subaru teardrop build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby angib » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:55 pm

queeg9k wrote:I am worried that the trailer wheel placement may be a little to far back, putting too much weight on the tongue.

Yes, that's how it looks to me. I don't immediately see any way to change it - tinkering about with removing weight behind the firewall isn't going to make much difference - you really need to move the rear wheels and that becomes a real nightmare, plus it looks wrong.

I think you have to just suck it and see. Maybe rip out all you can and then do a test weigh to see how far out it is - no point waiting till it's finished to find you can't tow it.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby queeg9k » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:45 pm

I didn't mean wait till its finished to find the tongue weight, just a mockup. Strip it, get the frame built and then see how far out it is.
queeg9k
Teardrop Inspector

Postby greekspeedoman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:06 pm

Great idea. I'll be watching your project develop. I've owned 5 subarus and have one that I could turn into a trailer behind the new one! What fun this place is.
greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Postby M B Hamilton » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:04 am

I think it will look great if you can pull it off.

The cautions you've already received on tongue weight seem appropriate. I looked at your drawing and think you need a new location for your battery and that water tank (water is heavy, about 8 lbs./gal.). Behind the axle would somewhat reduce the potential for too much tongue weight. Your cooler and an a/c, if you're going to have one, should be behind the axle.

Glass isn't as heavy as it was 40 or 50 years ago, but there are lighter alternatives and you probably don't want that windshield there for privacy reasons anyways. There is a "Foamie" discussion section here. Perhaps you can fab the whole front enclosure out of foam and epoxy?

If you can make this workout for you it should look great and be very unique. I know everyone here would love to see the picture. "We love the pictures."
M B Hamilton
Teardrop Master

Postby queeg9k » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:30 am

Thanks every one for the input.

M B Hamilton- The plan is to get it mocked up, just with framing done, no cabinets, electronics, water tanks, bedding ect.. take gross weight and tongue weight and go from there, however there is not much room aft of the axle to work with.

Shoot, I have not even picked up the donor vehicle yet! Going to get it, not next weekend, but the one after that.
queeg9k
Teardrop Inspector

Postby queeg9k » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:48 am

Picked up the donor car!!! the front end was lighter than I expected, two people can pick it up no problem. Will get even lighter when I cut out the front horns and radiator suport.
queeg9k
Teardrop Inspector

Postby xddorox » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Keep it coming. I'm very intrigued about this project and I truly hope you pull it off. Mucho points on the cool factor. :thumbsup:
xddorox
Teardrop Advisor

build

Postby 3822sean » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:11 pm

this should be cool to watch keep the pics coming :thumbsup:
3822sean
Teardrop Master

Postby queeg9k » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:52 pm

It is in its new home!! Not for long I hope, next summer seems feasible.

Here is the tow vehicle at one of my favorite road houses

this is not a tiny travel trailer but it is awesome, it was at my uncles wedding

another shot of the wedding, I think I took more pics of cars than I did of my family
queeg9k
Teardrop Inspector

Postby campmaster-k » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:41 pm

I have seen that motor home before. I cant remember where. What museum is that?
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby queeg9k » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:55 pm

campmasterk wrote:I have seen that motor home before. I cant remember where. What museum is that?

The motor home is at the California Automobile Museum in Sacromento.
It is a 1971 STAR STREAK MOTORHOME, and I believe it was built of a Lincoln car frame. It is ugly as sin yet I still find it loveable somehow.
queeg9k
Teardrop Inspector

Postby queeg9k » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:51 pm

Did a little work today. Ripped out the fuel lines, brake lines, a bunch of heater ducting, and a bunch of stuff on the interior. I found out it has a full tank of gas, and a bunch of black widows living next to said tank. Gotta get out the raid before I go much further. Not much but its a start. Don't think that little of work warrants a pic. Gonna start cutting this weekend!!
queeg9k
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Build Journals