The Honu

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Papi » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:10 pm

Here's where she stands, as of now:

Got the rusty hubs soaked in pine Sol, then in the molasses bath. Forgot to take "after" pics because I got a little excited LOL!

Got the 2X2 welded to the frame: Image

The hubs were a little sad. Bearings were toast; there were also some grease particles in all the sand.
Image Image

After welding and drilling, the axle carriage now sits an inch higher and the axle centerline is 7" further back. It no longer scrapes coming up the driveway.Image

And finally, Fred. Bought it for our youngest when he was a sophomore in high school, but he wanted my Nissan so a swap was made. And two grandkids later, I still have it! But with manual everything, it's not gonna be my tow vehicle.
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Scrapped

Postby Papi » Mon May 16, 2011 2:00 pm

I have scrapped my plans for the Honu. My wife was diagnosed with lupus, I have to have elbow surgery, and there are just too many things going on. If/when we get back into shape, I plan to build a foamie on the frame I already have. In the interim, Mom has graciously given us her RV (the one with slide outs, washer and dryer, sat tv, and all!) for the rest of the summer. We will make a few local trips (just got back from Mt. Cheaha, AL last night) but not planning on burning up any roads.

Cheers!
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Postby proformance » Mon May 16, 2011 3:05 pm

Wow, sorry to hear about the Lupus. Diagnosis and Treatment have come along ways over the years since the first girl I knew who had Lupus. Not sure what sort of resources you have local, but there is an excellent facility in Los Angeles that specializes in Lupus.

-And-

I just read where the FDA has approved a new treatment "Benlysta", for Lupus sufferers. This is great knew...........!!!

My wife and I will add her to our prayer list.

God Bless
proformance
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pete42 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:58 pm

I too wish you both well.
pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Papi » Wed May 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Thank you for the kind wishes. She is taking it with a dose of denial, but I know she won't let it get her down. This is the woman who jogged 2 - 3 miles a day until the 6th month of pregnancy! She's tough.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals