aVANger Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: aVANger Build

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon May 06, 2024 1:55 pm

I really like those mounts. :thumbsup:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon May 06, 2024 3:08 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:I really like those mounts. :thumbsup:

They're brand new to the market and I jumped all over it when I saw they were coming out. I forgot to mention that they don't require any drilling. I hate drilling holes in vehicles.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Thu May 16, 2024 11:36 am

We just got back from a 2K mile trip to Texas and back and I checked the mileage at each fuel up. Did the fairing help any? Well, it depends. Mileage is going to suck if you're going 75mph with the wind blowing, no matter what the fairing is doing. But the fairing did NOT lower the mileage at any speed. If I had to guess I would say the fairing brought the mileage up by maybe 0.5 mpg.
The trip to Texas is the far right dip in the graph and the dip just before was our trip to Quartzite. The dips 3rd from the right was our trip to the Colorado western slope winerys. The lowest mileage (12mpg) was 75mph hellish journey into a very bad Florida headwind.

My verdict? I would still add the fairing if I had to do it all over again, given this hindsight.
Bruce
P.S. 65 mph seems to be the sweet spot for mileage, I got 17.2 on one tank at mostly this speed. Going 75 mph on average costs you an additional 2 mpg.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:45 pm

Great data! I appreciate your scientific method of mathematizing the data and then plotting that data on a graph. :thumbsup:

My mom had no concept of “scientific method”.

If you asked her how many miles per gallon she got with her car, she would say ”Pretty good … I drove three weeks on a tank of gas”.

One day she was proud of the fact that she got a good deal on meat she purchased at the grocery store. When I asked her “What was the price per pound?” She just looked at me with a puzzled look on her face. I followed up with “Well, how do you know you got a good deal?”. She replied ”I just look at the size of the package, feel the weight of the package in my hand, and look at the total cost”. Sheesh!

She was an excellent cook. But she never used a cook book or a timer. One day she was in the living room, while frying some chicken on the kitchen stove for an unspecified period of time. She hopped out of her seat and announced that the chicken was ready to be turned. I asked “How do you know that”? She replied, “I can tell by the smell”.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: aVANger Build Mileage

Postby bdosborn » Thu May 16, 2024 5:46 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:Great data! I appreciate your scientific method of mathematizing the data and then plotting that data on a graph. :thumbsup:

My mom had no concept of “scientific method”. <snip>

I do love me a simple graph. :D
I've found that people who don't have a concept of “scientific method” are usually more creative than I am. My wife's kind of like that so she's in charge of van colors and decorations. She has a much better feel for such stuff than I do...
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals