Oregon Trail'R Build Link

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Updated Build Pics on our website!

Postby oregonguy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:56 pm

It's been a really busy summer for my brother and I w/ non-teardrop related commitments. :( Nonetheless we have made some significant progress on the Streeter Build. :D We are about 98% done now. Just little touches left. Still need to mount the LP tank, install the gas springs in the galley, and do a thorough cleaning for instance. We have continued to create jigs and templates along the way for all of our parts, so it's kinda slow going on this first one. Anyway, check out the progress pics here: new pics on page 3: http://www.oregontrailer.net/Oregon_Trailer/Streeter_Build.html
Check out our Website: www.oregontrailer.net
oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Re: Updated Build Pics on our website!

Postby Larry C » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:15 pm

oregonguy wrote:It's been a really busy summer for my brother and I w/ non-teardrop related commitments. :( Nonetheless we have made some significant progress on the Streeter Build. :D We are about 98% done now. Just little touches left. Still need to mount the LP tank, install the gas springs in the galley, and do a thorough cleaning for instance. We have continued to create jigs and templates along the way for all of our parts, so it's kinda slow going on this first one. Anyway, check out the progress pics here: new pics on page 3: http://www.oregontrailer.net/Oregon_Trailer/Streeter_Build.html

I am totally speechless!! Your build is impeccable! The quality of workmanship, and attention to detail is amazing. The profile, the door, the wheels, Galley, etc. all make for a beautiful Teardrop. You are Truly in the Camp Inn league!!
I hope your business venture works for you. It can be difficult to build such quality and compete with mass production. You and your brother are an example why American craftsmanship surely is not dead.
As I sit back contemplating my meager build, You guys are a real inspiration to me.
Thanks for sharing your progess......

Larry C :applause: :applause: :applause:
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby oregonguy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:36 pm

Larry C - We really appreciate the vote of confidence and the kind words... It really helps make it all feel worth the effort. We are really looking forward to getting it completed soon, and will try to keep posting new pics along the way. I took a peek onto your album too... You got a nice looking build going yourself. I really like the super light weight frame! Can't wait to see it complete. :thumbsup:
oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Postby DMcCam » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:45 am

Wow, you two have done a great job on your build!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: Splendid finish on everything! I especially like the way you trimmed out your doors it's exactly what I'd like to do on mine. Would you be so kind as to show a few close ups and how you went about it? Top notch all the way gentlemen!

All the Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby oregonguy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:01 am

DMcCam wrote:Wow, you two have done a great job on your build!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: Splendid finish on everything! I especially like the way you trimmed out your doors it's exactly what I'd like to do on mine. Would you be so kind as to show a few close ups and how you went about it? Top notch all the way gentlemen!

All the Best,

Dave

Thanks Dave! Coming from you that means a lot! I'll PM you with some info re: the door trim.
oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:57 pm

Beautiful Teardrop! The exterior finish looks every bit as nice as a CampInn and the extra features make it yours and better. Some of the galley features, like the pull-down stove and the food storage bin are extra clever! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby oregonguy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:55 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Beautiful Teardrop! The exterior finish looks every bit as nice as a CampInn and the extra features make it yours and better. Some of the galley features, like the pull-down stove and the food storage bin are extra clever! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

Thanks a bunch. We tried to give a few "extra clever" features that would make it desirable. :)
oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Postby ohbugger » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:20 am

I REALLY like your trailer! The lines and size are great! The innovations are great! The build quality looks fantastic.

One thing just didn't fit quite right though. I think the doors would look great if the profile followed the top of the trailer. You are amazing craftsmen and I only wish I could build something so nice, just curious if there was a reason for that. Maybe a suggestion for the next one.

I did a little mock-up in Paint, it looks pretty bad, but just an idea. (Mine doesn't really follow the profile of the roof either, it goes too far towards the roof and the rear curve is too sharp)
Oh, and once again, not knocking on what you are doing. It's amazing!
Last edited by ohbugger on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby oregonguy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:15 am

ohbugger wrote:I REALLY like your trailer! The lines and size are great! The innovations are great! The build quality looks fantastic.

One thing just didn't fit quite right though. I think the doors would look great if the profile followed the top of the trailer. You are amazing craftsmen and I only wish I could build something so nice, just curious if there was a reason for that. Maybe a suggestion for the next one.

I did a little mock-up in Paint, it looks pretty bad, but just an idea. (Mine doesn't really follow the profile of the roof either, it goes too far towards the roof and the rear curve is too sharp)
Oh, and once again, not knocking on what you are doing. It's amazing!

That looks good too, and I did consider that as one of the many design possibilities. We wanted the door shape to unique, recognizable, and just different enough from the profile so that it stood out. We felt like the little extra peak in the shape gave it a little extra something. Following the profile exactly does look nice for sure, but we felt like that had been done so many times, and we wanted something just a bit different, while still keeping general shape.

I appreciate the feedback though.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Postby ohbugger » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Any idea on what the price range will be? Looks like top quality materials and labor! It looks like this is the type of trailer that will still be around in 30, 40, 50 years.
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby oregonguy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:53 pm

ohbugger wrote:Any idea on what the price range will be? Looks like top quality materials and labor! It looks like this is the type of trailer that will still be around in 30, 40, 50 years.

We're still working out the details in regards to pricing. This one is pretty loaded with options. We're going to try and offer a full range of models though, while still retaining our build quality, and material quality.

The primary function of this first teardrop has been to create all the jigs, templates, and tools we'll need to streamline the production process. The process has been long and grueling with hundreds and hundreds of man hours invested, maybe thousands. We have agonized over every detail of the build, trying to create something that will last a lifetime. The end result is that no matter what we charge for this first trailer, we won't come close to being profitable with it. We're counting on it paying off with speed and ease in construction with all following trailers.

As you noticed, we used nothing but the best materials we could find. Our Floor for instance is 13 ply exterior rated 3/4 inch Finnish plywood. All trim is Mahogany. All exterior fasteners are stainless. All lighting is LED. etc. This of course adds up to an expensive materials list.

Looking at what's out there for sale in comparison to ours, this one should be in the 16-17k range. We'll refine that as we finish up the build and get around to adding up all our materials costs. We're not even going to try and compensate ourselves for time spent on this first one.
oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals