Steel Raindrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby angib » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:51 am

16vvincent wrote:Layer the sheet from bottom to top and with an epoxy sealer between the panels, I don't expect any problems.

Yep, sounds like you've got that sorted. I love the way you are building from the inside out - which has always struck me as the rational way to make a teardrop.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Ratkity » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:34 am

:applause: :applause:

I love your build! Very interesting with the tubing frame and tabs. I wish I could weld like that! OKok, I wish a lot of things.. like having a nice garage to work in too. hehe.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby myoung » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Love the detail showing in your extensive collection of pictures. The more pictures the better. Will enjoy watching this unique build.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby 16vvincent » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks to all for the positive thoughts.

However, am I the only one that does this:

Stares at a area on the trailer, with a cold beverage in hand, trying to figure out what to do with that area?

I spent a good 2 hours last night trying to figure how to acheive what I wanted to acheive. If you take a look at this photo:

I was trying to figure out how to fill the open area at the top of the cabinet.
Not really easy as there are several layers that have to be seperated. The front (interior) cabinet has to be unboltable from the frame. The kitchen upper counter has to unbolt from the interior cabinet and from the kitchen cabinet (due to the taper of the design, the upper counter has to go inside to be removed) and the kitchen cabinet has to be removable from the side.

In that area I intend to install a couple of speakers and a auto radio as well as a small area for c/d's dvd's.

Another one of those problems that is created by using an unusual design.
16vvincent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 2bits » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi Vincent! I love your design. I think the frame is going to be SUPER stout.

I can see that you have engineered this in a good way, always taking strength and weight in equal portions.

And nope... you are not the only one who sits and contemplates the next move! I made my set of plans ahead of time but still ran into plenty of problems that required some thinkin on. That is nice when you come up with a solution tho and get to pat yourself on the back. You should be patting already about so many things! I am looking forward to seeing it progress! :thumbsup:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby corncountry » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Hello Vincent, from another steel framework builder. I love your frame design, looks very light and strong. Will have to watch this build closely.
I also, used to race go karts, 4 stroke, open class, on dirt. Had to stop racing because this old body couldn't take the beating anymore.

Jim
corncountry
Donating Member

Postby rockinrobin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:14 pm

Awsome! Ronnie :thumbsup:
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Re: Steel Raindrop Build

Postby DasBaldGuy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:10 pm

16vvincent wrote:...First the intended tow vehicle: It is a 1988 VW Fox Wagon. The car is getting kinda rare, has great carrying capacity, handles well, and gets decent gas mileage. It does NOT have a massive amount of excess power though and the trailer will have to be built with the cars dimensions in mind.

Whoa!!! Another Foxer!!! Good looking Wagon and good looking build! I like the FoxII front end on your 1st Gen Fox....

My Tow vehicle started life as an 88 wagon also (see images below). I'd love to see more photos of your Fox! (Have you been to the Fox Forums at vwvortex? I am sort of an old-timer in the vwvortex/Fox Forums).

Anyway, here is my current Fox "Wagon" Tow Vehicle:

DasBaldGuy
Donating Member

Postby steve smoot » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:06 am

DasBaldGuy, I like the truck. You don't see many of these around. :thumbsup:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby GuyllFyre » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:44 pm

steve smoot wrote:DasBaldGuy, I like the truck. You don't see many of these around. :thumbsup:

His build thread on the truck is pretty awesome.
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby DasBaldGuy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:01 am

steve smoot wrote:DasBaldGuy, I like the truck. You don't see many of these around. :thumbsup:

You probably won't see any...there is only one other FoxWagon converstion I know of in the US and one newer Saveiro (late 90's model) roaming around somewhere in New Mexico/Arizona area (imported from South America)

GuyllFyre wrote:His build thread on the truck is pretty awesome.

Thanks! Took almost 5 years to get it where it is now and it is STILL not done...I have to rip the interior out and have it redone.

Sorry for the Thread Jack....I'd love an update on your build and some more pix of the Tow vehicle :thumbsup:
DasBaldGuy
Donating Member

Postby angib » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:34 pm

I presume that is a wooden rack, and not just what you were carrying that day?

I want to make something similar, so that I can put large loads (if not heavy ones) on the top/back of my Mini convertible when the hood's down!
Last edited by angib on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby 16vvincent » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:30 pm

dasbaldguy: Nice conversion on the Fow Wagon. Yes I have been on the Fox Forums and if you want to see the wagon build just go here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... dget-Build

I have the same user name on Vortex as I am using here and you could get a pretty good idea on some of my projects.

I like the job that you did on the bed of the wagon. Well done. But you really need to do a Fox II conversion on the front end.
I did it because of the damage that there was on mine and I wanted to improve the lighting.
16vvincent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby YuGun » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:09 pm

Vow Ä°t is very beautiful vw...
:applause: :thumbsup:
YuGun
The 300 Club

Postby YuGun » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:10 pm

Vow Ä°t is very beautiful vw...
:applause: :thumbsup:
YuGun
The 300 Club