Green Lantern- now with awning!!!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby starleen2 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks for the info doug – you gave me an idea – why not make my own coleman fabric? The idea is to use a light earth color (perhaps tan or very light brown linen) the grab a couple of images of coleman products and cartoonize them like this:
Before
ImageAfterImage
Before
Image AfterImage

Then transfer them to the curtains via iron on transfer media after a little bit of creative cutting around the edges
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby doug hodder » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:41 pm

That's an idea! You could also do a drawing, mostly an outline with only colored filled areas, cheaper to do. The expensive part is probably going to be getting it digitized. Most embroiderers will charge extra for every color you add. If you can pick a font that they already have...you can save on the costs. The graphic however is a different story, details are going to be very difficult to reproduce in something that looks appropriate, it's kind of a KISS principle. It could be done with colored fabrics and Steam a Seam...fusible web...then do a satin stitch on the edges of the tank etc...

One of my best customers did some lanterns on aprons, which appear to be Coleman lanterns with the copy that reads "Got Gas"...works well for chefs..makes people think twice about just showing up to chow down. Several of us "out west" teardroppers have them. :lol: I'll find the number on the graphic and the company that has it if you're interested. I don't know if it can be enlarged or not. These were maybe a bit over 2" high on the lanterns. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:58 pm

:o Wow! I see you got right on it. On the fabric, there used to be some people here who would make you real fabric with your design or a photo. Wasn't an iron on. I did some for my mom with my printer years ago. Got some nice sturdy cotton and ironed it to freezer paper. Get all the strings off and it will take print from your printer... ;)

The new inks and printer should do much better. There is a product that sets the ink to make it permanent too. A quilt shop might have it. If not I will look for the name among my junk.
Last edited by Miriam C. on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby doug hodder » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:24 am

Printed treasures is a product that will run right through your ink jet printer and print any photo you want onto fabric. You could do the photos directly on to the material....don't know how it will hold up to UV though. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby starleen2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks for the suggestions - I may even try my hand at screen printing some designs on the fabric to make them more durable - I see at that I could do the colors with about four or five screens /overlay - if it works out - I may save the screens for futher use :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby myoung » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:39 am

I'll be following with interest. Lookin' good!!!
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:41 am

Scott: I like the name you've selected and the lantern theme. The profile of your new trailer is a beauty. The front curve couldn't be much prettier. :thumbsup:

You're working fast; but then, you always seem to. Is this your 4th or 5th trailer build?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:22 am

Miriam C. wrote::o Wow! I see you got right one it. On the fabric, there used to be some people here who would make you real fabric with your design or a photo. Wasn't an iron on. I did some for my mom with my printer years ago. Got some nice sturdy cotton and ironed it to freezer paper. Get all the strings off and it will take print from your printer... ;)

The new inks and printer should do much better. There is a product that sets the ink to make it permanent too. A quilt shop might have it. If not I will look for the name among my junk.

Never tried this or used them before, but here is a place that will print the fabric for you:

http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby starleen2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:45 am

S. Heisley wrote:Is this your 4th or 5th trailer build?

I believe that this #5

aggie79 wrote:Never tried this or used them before, but here is a place that will print the fabric for you:http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

Thanks for the link tom - it may be just what I'm looking for ;)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Went to the spoonflower website and uploaded this for 5 yds of fabric:
I cartooned the images and tiled it to repeat across 45" of fabric. the picture really doesn't do it justise - the real swatch is 16" X16" Should have it in a couple of weeks :D
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:09 pm

That looks top rate! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GreatPumpkin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:27 am

starleen2 wrote:Went to the spoonflower website and uploaded this for 5 yds of fabric:
I cartooned the images and tiled it to repeat across 45" of fabric. the picture really doesn't do it justise - the real swatch is 16" X16" Should have it in a couple of weeks :D

Cool! :D
Custom Benroy/Grunman/Hybrid...In Progress
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin
Teardrop Master

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:26 am

Very nice, Scott! :thumbsup:

I hope you aren't planning to dismantle the Ladybug to build this one!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:35 am

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Very nice, Scott! :thumbsup:

I hope you aren't planning to dismantle the Ladybug to build this one!

Nope Cliff - the the ladybug has been sold. That was the original plan to dismantle her, but at LCG - a friend persuaded me to sell her - and a couple came buy who was planning to build a camper, saw it - fell in love with the Bug - and bought her. The Ladybug will live on! ;)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby steve smoot » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:40 am

Very good Scott. The bug is way to nice to dismantle. I am glad someone bought her. :thumbsup:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals