A little "Scotty" Diversion...."Finished"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby synaps3 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:38 am

Lookin good, Len! :thumbsup:
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby len19070 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:59 pm

I'm not really ready to start the "Roofing & Siding" until all the parts are in, which should be by Monday.

I have the corner molding, roof glue and the aluminum to make the siding...just waiting for the epdm roof fabric and the big "?" is the Paint.

Anyway I had a bit of paint left over from my last Scotty, enough to do the lower parts, got all the starter strips in and I'm gonna give her He[[ come Monday.

All the little detail work that you don't really plan on.

This weekend..Costic Chemicals 101...or..cleaning old aluminum on windows Hopefully made easy.

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/ ... ?start=all

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bohemian » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi Len
Is that Masonite your using for the outer sheeting as well and if so will you also paint to seal it before putting the roof material back on. With all my years of experience in the wood working trade I have never worked with Masonite. I was just wondering how it will hold up. - Wayne
bohemian
Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:48 pm

bohemian wrote:Hi Len
Is that Masonite your using for the outer sheeting as well and if so will you also paint to seal it before putting the roof material back on. With all my years of experience in the wood working trade I have never worked with Masonite. I was just wondering how it will hold up. - Wayne

I love Masonite. You can almost tie it into a knot and it won't brake. Can't say that about a lot of Plywood's. I really like the way the back of the sheet takes to gluing as well.

Its been around for years and I've seen it used outside painted in one application for over 35 years.

The one thing you have to realize is that its still a thin material and must be used as part of a "panel system" when Laminated, screwed & glued to other materials the stuff makes a good sheathing for a truss system... and a curved application is even better.

All this said, any thing will rot if it gets wet.

I don't bother to seal the roof because I use a single sheet of EPDM rubber that overlaps everything..the sides and front. Plus I don't know how sealing it will effect the EPDM glue...It must be applied to a Pour-us material.

The areas below the roof I use Thompson's water seal or Parks pigmented shellac.

BTW, the original Scotty had no outer skin front & back.

Happy Trails

Len

len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 2bits » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:14 pm

I like watching this progress! My mom is about to give me a little standy about the same size she says is in good condition except the door is gone :roll: , not sure of the full condition or brand so it is nice seeing a partial teardrop teardrop to work with what is there because that is what I am hoping for. Thanks for posting your progress!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby bohemian » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Thanks Len.
I might have to try this in my up and coming project. I will also be looking forward to more of your posts on your project. Real nice job. :thumbsup: - Wayne
bohemian
Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:04 pm

Just as I get started on the Siding.

My annual case of Bronchitis comes in.

Oh well, I could use the rest. Anyway neither the roofing nor the paint hasn't come in yet.

So I would have been "All dressed up with no place to go" anyway.

Happy Trails

Len

len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Len, sorry to hear about the bronchitis. I too seem to get it around this time of year but it showed up earlier this time. Over and done with! Sure am enjoying your build. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:56 pm

len19070 wrote:
bohemian wrote:Hi Len

I love Masonite. You can almost tie it into a knot and it won't brake. Can't say that about a lot of Plywood's. I really like the way the back of the sheet takes to gluing as well.

Its been around for years and I've seen it used outside painted in one application for over 35 years.

The one thing you have to realize is that its still a thin material and must be used as part of a "panel system" when Laminated, screwed & glued to other materials the stuff makes a good sheathing for a truss system... and a curved application is even better.

All this said, any thing will rot if it gets wet.

I don't bother to seal the roof because I use a single sheet of EPDM rubber that overlaps everything..the sides and front. Plus I don't know how sealing it will effect the EPDM glue...It must be applied to a Pour-us material.

The areas below the roof I use Thompson's water seal or Parks pigmented shellac.

Len

:thinking: HMMMM. . . this may cause me to rethink masonite - Is that the tempered stuff?
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby grizz » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:11 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:Len, sorry to hear about the bronchitis. I too seem to get it around this time of year but it showed up earlier this time. Over and done with! Sure am enjoying your build. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Could it be that you guys have some allergies to flower pollens this time of the year.

I never had allegies till I moved to the UK, now I take antihistamines for about 4 months every year, and do very well.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby len19070 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:10 pm

grizz wrote:
CAJUN LADY wrote:Len, sorry to hear about the bronchitis. I too seem to get it around this time of year but it showed up earlier this time. Over and done with! Sure am enjoying your build. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Could it be that you guys have some allergies to flower pollens this time of the year.

I never had allegies till I moved to the UK, now I take antihistamines for about 4 months every year, and do very well.

Mine is all started by allergies.

I can almost set my watch by it.

Thanks for the concerns.

Happy Trails

Len

len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby StPatron » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Sorry to hear you're not feeling 100%, Len. Take care of yourself and get well soon.

I'm really enjoying your pics and comments, thanks for sharing!
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 pm

I used masonite are the underlayment for mine also. Just make sure it doesn't leak, if it does you've got problems with anything you use. I had a small roof vent leak on one of my first outings where the tear was pummeled with heavy rain for 18 hrs straight, we never even got to get out of the teardrop except to run to the restroom. I sealed the leak and nothing terrible has happened.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby G-MAN 88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 pm

I am looking forward to see how your rubber roofing material turns out and what kind of corner molding you use. I am rebuilding a Shasta Compact and I will probably reuse the metal roof thats on it. Because of a lack of funding I am trying to reuse all of the original windows, door and exterior aluminum, but it sure would be nice to make it all new.
Get better soon,
Gordon
G-MAN 88
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:58 am

grizz wrote:

I have no known allergies at all. But, when the orange blossoms start to bloom here, it usually triggers bronchitis. This year it hasn't. I got bronchitis bad in January from stupidity. On Jan. 1st, I sat in the stadium watching LSU play in a bowl game. It started off as a nice day, then started to rain and then got very, very cold. 5 days later I've got bronchitis in both lungs and then a sinus infection (first one ever). I felt like I was dying for 3 weeks! It really sucks.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals