Zelix Kinda Offroad build thread ~Yes I'm finally building

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Zelix Kinda Offroad build thread ~Yes I'm finally building

Postby zelix » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:54 am

Ok I have finally got in my head what I want to build. I have an existing HF trailer that I will modify. I know most people would think that it's crazy to use this trailer and I should start from scratch. I know that others here have modified their trailers to great success. I think it will be enjoyable to so this. It's not for everyone...

I might be crazy. :?

I will make a trailer similar to this one:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=15620

I really like this trailer and think that it would suit my families needs. Steve had a really great thought out design. I will have some different items that I'll put into mine so hopefully it will prove to be functional when complete.
I don't plan to go "off road" with is so much....but I will drive it on some non pavement roads.

Here's the trailer as it sits today:

Wish me luck as I drive into this build. :thumbsup:
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby zelix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:46 am

Man I'm having difficulties getting this project going! I have to find a landfill that will take that raggedy ole beat down plastic building. My jeep is spewing coolant everywhere. I tell ya it's a bit frustrating.

:x :x :x :x :x

I've almost got my design finalized. I'm still debating where or not to make a built in ice chest. :thinking:
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby jeprovo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:05 am

Zelix, I hear ya, but don't get too frustrated... it will all work out.

Are you sure that you want to get rid of the plastic building? I see great potential for a modular trailer, or roof materials...
If I wanted to get rid of the building, I'd drag it into a pile, hose it off, and post some pictures of it on Craigslist in the free section. If that doesn't work, break out the saw and cut is into pieces that fit into trash bags, bag it up and throw it away... even if it's only one bag a week, it will slowly go away.
jeprovo
Donating Member

Postby GuyllFyre » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:01 am

I agree with jeprovo, craigslist free stuff. It gets rid of all sorts of things, I love it!
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby zelix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:04 pm

jeprovo wrote:Zelix, I hear ya, but don't get too frustrated... it will all work out.

Are you sure that you want to get rid of the plastic building? I see great potential for a modular trailer, or roof materials...
If I wanted to get rid of the building, I'd drag it into a pile, hose it off, and post some pictures of it on Craigslist in the free section. If that doesn't work, break out the saw and cut is into pieces that fit into trash bags, bag it up and throw it away... even if it's only one bag a week, it will slowly go away.

Thanks. That sounds like a great idea. :thumbsup:
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby zelix » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:06 am

slowcowboy wrote:allright zelix I will follow your build. go for it and just pitch that stuff on the trailer on the ground behind something out of the way. gotta a county land fill you can haul it of to or a trash dumping place. I would use the trailer before you but a teardrop body on it to haul that old junk on it off.

then heck just dive right in.

have a question just ask. I will be glad to let you pick my brain.

good luck and have fun.

its really not that hard to build a teardrop and not as complicated as it looks

and you really can do it with no carpetry skills or mecanic skills.

SLow.

I've called the landfill. They'll take the stuff. I'm going to put in on a more robust trailer and haul it off. I've got to repair my jeep as soon as the parts get in. I have it right in the way of where I'll be working on the trailer.

As far as building a tear goes I don't think I'll have any problems. I've built small boats and even an electric guitar. I'm comfortable with wood. I've also got a few years of lurking and seeing what others have encountered with their builds. Hopefully the mistakes will be minimum.

Its only recently that I've got into working with metal. I have a build on here of a trailer I made. It's all metal with a RTT. It's in the off road section I believe. It's great and I love it.....real beefy and strongly built. It will actually haul more than my jeep could pull. It's really held up to some serious abuse. I've gotten the confidence to tackle this tear from the success I've had with it.

The only problem with my exist. trailer is my wife and daughter aren't really big into the wild off road primitive camping like I am. I'm hoping to get them into camping with this tear and some modern conveniences. Another thing is that it's not lockable in a campground setting. I don't think that anyone would be steeling..but you never know.

anyhoo... I hope to get the trailer drug out from under that mess this weekend.
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby schaney » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:02 am

Zelix, are you going to use your rooftop tent project as a spare bedroom on the roof like Steve did?
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Return to Build Journals