My attempt at building a Teardrop...........

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby cuyeda » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:02 am

Nice start! For the 5x9+1" what mods did you do to the frame, if any.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby loy54 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:51 am

cuyeda wrote:Nice start! For the 5x9+1" what mods did you do to the frame, if any.

cuyeda...... its a 5X9'6".......all I did to the frame was moved the two center cross braces to the sides to make it more rigid, and added a 3X3 center piece to the tongue that extends back to the second brace.....plus it also made the tongue a foot longer..............
loy54
Teardrop Builder

Postby loy54 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks everyone for the nice comments........I'm getting some 1/4" Bender plywood from the place I work.... (18.50 a sheet)......... only problem, it bends across the 4' side.....that means I will have seam down the middle....what would be the best way to cover the seam???
loy54
Teardrop Builder

Postby loy54 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:05 am

a few pics of my progress..................

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/loy54/Teardrop/
loy54
Teardrop Builder

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:24 am

Looking good!

God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Yuri4x4 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:20 pm

I like it! Seems like a very economical way to go.
Yuri4x4
Teardrop Builder

Postby loy54 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:30 am

Click on Pic to see a short walk around video of my progress so far........

loy54
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ratkity » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:39 am

Wonderful progress!!! How are you going to handle the heat from the back of the frig? I'm sure it would be a positive thing to have in the winter.

Hugs,
Ratkity

:applause:
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 am

I haven't seen a drip rail with that angle before, but lots of folks have made wood drip rails, including us. I, too ,would be a little concerned about the exposed edge. It would work if you used some fiberglass and seriously epoxied it. But you might want to consider something other than ply. A length of 1 x pine should be pretty cheap and you don't have the edge issue.
Plus, to keep the water from just rolling forward, Randy cut an notch on"L" cut out on the top-back to make a "track" for the water to run to the sides, like regular metal drip rail. That would be hard to do in ply and get it protected into the layers.

But for any wood you still need to make sure it is well protected. CPES or epoxy, before attachment. And attach with a marine sealant. It will of course get wet. Ours seems to be working out fine for us.

Oh, and your build looks great!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby loy54 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:14 pm

Ratkity wrote:Wonderful progress!!! How are you going to handle the heat from the back of the frig? I'm sure it would be a positive thing to have in the winter.

Hugs,
Ratkity

:applause:

Yeh Ratkity...... The frig is on a slide-out.. it has to slide into the cabin area a few inchs to clear the hatch lid when it is down... I plan to attach a panel to the back of the frig with an air space in between, and when you raise the hatch and slide the frig out into place it will seal the hole behind the frig...tah dah 8) :worship:
loy54
Teardrop Builder

Postby loy54 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:21 pm

nevadatear wrote:I haven't seen a drip rail with that angle before, but lots of folks have made wood drip rails, including us. I, too ,would be a little concerned about the exposed edge. It would work if you used some fiberglass and seriously epoxied it. But you might want to consider something other than ply. A length of 1 x pine should be pretty cheap and you don't have the edge issue.
Plus, to keep the water from just rolling forward, Randy cut an notch on"L" cut out on the top-back to make a "track" for the water to run to the sides, like regular metal drip rail. That would be hard to do in ply and get it protected into the layers.

But for any wood you still need to make sure it is well protected. CPES or epoxy, before attachment. And attach with a marine sealant. It will of course get wet. Ours seems to be working out fine for us.

Oh, and your build looks great!

nevadatear......the drip edge I have is cut from pressure treated 2X4...I plan to seal it really good and use a good water proof glue between it and the tear
loy54
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:57 pm

Lloyd,

You teardrop is really shaping up. I love the profile and your interior cabinetry!

Thank you for posting pictures.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby loy54 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:16 pm

Heres an update of where I'm at.............fitting the doors and installing windows from an old camper shell.......

also got my hatch door completed...........don't know how long the weather is going to be warm enough to work on it........ all I have is an open carport...

loy54
Teardrop Builder

Postby nevadatear » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Whoops, my mistake! :oops: From this far west it looked like plywood! Good job and nice progress.!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:50 am

Lloyd, Get some heavy mil plastic and finish enclosing that carport - put in a heater (salamander or the like) and keep working!

Nice job so far! :thumbsup:
toypusher
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals