking a year off because of cancer really set the project back. But, we just spent a summer camping in our 95% completed creation and let me say... the journey has been worth it! There is nothing like spending a week, living in something you created with your own two hands! It's a feeling of pride and satisfaction that is difficult to come by in today's world. My advice, if you want it... Don't rush it. Do it your way. Do it right. Clearly your project was designed and built by a true artisan and craftsman. People like us are driven to the point of crazy by things not done right. You build it once. You use it over and over again. This experience will be worth it in the end; remember the End is really just the Beginning.

I'm cheering you on from the sideline Brotherman...

www.astroliner.blogspot.com Image

Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Foldable foamie hybrid trailer - XPStream

Postby OP827 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:53 am

Atomic77 wrote:
OP827 wrote:I forgot to mention one thing that I should have known about it: such build takes more time and effort than I thought, but it is still worth it.
It's time consuming if everything goes perfectly. It's VERY time consuming when you throw in the details of everyday life. There were many times I had to stop and remember why I was even doing it. Why I started in the first place. Taking a year off because of cancer really set the project back. But, we just spent a summer camping in our 95% completed creation and let me say... the journey has been worth it! There is nothing like spending a week, living in something you created with your own two hands! It's a feeling of pride and satisfaction that is difficult to come by in today's world. My advice, if you want it... Don't rush it. Do it your way. Do it right. Clearly your project was designed and built by a true artisan and craftsman. People like us are driven to the point of crazy by things not done right. You build it once. You use it over and over again. This experience will be worth it in the end; remember the End is really just the Beginning.

I'm cheering you on from the sideline Brotherman...

http://www.astroliner.blogspot.com Image

Very well said, my friend. And thank you for the advice, I am absolutely taking it.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:59 am

Like Atomic stated. The end is just the biggining
Philip
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals