Compact family camper Build - Always something...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Compact family camper Build - TV dead...

Postby Gunguy05 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:15 am

Hey, haven't heard from you in a while. How are things going with the build?

Did you get the TV replaced? Hope things worked out with that.
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Re: Compact family camper Build - Update

Postby ryuandwings » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Thank you for reviving my thread. :D I'm still here and working on the trailer. :)
Everytime I want to work on the trailer, the things called work and life get in the way. :R

We did get the TV replaced.
We ended up with 2010 Mazda CX-7. It is about same as the Subaru Outback I had as far as the main specs. So it is toward the low end of the scale as far as the capacity to be a TV. It should be fine for my trailer, though.

Here are comparison shots of new and old.
Old

New

New TV is a little taller so that it matches the height of trailer better. :)
I don't have the hitch and wiring installed yet, that should happen int the near future.

Things I worked on since the last post are:
1) Relocated axle. Moved it forward about 8.5".
2) Completed tongue box hatch.
3) Window installed with interior window trims.
4) Interior varnish applied. Galley varnish started.
5) Reading lights and dome lights installed.
6) Trailer inspected by TN Highway Dpt. and passed! :thumbsup:

There are some other small items but I am trying now to get it ready to apply epoxy on the walls and roof. That should happen soon.
I will post more details of what I have done so far later today.

Thank you again for still following. :thumbsup:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Re: Compact family camper Build - More updates

Postby ryuandwings » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:43 pm

I haven't been making any updates here lately but I was working on the trailer despite of the life setbacks. :D

The biggest accomplishment was the relocation of the trailer axle.
When I weighted the trailer earlier, whole trailer was 980 lbs and the tongue weight was 180 lbs at about 18%. This would have worked without the modification, but I would have had no room for any additional weight. I knew it would be a big challenge, but I wanted to do this right.
So, the first thing was to remove the camper from the trailer. This is easier said than done. I had to slowly jack the camper off the trailer then support it on the 2x4. I had to lift a little at the front, then move to the rear, and so on until whole thing was supported off the trailer.
Next is to remove old leaf spring brackets and weld new ones. Since old real bracket did not interfere with new, I just left them there. That shows how much the axle was moved.
Then I also had to relocate the wheel cutout in the wall.
The TV dyed soon after this work, so I have not been able to weight modified trailer. I don't know how much actual improvement I made with this modification, but based on the calculations, tongue weight should be around 150 lbs at 10%.We will see about this soon.

The next was the tongue hatch.
I still have the screws holding plywood. Those will come off when I apply the epoxy.

The next was the window install.
When I bought the windows, those did not come with the interior trims. I knew I had to make them, but I was able to get them at the good discount. :thumbsup:
I choose the crank out window so I can leave the window cracked open during wet weather.
The typical aluminum window trims are there to hold the window and to cover the rough opening. I decided to make some aluminum holding pieces to mount the windows and wood trim to hide the rough opening.
When I first started to make the wood trim, I use the 1/2" material not knowing that was not thick enough. I did not realize this until I started to rout the rabbit to inset the window. :x
I had remake both trim with 3/4" material. :cry: Good thing about the mistakes are it makes second time around whole lot easier and quicker... :lol:
This was taken before I sanded the corners. I will use the plugs to hide the screw holes. It is a bit tight around the door handle, but not bad.

The next is the varnish. I really don't have a good photo to show, but I applied 3 coats and there are some spots that need additional touch up still.

Then installed interior lights and some wiring for the PD4045.

And another big accomplishment was getting the trailer certified.
Here in Tennessee, to get a license plate, trailer needs a VIN number. To get a VIN number for the homemade trailer, it needs to be inspected by the highway trooper. The process is to send in the application with $25, then wait. About when you almost forgot that you sent an application, they call you to setup an appointment. I thought I would had to take the trailer to the interstate truck weight station or somewhere, but he came to my house. Also he came on his night shift so I did not have to leave the work. :thumbsup:
Here is the trooper parked on my driveway. My neighbors probably thought I was in trouble... :lol:
I borrowed company truck for the night, because I don't have the trailer wiring ready in my TV. But everything went without any problem. The officer hesitated a little because it was not finished, but the trailer was fine and all trailer lights worked so he certified it.
He stamped the VIN number on the frame.

There are many more small things that are not worthy of mentioning or photos.
i will try to post more updates when I get to next milestone.

Thank you for looking. :beer:
Last edited by ryuandwings on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Re: Compact family camper Build - More update

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:17 am

Congratulations on getting one step closer to road worthy. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Compact family camper Build - More update

Postby ryuandwings » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:32 am

S. Heisley wrote:Congratulations on getting one step closer to road worthy. :thumbsup:

Thank you, Sharon! :)
It is getting closer a little by little... :twisted:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Re: Compact family camper Build - Bunk Bed

Postby ryuandwings » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:41 pm

It is amazing how fast unattended thread fall off the front page. Everyone must be busy with their trailers. :D
To keep up with everyone's progress, I have some updates worth telling you about.

First I may need to defend my self for calling my trailer "compact". It is definitely not a compact size or design compared to other small trailers here no this forum. I am calling this "compact" trailer because this is designed for 2 adults and 2 small kids. I say my trailer is toward the smaller end of the scale considering it would sleep 4 people. I think it will sleep 4 until my oldest son is under 55" tall. I guess at the point, I will move out into the tent... :?

To get enough sleeping spaces for 4 people, I needed to have a bunk bed for my son. The challenge was to design a bunk bed that could be stored away when it is not in use. My solution was to have a slide-out/ flip-out bed that will fit under the cabinets in the cabin.

Here are some photos of build process.

The slide is Accuride 3640 which is for file cabinet and rated for 200 lbs.
This is in.
And out.
The section on the bed mounted on the slide is 13.5" deep and there will another 14" flip-out to make about 28" from the cabinet face. That may be deep enough for two kids when they are small.

Here is the bed stored.
This is how it would be used. The strap is still temporary, but should show the size and the way it is used.

It was tested by my son and he enjoyed being up there by himself. :thumbsup:

Another item checked off my list is the board/ table for my under floor storage. (The table part is not quite done, yet.)

I am almost ready to order my aluminum skin. :thumbsup: May be done by the Thanksgiving weekend? :twisted:

Thanks you for looking. :applause:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby Rudyjr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:02 pm

Nice workmanship on everything so far. Sorry to hear of the misfortune with your tow vehicle. That is a really slick idea for the bed. Look forward to more updates!
Rudyjr
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:53 pm

:applause: Beautifully done! :applause:
In spite of your troubles you have made progress and you're getting closer to the finish line!

Just something to toss around in your head, should you find you need it. Your doors look plenty big enough; but, if you wanted to, you could probably take off a little bit of the two corners of that extended sliding bed piece and replace them with a diagonal piece, to keep anybody from a bruised side if they get up to go outside in the dark night. Nobody sleeps in the corners, anyway. I did that on my bench/beds and was really glad I did.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bespurcell » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:03 pm

I just read your entire thread. :D Very nice build. I love all the pics and your attention to detail. :thumbsup:
bespurcell
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ryuandwings » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:57 pm

Rudyjr wrote:Nice workmanship on everything so far. Sorry to hear of the misfortune with your tow vehicle. That is a really slick idea for the bed. Look forward to more updates!

Thank you for the compliment. :)
The bed turned out a lot better than I expected. It is nice to see the plan actually work! :lol:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby ryuandwings » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:06 pm

S. Heisley wrote::applause: Beautifully done! :applause:
In spite of your troubles you have made progress and you're getting closer to the finish line!

Just something to toss around in your head, should you find you need it. Your doors look plenty big enough; but, if you wanted to, you could probably take off a little bit of the two corners of that extended sliding bed piece and replace them with a diagonal piece, to keep anybody from a bruised side if they get up to go outside in the dark night. Nobody sleeps in the corners, anyway. I did that on my bench/beds and was really glad I did.

Thank you very much for the kind words and especially for the heads up (literally) for the corner of the bed.
I was worried about the corner and also how that end interfere with the door knob. You gave me a great solution, I went head modify it tonight.

This will be so much safer entry with the bed extended. :thumbsup:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby ryuandwings » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:14 pm

bespurcell wrote:I just read your entire thread. :D Very nice build. I love all the pics and your attention to detail. :thumbsup:

Thank you. :thumbsup:
Taking a lot of photos for the record was something I learned in here. However I came across so many occasions I did not have the right view. :(

My approach to this build is to do this right the first time, and maybe I won't have to pend a lot of time fixing some thing that could have been avoided. Once I start using the trailer, I want to be camping and not stuck in garage repairing. :thumbsup: off course I also know I will never be done with the trailer, too. :lol:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:48 pm

Thank you very much for the kind words and especially for the heads up (literally) for the corner of the bed.
I was worried about the corner and also how that end interfere with the door knob. You gave me a great solution, I went head modify it tonight.

I am happy that I could help even if only in a small way. :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby ryuandwings » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:09 am

S. Heisley wrote:I am happy that I could help even if only in a small way. :D

Small? I think it is a big deal. I always value suggestions based on the actual experiences. :applause:
Those are really hard to plan for.

Thank you, again. :)
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Re: Compact family camper Build - Epoxy

Postby ryuandwings » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:40 pm

OK guys, it time to bring my build back to the first page. :lol:

I been busy covering the exposed wood on my trailer with epoxy. Since I will be covering the whole thing with aluminum, I have not been really neat with epoxy/ fiberglass job. When I started to think about this build, I debated between aluminum and woody before I settled with aluminum. After working with fiberglass and epoxy some, I am glad I decided to go with aluminum. I don't think I would be able to get the fiberglass/ epoxy to look clean. :R
Here is overall shot after first coat.
Galley hatch. I still need fiberglass edges and second coat.
Doors and tongue hatch. Same here.
Roof.

While all these epoxy is being dried, I been working on small details.
This is at the top of galley wall where it meets the end of roof. This aluminum angle will be behind hurricane hinge and aluminum edging on the galley wall.
This is at the sill of galley hatch. Again, adding aluminum angle to fill the gap.
Here is shots of aluminum edging on top of galley wall and at the sill.
I think I will have to add about 1/8" of aluminum bar on top of edging to build it up higher to seal the gap between wall and the hatch.
I know it is still a small parts, but it is nice to see some finishing aluminum going up. :)

Here are other miscellaneous things I have done. :thumbsup:

And the biggest news of all. I got my aluminum sheets!! :applause:
I ordered mine from saf.com. The ship any order over 100 lb for free, which is big! They will ship from GA or CA.
I ordered 4 sheets, 5x12, 5x10, and 2 sheets of 4x10. They package them really good. This is how I received.
I originally thought about them shipped to my house, but at the last moment I decided to ship to my office. I had them unloaded with forklift. It was almost impossible to unload by had, unless you have a lot of help.

As far as how I finishing the exterior, I will be using anodized aluminum and diamond plate aluminum.
The area in red will be anodized aluminum and area in cyan is diamond plate. :D

By the time I do another update, you should be seeing more aluminum going up! :thumbsup:

Thank you for looking. :beer:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals