The Escape Pod: AC installed 07/25/2011 Pg 4

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Facemeltingly Epic » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:46 am

So, it seems I'm not the only crazy one here trying to tow a small travel trailer with a small 2-seater (although in my case it's a '91 Miata). :thumbsup:

Nice work so far!
Scot

My build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=42585

Not enough photos there? Try here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... c3e73ca184

Or here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... cf567dd7b7

"Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often, and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Facemeltingly Epic
Teardrop Master

Postby Synthesis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:06 am

Heh. Thanks!

I went into this project with the express goal of being able to pull it with my Fiero.

I actually custom built the hitch just so I could pull a small utility trailer to car shows loaded with my luggage/products. Sure makes for a fun weekend when you don't have the car so loaded down noone else can fit in the passenger seat.
Synthesis
Teardrop Master

Postby Synthesis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:58 pm

More progress tonight.

Both walls are vertical. The left wall has been framed and trimmed, but still needs to have the framework sanded smooth.

The right wall has been framed, but needs to have the excess trimmed off to maintain the profile...

Next up, the rest of the roof spars, the framing for the galley walls, and then the outer skins. :)

Synthesis
Teardrop Master

Postby Synthesis » Mon May 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Sooooo... I picked up an air compressor that came with two nail guns. A 15g Finish Nailer that handles 2.5 inch nails and smaller, and an 18g brad nailer..

I just used the finish nailer to tack my spars in place while I run the #8 3 1/2" deck screws into the ends of the spars.

I also have 90 degree angle brackets for attaching the furring strips to the side walls to help brace and reinforce.

The nail gun is a phenomenal addition to my tool chest. I forgot how handy they are.
Synthesis
Teardrop Master

Postby Synthesis » Mon May 02, 2011 10:22 pm

All of the spars are up. Glued, then nailed, then screwed. Tomorrow I'll toss the angled brackets on them, and then start on the galley bulkhead (no galley cabinets, just smooth bulkhead)...

If I get the framing done quickly and well enough, I'll start the wall insulation, and possibly pick up a spool of 4 strand trailer wire to wire in the lights..
I'll use the 4 strand wire as a "Left side/Right side" wiring scheme for easy circuit isolation and configuration.
Synthesis
Teardrop Master

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Tue May 03, 2011 6:08 pm

Good progress Synthesis, and a real funny trailer story lol. You should start an album here for your pics
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby Synthesis » Tue May 03, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks! I tend to host all of my pictures on my own server, I don't like using other people's bandwidth.. I dunno, I am strange I guess. ;)
Considering I get unlimited bandwidth and disk space with my hosting plan, I am actually half tempted to see if I could offer a mirror SQL server for here to alleviate the errors I see every day.

On with the show...

The spars are in, as stated.. Today, I framed in the bulkhead with 2x2 furring strips, and framed the counter surface for the back.

Yes, I know my rear profile is a bit... Blocky right now...
I have plans for this section, you'll see them soon. :)

Here is the rear of the trailer, framed in. I'll be doing some insulating and trim work. This is a quick and dirty build to get me on the road, and when I have more funds and time I will start a new slow build project. Teardrop time? I don't need teardrop time for THIS build. :)

I also got the first interior section of roof skinned. The hard part. Did it myself. Glued and screwed in place. It helps to be a former Defensive End with the added cushioning from the IT Physique (AKA I am a fat former football player. ;) )

One thing you will see is that I have panel gaps on the ceiling skin on the edges. This was NOT intentional... Everything is glued and solid for the spars and side walls, but without solid bar clamps, I was unable to pull the sides together the way I wanted. I will attempt to remedy this when I can drive 80 miles and borrow some from a friend.. The joys of not having enough tools.
This thing is VERY rigid with the ceiling skin glued and screwed into place. All of my flex, which was very minimal to begin with, is gone entirely.

Here are the angle brackets I am using for my roof spars. I do not have them all installed yet, as I have deck screws in the ends of the spars, and the metal brackets are specifically for brace-work. They may not be needed at this time. I will install them anyway.

And, my favorite new tool.. This little guy makes placing and holding bulkhead frames a BREEZE... Align, tack a nail in on either side, reinforce with screws.
Synthesis
Teardrop Master

Postby Synthesis » Wed May 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Update... No photos, but I finished framing in the rear galley "arch" on the side walls. I got the inner wall skins for the galley installed, glued and nailed into place.

I got the second sheet of ceiling skin installed. Had some minor fitment issues, but will be covering the seam anyway with a trim board, so no big deal to me.

And, I cut the 3/4" birch plywood "counter" to fit the galley. I then lopped off three inches on one edge of it, attached that to the galley framework with adhesive and screws, and then attached the piano hinge for the counter lid.

I am currently three sheets of plywood short of my goal to have this campable by the end of May.

I have one 4x8 sheet of plywood for the roof skin, but this will not be enough for the roof. I need two more sheets to complete the roof, and one sheet to complete the galley bulkhead (cabin side)..

No finances for it, and not looking good for the rest of the month. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I can insulate the side walls and roof, attach the side-wall skins and attach the first roof section.

Once the side walls are on, I can treat them with Spar Urethane.
Synthesis
Teardrop Master

Postby Synthesis » Thu May 05, 2011 2:25 pm

Photos of the tear as it sits this morning...

While I know this teardrop is not as pretty or detailed as some of the ones I have seen on here, I am quite happy with it.

I am pushing to get this done, as I want and need a functional camper that I can use immediately.

I grew up building cabinetry and remodeling homes with my family. I consider myself to be fairly skilled when it comes to wood working, but do not have the tools to complement that skill.

This is a budget build with a need for speed, as I need it ready for this year.

When I get more time/tools/money, I fully intend to build something a little more "quality".

On with the pictures.
The rear arch for the galley. Now you see the real profile.

The hinged galley counter...

The ceiling skin.
Synthesis
Teardrop Master

Postby Facemeltingly Epic » Thu May 05, 2011 5:55 pm

I can fully understand the need for speed. Most of the design considerations for my build were made in favor of getting it built quickly and cheaply. And as light as practical given those two constraints.

And I still missed my original deadline for making my trailer camp-ready.
Scot

My build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=42585

Not enough photos there? Try here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... c3e73ca184

Or here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... cf567dd7b7

"Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often, and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Facemeltingly Epic
Teardrop Master

Postby Synthesis » Thu May 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Got the two outer wall skins treated today.

50/50 Mineral Spirits Minwax Spar Urethane..

This is the first coat of 4 of the 50/50 mix, and then another 2-3 of straight up urethane, sanded in between.

Three shots, one before treatment, one after, and one close up of the grain. Click to view fullsize.

Synthesis
Teardrop Master

Postby Papi » Tue May 10, 2011 10:50 am

The grain on that wood is beautiful! 8)
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Postby Synthesis » Tue May 10, 2011 10:58 am

Thank you! I like the way it looks too.
And that was just the first coat of Urethane.

I now have four coats of Urethane (three mixed, one straight), and have attached one side panel to the camper. I then filled the holes with epoxy wood filler, and will be sanding the urethane and filler down for one final coat of urethane..
:)

Need to get the other side panel attached, and then I can begin the insulation of the roof.
Synthesis
Teardrop Master

Postby Synthesis » Sun May 15, 2011 6:43 pm

Not much progress in the last week, the weather has been horrible.

Did some today though with the weather as nice as it was..
I had to haul it in it's current condition down to the local Fleet Farm to pick up some stuff today that I could not haul in the car..
LOTS of looks, several Thumbs Up, and more than an hour of conversation with at least four different people about it when I finally got out of the store. I gave the URL for this site and forum to three different people today who asked about where to get plans. :)

The right hand side skin, I attached it approximately a week ago. Urethane adhesive, panel, 1.25" 15g finishing nails. (I LOVE MY NAIL GUN)

Side profile of the car and camper... It is a bit taller than the car, but not by much.

First front skin attached. Several boo-boos as I tried to find the roof spars... I even had them marked and still missed them... WTF.. LOTS of screws holding it on. Nothing else seemed to have the holding power.

Down the side to show the glossy finish. I still have two coats of Urethane to put on after the nail holes have been filled with Epoxy filler.

The rear Galley area counter, showing the high gloss Urethane finish... Loving the way this is turning out so far. :)

Shot of the sanding work on the right side of the trailer. Almost into the wood, but not quite. This will be 2 more coats of straight urethane now that the filler has been sanded down.
Synthesis
Teardrop Master

Postby Danno » Tue May 17, 2011 6:56 pm

As someone who is also going be towing with a smaller vehicle I'm watching this closely. You are doing a great job. What's the total height from ground to roof?
Danno
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals