The Astroliner

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Astroliner

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:10 pm

KCStudly wrote:Stunning.

How many "extra" details does it take to create a master piece? (vision of the tootsie pop owl going back to the beginning of this thread and starting to count)
How many details does it take?

"All of them."

Thank you KC. The backsplash isn't really "extra" as it's always been in the plans. I wanted a backsplash for all the obvious reasons that one would find a backsplash necessary. But for me, the biggest reason is to "finish" the area behind the countertop where the Galley wall and the Bedroom walls meet. This is the final detail that ultimately separates the two colors.

It's the details that matter and right now that's all I really have left. Details. A bit of trim, a couple doors, (Carrie wants a door on the potty room. Probably a reasonable request!) A couple drawer fronts. We're trying to put back money for the Dinette upholstery but it seems like other things always get in the way. Like groceries. Oh well, we made it this far! It will get there eventually!

Michael

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Michael's A team just pushed the camper build perfection off the charts. She is in a league of its own.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:40 pm

OP827 wrote:Michael's A team just pushed the camper build perfection off the charts. She is in a league of its own.
I actually laughed out loud on that one! Thank you Oleg. Very nice of you to say. I'll post pic's once I get it grouted and finished! Any progress to report?

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:50 pm

aggie79 wrote:Michael,
I just realized that I made a crazy typo. I should have said that epoxy grout does not stain.

I don't want to derail your thread, but in case anyone is wondering how I attached the tile, here's the sequence:

Squirt on some PL Premium:

Trowel adhesive with throw-away v-notch trowel and apply tile:

Wait a few days to grout. "Squeegee" grout in with rubber grout float/trowel:

Wait till grout sets and remove haze. On epoxy grout, you have to remove haze before the full cure or it will never come off:

Now back to Michael's stunning build!
Very nice! I wish I could have used this technique, but I had limited space, and I had to apply most of the tiles individually. Nice colors too.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:05 pm

Atomic77 wrote:
OP827 wrote:Michael's A team just pushed the camper build perfection off the charts. She is in a league of its own.
I actually laughed out loud on that one! Thank you Oleg. Very nice of you to say. I'll post pic's once I get it grouted and finished! Any progress to report?

No progress yet, just windows design, making a mock-up of awning design with a living hinge on top for a weather seal. The goal is to have a lightest window possible and yet a simple design to make. Doing research for living hinge sources.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:29 pm

OP827 wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:

No progress yet, just windows design, making a mock-up of awning design with a living hinge on top for a weather seal. The goal is to have a lightest window possible and yet a simple design to make. Doing research for living hinge sources.
I had to Google "Living Hinge."

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:48 pm

Per Tom's suggestion (aggie79) I located some Epoxy Grout and went to work. As Tom said, the work time is similar to other types of epoxy so you don't want to mix more than you can use before it kicks. Also, you must have it all cleaned up before it goes off! I found a little spot on the countertop that was almost permanent but luckily got it off in the nick of time. Of course, true to my "Swinging-Sixties-Here-I-Come" mentality, I added some silver holographic flake to the grout to give it some "pop." In the light it sparkles like diamonds with an array of colors. When Carrie gets home, she's going to say, "More hooker dust?!" Then roll her eyes and giggle like she always does... But hey I dig the flake, what can I say? Actually I decided on a nice charcoal grey and the flake looks amazing. It's fairly subtle and fits nicely with everything else. I'm pretty happy with the finished result, with the slight exception of the 90° corner but I couldn't come up with anything else, so I'll live with it. Notice the depth of the reflection in the epoxy countertop. Here's a few pix from today, now that the backsplash is complete. Feel free to weigh in on the finished product.

Happy Building,

Michael

http://www.astroliner.blogspot.com
Last edited by Atomic77 on Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:26 pm

Good call on gray grout, I'd like it better than black as you have black tiles there. Do you have a close-up picture of the flakes on the tile grout? Curious how flakes work with non-clear grout.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:28 pm

Sorry, my bad, you already did the picture, nice!

OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:30 pm

OP827 wrote:Sorry, my bad, you already did the picture, nice!

I wish I were better at capturing the sparkle of the flake but it just doesn't translate in stills well. I'll see about posting a video.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Atomic77 wrote:
OP827 wrote:Sorry, my bad, you already did the picture, nice!

I wish I were better at capturing the sparkle of the flake but it just doesn't translate in stills well. I'll see about posting a video.

It's a camera sensor, not you. Sensor doesn't see what human eye does.

OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:14 pm

Atomic77 wrote:When Carrie gets home, she's going to say, "More hooker dust?!" Then roll her eyes and giggle like she always does...

:lol: I chortled so hard over this^ my beverage almost shot out of my nose.

It really does look stunning... all of it. You really stuck to a strong theme. At times I have been thinking, any one of the special features that you did... the curved this, the rocket themed glitter that, etc., etc. ... could have been the one special feature that made your camper stand apart. And then there comes the next thing, and the next thing... and more... and all good. At times I started to wonder, "is it going too far? Will people be overwhelmed by the busyness (like at the mall around x-mas time)?", but nope, not at all. You, my friend, have really pulled it off. All first class quality and craftsmanship, and everything complimenting the theme, not clashing or standing out too brightly, just adding to the thrill. Like good art, every time you look you see something new or differently that it catches your minds eye in a new way, or lets you focus on some different details.

Beautiful. :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:46 pm

KCStudly wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:When Carrie gets home, she's going to say, "More hooker dust?!" Then roll her eyes and giggle like she always does...

I chortled so hard over this^ my beverage almost shot out of my nose.

It really does look stunning... all of it. You really stuck to a strong theme. At times I have been thinking, any one of the special features that you did... the curved this, the rocket themed glitter that, etc., etc. ... could have been the one special feature that made your camper stand apart. And then there comes the next thing, and the next thing... and more... and all good. At times I started to wonder, "is it going too far? Will people be overwhelmed by the busyness (like at the mall around x-mas time)?", but nope, not at all. You, my friend, have really pulled it off. All first class quality and craftsmanship, and everything complimenting the theme, not clashing or standing out too brightly, just adding to the thrill. Like good art, every time you look you see something new or differently that it catches your minds eye in a new way, or lets you focus on some different details.

Beautiful. :applause:
Thank you so very much. Kudos from a Pro like you make it worthwhile. I want others to get a kick out of it, not just me. I've wanted all along to build something that is over-the-top yet tasteful, cosmic yet comfortable, foriegn yet familiar, visionic yet vintage, fashionable yet functional... but most of all I wanted it to fill that Mid-Century, Atomic-Age hole in my heart. I feel like we pulled that off. It's weirdly whimsical, kinda kitchy and tastefully tailored to my own brand of art... I'm honored that you get it. It's my happy place

I'll be posting a short video here in a bit of the Custom Countertops and their art. Let me know what you think to see them in a new dimension.

Michael

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:03 pm

I hope the video shows the flake in a little more detail and comes to life more like it is in person!

Here's the link... Enjoy!

Michael

https://youtu.be/vlX_1IblDkM

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:12 pm

I know I sound like a skipping record - Michael are you old enough to know what the means? - but what a superb job on the backsplash! I love tile colors and the flake in the grout is over the top (in a good way)!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals