2bit Thomas' 2nd camper: The Camper Special

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby 2bits » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:07 pm

Thank you guys, I have really good luck with stuff sometimes, and this definitely falls into that category!

From what I can tell the truck drives very well with it, but I was more just nervous driving because I just had load straps and clamps holding it down, but when I got off the freeway and onto the back roads, I got a little more confident and pulled off the straps and just drove with the clamps, but very carefully. I will need to get confident with it before I can really tell how it steers and stuff, but overall I felt comfortable with it when I wasn't being a nervous nellie.

My Speedometer is broken right now, so I didn't check the mileage but it took almost a quarter tank to get there and almost a quarter tank to get back and it was an hour drive so that says it is not much of a hit at all!

I am definitely going to finish out the interior on the bottom, I really like the ability to make it removable, but at the same time, I have plans to make a hoist fro the whole thing so finishing it out on the bottom as one unit is appealing to me too. We'll see how it goes.

Yeah Tom, It really seems like the stars are lining up to sell the teardrop. I have reconciled within myself that it is for land that I will be able to camp on every day for the rest of my life, and not to pay some bill or something. I do not want to, but having a new project and a larger goal in mind helps alot. I sold my fully restored 74 Monte Carlo to simply pay the mortgage on the house, which was dumb considering I am selling the house now. This situation is a plan toward the future, rather than prolonging a bad situation. So all in all, I am ok with it now.

I might fire up that Coleman stove in a day or two, I am sure it will work just fine. Can't wait to start doing some work on it, but that will be a while... for now, it's back to my new 74 Monte Carlo!!! Things are coming full circle...
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:38 pm

I pulled all the personal stuff out of the teardrop and transferred it all over to the new camper today. I like how I can still store stuff under the bed. I liked the idea of storing firewood under there out of sight, but then I started thinking about all the bugs and mites and things that come with it, so I think I will reserve the front corner near the door for the firewood and unload it as soon as I pull in so I can sweep it out. I will use the under bed area for tables, chairs, the easy up and other big stuff.

With the "Galley" cabinets below and the three cabinets above, it has lots of storage space and the tall open section near the door has a hook for hanging up shirts. All other clothes, towels and non-kitchen stuff will easily fit into the upper cabinets.

The interlocking floor mat stuff I got at the Dec Teardrop Christmas gathering makes a perfect floor, and I am going to male a more permanent looking separator to the underbed area, but for now the sheet hanging down will do. Time to start making curtains again!

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby aggie79 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:44 pm

Thomas -

Looks like you're all packed for Loyd Park. There's a bunch of room in that camper!

You may want to throw in the A/C unit though. I don't think this hundred degree heat is going to break any time soon.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:07 pm

Yeah, that's a fact Tom! I am ready to go, but not looking forward to the heat!

My friend Kelly said he would give me his window unit from his new trailer as he is going to get a bigger one. I just don't know where to put it in this thing. It seems that my only option is to make a second door with a hole for the AC because I do not want to mess this all original camper up by cutting it up.

Maybe I could build a vent system to just pump cool air up to a window from the outside?
:thinking:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals