Project leaving well enough alone is never an option

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby vanwyk4257 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:37 pm

aggie79 wrote:Michael,

Great job with the dinette area! I like the table notch to get to the bench. It would even fit my substantial midriff!

Take care,
Tom

Thanks Tom. I used my own mid-section to determine if it was sufficient so the cutout is no coincidence. I can't lay claim to the design however, I grabbed a ratty old popup camper table that was a freebee to take some hardware from and ended up using that as a template and then just cut the table out carefully with a jigsaw. Now I just need to do some sanding to prep it for varnish.
The rails and support legs from that and my other popup dinette table will be re-purposed to use on the exterior for a 2x4ft table to place my propane stove, grill, et al on while camping. My neighbor is going to set me up with a nice 2x4 work surface from the Herman Miller office furniture dealership he works at. 8)
Sometimes being a big guy has it's perks however. My street side rear bumperette was bent upward from some minor bump it took at some point in the past. My 6x3" 225lb frame bouncing on it was enough to bend it down. In fact, I actually need to use my floorjack to bend it level to match the curb side bumperette. :lol:
Michael
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Took a day off work today and got a bit more work done. Worked on some more wiring for the trailer lights, installed the last piece of roof edge molding and started installing carpeting on the walls and ceiling inside the trailer. I still need to figure out how I'm going to trim around the windows for a finished look and I need to trim the edges off the ceiling which is tucked behind the walls right now. I think it will look pretty nice when finished. There are some staples that I put in to make sure the adhesive set well and gravity didn't pull it loose, those will be removed later. I also installed the laminate on the facing for the countertop, but didn't think to snap pics.
Michael
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Got most of the carpet done today, just a couple spots to finish up this coming week. Still need to get the laminate on the top of the counters and finish the cabinet doors. I've decided to just use the same carpet on the cabinet doors instead of varnishing them since it's just 1/2" oak plywood. It will also be lower maintenance and won't mar if I bump them.

I'm going to use the cushions from the popup for now but I'll probably buy new foam and make new ones later.
Bed is really nice and fits my 6'3" frame perfectly!
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GuyllFyre » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:22 am

Oh look!
You have your own padded room. :hammerhead:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The carpet looks good, just keep it clean and dry...every time I see a camper with carpet in it, it brings back sense memory from the project I gave up on. It was a fully carpeted slide-in for small pickup trucks..in green and blue shag carpet and the smell was pretty bad.
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby vanwyk4257 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:56 am

GuyllFyre wrote:Oh look!
You have your own padded room. :hammerhead:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The carpet looks good, just keep it clean and dry...every time I see a camper with carpet in it, it brings back sense memory from the project I gave up on. It was a fully carpeted slide-in for small pickup trucks..in green and blue shag carpet and the smell was pretty bad.

That's funny! It won't be a problem keeping it clean and dry. We had some signficant and heavy rain over the last 48 hours and the inside of the trailer is dry as a bone, so all the time I took waterproofing the exterior is paying off. :beautiful:
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodstramp » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:29 pm

It's a 1972 Chevy 3/4ton pickup,

Michael,

I bought a 67 Chevy 3/4 ton for a workhorse when I built my house. It had stock 327 with a manual 3 speed. The thing was a mule. My dad used it to pull a small track loader....that tough. I can imagine that suped up 72 would have no trouble hauling your fine looking camper. [/quote]
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby vanwyk4257 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:54 pm

Yeah I don't know what gears are in the rear diff, but between the leaf springs that look like they came from a dump truck and the 366 big block from a commercial box truck that 72 C20 should tow anything you could hitch up to it. I'd prefer four wheel drive, but I can live without it for now.
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:06 pm

Almost finished as of this weekend. Did a lot of work underneath sealing and caulking some stuff. I got the cabinet doors and hardware installed and installed the rail for the old dinette table to use on the exterior while camping.
And the obligatory celebratory beverage...
I did weigh the tongue yesterday before the propane tanks were installed and it came out to 137lbs. I think once I get it packed I should be able to nail 10% tongue weight.
I also installed the RV/Marine battery today. I'll finish tidying up the wiring later.
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Still a couple minor details to take care of but it's campable and pretty much finished. I got the countertops and dinette table installed and cleaned the camper out today.
Took it to the truck scale and it weighs 1440 with the battery and propane tanks, pretty much what I figured on. The tongue weight with the propane tanks in place is 180lbs. I'll weigh it again after I pack it and either redistribute some stuff or remove the propane tanks to get the tongue weight where I want it.
I made the dinette table a little higher than normal to have more room getting in and out and frankly I'm taller and it's more comfortable for me. I figure it's easy to lower it if I ever want to.
Lots of gear packed with lots of room left for all my hunting stuff and food.
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Build Journals