1948 project I bought for $300. What would you do with it?

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

1948 project I bought for $300. What would you do with it?

Postby scottharrison » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:40 pm

I bought this today for $300. I know it need a lot of work. Im going to start by pulling the weels off and putting new bearings on the axle. Would you keep the aluminum and polish it or buy new aluminum? Now I need to find out how to post pictures on here
scottharrison
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GuyllFyre » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Refurbish everything as much as possible.
Wood frame can be replaced but the character of the original skin will be worth much more from a personal standpoint.

Attempt to salvage as much as possible.

There's at least two other ongoing restore threads, so go read those to get ideas, these guys are doing amazing things.
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

blog pictures

Postby scottharrison » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

scottharrison
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GuyllFyre » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:20 pm

I'd say salvage everything and anything you can.
Definitely.

Looks like there's enough materials to work with to make something new out of it, also. The profile could use a little...finesse.
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:05 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: I would rebuild it as close to the original as I could and still have it fit my needs. Great buy! And do polish the Al. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby deepvee » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi Scott, Welcome to the Site. Just wanted say good luck with this one. I drove from Baton Rouge to Houston to buy that trailer. I love the shape and size of the trailer, but after looking at it I thought it would be to much work for me. I would replace all the aluminum because of all the little nail holes. May be too hard to seal. The frame and axle looked to be in good shape. Like GuyllFyre said, there are a few old rebuilds going on to get ideas from. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
Lester
deepvee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:34 pm

I'd say the first thing you will want to do is decide on what you want in the end, how much time/effort/ money you are willing to put into it and go from there. You're the only one that has to camp in it.

Remember....how carefully you take it apart will determine just how much of the original materials that you may be able to re-use in the end. Some time and careful straightening along with some polish and carefully placed screws can cover up a lot of problems in the skins and maintain the vintage flavor of it if that's what you want. I've seen bullet holes taken care of....just makes it more interesting.

Spend some 1 on 1 time with it and really check it out, that will give you a better idea of the direction that you want to take. Your schedule, abilities, tools, budget will be your guidelines.

Whether or not you want to do a total restore, a "patch" job, or an entire rebuild is kinda up to you. Based on how someone installed some of the cabinet hinges...I'd redo all the later modifications that were poorly thought out. It may be an indication as to the quality of the rest of their workmanship. Just my opinion...others may vary. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Build Journals