Extreme Makeover: Jewel Box edition

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Justin & Katy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:23 am

The tear is looking good. I really like the track lighting. I would have never thought to use it in a tear drop. I can't wait to see it finished!
Justin & Katy
Teardrop Master

Postby planovet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:30 am

Guns and camping...don't ya just love it! :thumbsup: :lol:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:14 pm

Have to say that is looking sweet as candy :thumbsup: :applause: :applause: I like this better than your previous jewel box even though it was very nice also. :applause: :applause:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby oklahomajewel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:40 am

Justin & Katy wrote:The tear is looking good. I really like the track lighting. I would have never thought to use it in a tear drop. I can't wait to see it finished!

I had only sorta thought of it once, but wasn't sure. Then saw how Mechmgcn used a track light in his, and since going all electric , ... tadaa!!!

the Jewel
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:54 pm

Oh lord ... what a day .. Kenny , my sweetie and my builder, ... he really outdid himself this weekend.

After a few *#$&@ with the placement of the gas struts. ... they are in! and work great . Then found we had something causing the hatch to not close quite all the way ... Huh??? he figured it out, had to move the speakers just a tad , and do some other trimming .

Okay ... NOW they're done ... Love em !!!
I think the color of the wood didn't come across quite right in the pic.

Then the aluminum side ... side one. Had it figured out, and his 22 yr old son was there to help .. good!
Got it placed... no kinks, didn't drop it ... but then .. what? the adhesives were'nt sticking.... ended up putting temp screws at top to hold it in place. whew !!! Then he thought routing it to shape would work easier than it did ... I think I'll have to get him a new router for his birthday! haha
But it 's ON ! GOOD ! Thank God !!!!!!! .. didn't get the door cut out but that will happen later this week.

the Jewel
Last edited by oklahomajewel on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 2bits » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:22 am

That is looking GREAT! Smart move going all electric, if you never camp without power then why do you need 12v. I currently have alot of really cool looking 12v lights that are not hooked up :)

You have the same light in your teardrop hatch that I have in my new house!!!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:02 am

Yeah, Thomas.... I figured out I always paid for electric sites the past 5 yrs and really didn't use any. The one time I was in my old td and couldn't get an electric spot was the one time my battery wasn't charged.
Did it 'old school' had lantern's and was cooking on propane/charcoal anyway ... it wasn't that bad. Or when I stopped at a walmart for a few hours sleep , that's all I did so didn't need elec.
I don't think I'll regret it.

We're keeping the blinders on and getting the rest of the alum and then the doors next. gotta get campable but it won't be complete for BB. But we'll be there.

the Jewel
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:17 pm

2bits wrote:That is looking GREAT!

+1 on what Thomas said!

2bits wrote:Smart move going all electric, if you never camp without power then why do you need 12v.

All electric is a great idea. I haven't even thought about cooking with electricity but why not? I'll have 12 volt too but am now thinking that it made things unneccesarily complicated.

2bits wrote:I currently have alot of really cool looking 12v lights that are not hooked up :)

Me too, except mine are still in the box.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby starleen2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:27 pm

I have had all electric (110 v) before ' cause I have always camped where there is electricity - however I do have an inverter and a set of jumper cables if I need some "emergency" 110 v power. I have an 800 watt inverter that will run lights, battery/ cell phone chargers, and a small TV or radio. I also Coleman lanterns and stoves - so I can go without if needed. The lights on the hatch add a touch of flare :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:07 am

B U M P

Aluminum on sides, door openings trimmed

Jewel

and yes, we will be campable by BB ... promise (well, Kenny promises! )
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 2bits » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 am

There is something really special about an aluminum sided teardrop. Classic and nostalgic and always new at the same time. Get those doors and and trim, and you are rollin!!! Looking forward to seeing ALL the unveilings this year!~

:twisted:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:21 am

2bits wrote:There is something really special about an aluminum sided teardrop. Classic and nostalgic and always new at the same time. Get those doors and and trim, and you are rollin!!! Looking forward to seeing ALL the unveilings this year!~

:twisted:

Julie,

The new Jewelbox is looking great! I can't wait to see your new teardrop! I'm almost in countdown mode for Beavers Bend.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby rockinrobin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Awsome! :thumbsup: I am envious of you people who build your own teardrops. :thinking: Maybe some day! Ronnie
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby H-Balm » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:21 pm

Hey, are those aluminum... bread boxes?

They look really sharp, whatever they are!
H-Balm
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:43 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:
james worley wrote:Looking good Julie,You planning on bringing it to Beavers bend if you are not completly finished?

It will definitely be campable , and we'll be at BB . Kenny's doing a gorgeous job on the Jewel Box ! It was too cold even in the shop today for the adhesive on the aluminum but we might even do it one evening this week. Then things will roll with getting the doors on. And the hatch is ready now for aluminum too . We're concentrating on the "campable" travel worthy parts of it. haha ... I regret that the interior might not be as pretty as I want just yet , and some other little details but that's ok.

We got the speakers and light bar in the galley today. Hope you can see it in this photo.

How ya like that Becca ? ! haha

Sorry Jewels, I missed this post somehow.

I like it a lot! It seems like the heads will clear the light fixture without a problem. It really is pretty! Can't wait to see it all finished. :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals