Ex-Patriot Build Thread

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Ex-Patriot Build Thread

Postby Dusty82 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Well, I’m not making sawdust yet, but I think that making sparks should count!

As I explained in my design thread, I’m deep into my Scottish heritage and my wife is a fiber artist (meaning that she spins, weaves, knits – everything but raise the sheep.) As a result, we do a lot of events like highland games, fairs, demonstrations, etc. We need a small cargo trailer to haul her spinning/weaving equipment as well as things like chairs, EZ-Ups, display stands, coolers, and various other things needed for spending a day or six at a fair or highland games.

Not being one to leave well enough alone, I also wanted the option of being able to use the trailer as a mobile galley for tent camping – kind of like a tailgate party platform. So I sketched a few designs, prodded DW on what she wanted, looked around online, and basically drove myself deeper into a state of confusion than I’d ever experienced. One day it suddenly struck me that I was looking for a cargo version of a TD.

So, with that in mind, I started playing around with a modified Grasshopper design, and the Cargo Hopper idea was born. The rear hatch will open up to give access to a standard galley countertop where we can use our two-burner to cook, just like a regular Grasshopper. I added a hatch to the front and divided the “cabinâ€
TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport

Currently stuck in a tent.
Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby High Desert » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Looks like a fun project with a good start. Look forward to watching it come together.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby LDK » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:12 pm

High Desert wrote:Looks like a fun project with a good start. Look forward to watching it come together.

I agree. :thumbsup:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:25 am

Looks like a great start. I'm using a pop up trailer frame too, so it will be interesting to see where you go with yours. It's going to be Memorial Day at the earliest before I can start to build, so in the meanwhile I'll be looking over your shoulder to watch your progress
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dusty82 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:47 am

Well, so much for having the frame finished by mid April. As other members in the area can attest, it's been a wild spring. It FINALLY got here yesterday! I've needed at least 7 days with no threat of rain because I'm doing this in my driveway and I didn't want rain to undo all of my blasting.

Yesterday I was finally able to get started sandblasting - I've only got a little el cheapo siphon feed sand blaster, so it's gonna take time. What a nasty job! When I came in at about 6 last evening, I looked like I had spent the day in the beach. Not on the beach - in the beach. This is the biggest thing I've ever blasted, and I sure wish I had better equipment. Oh well - live and learn. I have 2 more trailer projects in the wings, and you can bet I'll be getting a decent sand blasting rig and a much bigger compressor before I start either of them.

I'm gonna get back at it today, and I hope to get the frame finished. Depending on how it goes, I might be able to start on the axle and springs, but we'll have to see how it goes. The plan is to get everything ready to start shooting primer on Sunday.

Sorry there are no pictures, but there's not a lot to see. I'll shoot a few pictures when I have everything in primer and again when it's painted and reassembled.

Thanks for looking in on my progress!

Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby Dusty82 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Ok, I know, I may not be fast, but I am slow. Between the honey-do list, marrying off one of the kids (2 down, 2 to go!,) visiting kids and grandkids in another state, and only 1 fishing trip to Frenchman's Lake, time has been a valuable commodity. I still want to try to have this built and ready to go for the Reno Celtic Celebration in October. DW and her spinning/weaving guild set up and run demonstrations all weekend long, and it would sure be nice to have this trailer available to haul everything in 1 trip.

Finally got the frame (almost) finished. I need to get a couple of grommets and some smaller diameter split loom for the wiring, but for all intents and purposes, the frame is ready to build on.

Completely sand blasted and in primer:

Tongue in primer:

And in paint (FINALLY!)

And a shot of the tongue:

(You know, it sure seemed like a ton of work for just 5 pictures.)

Ain't those safety chains pretty? All nice and shiny? Actually, I really went overboard on the chain. My local hardware store had 5/16" chain and all the fittings I needed (hooks and quick links) on sale, for less than 1/4", so I jumped on it. Everything is rated for 5000lbs. I know it's a massive case of overkill (if we even think about approaching anything in this trailer that heavy, the safety chains are the least of our problems,) but it was cheaper than 1/4".

Aside from needing the things I mentioned above, it's ready to build on. The wiring harness is installed, safety chains on, and the paint has cured enough for dust to get trapped in the stabilizer jack mounting plates. The stabilizer jacks are being sand blasted and painted as we speak, and will be installed later. It still has the same ratty looking wheels, but they'll be taken care of at a later date. I repacked the wheel bearings last summer, so I know they're still good.

So, it's on to poplar and plywood for the floor this weekend, then sawdust can officially begin to fly!

Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Good progress, keep the pics coming. :thumbsup:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby jss06 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:02 am

Nice looking frame. You do good work.

Definately what to see how this turns out. I like the design.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:25 am

Hey Dusty, great to see you get started with your chassis!!! Looking very good indeed sir! Please keep those pictures coming!

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dusty82 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks guys. If I could just stay on the trailer build with no other distractions (yeah, like that's gonna happen) I'd be fine. Problem is too many other things keep popping up. I just got the chisels so I can get my mortising attachment set up on my drill press (now I can drill square holes - woohoo!) so several projects that needed that kind of joinery have jumped to the head of the priority list. Oh well - such is (married) life... I'm sure you can relate...

The next step remains getting the poplar and plywood, then it's on to building the floor!

Dusty82
The 300 Club

Return to Build Journals