My first Build "The Temple of Accumulated Error"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby jmkaay » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:31 am

Reply to GuyllFyre and LDK.

GuyllFyre
I like those geodesic aerolite boats too. I think I'll build either a skin-on frame boat or a take apart boat like these http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/simpson/index.htm next.

LDK
Yes I've done a lot of oil painting over the years, and lately have been doing some cut paper portraits (like my avatar - a self portrait), animal studies and florals.

John
jmkaay
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jmkaay » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:53 pm

More progress to report. I screwed up big time the other day, but managed to fix it today.
Each side of my td is made of 2 - 5'x5'x 1/4" baltic birch panels on the outside and Lauan on the inside. I'd completed the drivers' side front and was working on the passenger side Monday, but I put the framing members on the wrong side of the ply! I had made 2 drivers' side fronts.
Learning to quit before I get too tired and start screwing up is an ongoing process with me! ;-)
Had to think about it a couple days (and take my Grandsons to the beach), before I decided what to do.
I finally decided to put the baltic birch on both sides - the panel would be a little heavier, but I wouldn't have to re-do anything.
So I did that today and then cut the profile of the back half of the td.
It's huge! Really larger than I had anticipated. Oh well - better a little large than too small!
Here's some photos.
First the complete profile:

Then the drivers side front from the inside. I still have to line this panel with lauan and cut out the door.

That's all for today.
John
jmkaay
Teardrop Inspector

I'm 3D now!

Postby jmkaay » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:57 am

Boy, days and days of little nit-picky stuff , with no real visible progress made, then Boom! I got walls!

I have to do it this way because I can't work on the trailer at home - all I have is an apartment parking space. So, I have to have it towable at the end of each workday.
The front half of each wall is up, with the door opening and window space cut out. I had the window cut out and then decided to raise it 4 inches - didn't like the way it looked. (Plans? We don't got no plans. We don't need no stinking plans! We are the Federales! - channeling John Belushi)

I've got the first 4 by 5 foot inside panel in (1/8" doorskin) and cross beams holding it (PL Premium and screws). Tows fine at 50 mph!

Here's a back - side view. I think I'm gonna tear out that first attempt at a galley and make it a bit shallower. (Plans? We don't got no.....) Maybe I can figure out how to move that wall about 6" further back - there's some wasted space there and I guess I never hurts to have a little more space in the cabin.

I spent the last two days putting up the back walls and taking them down - making sure they fit. Trouble is, they don't! Seems I put the passenger side front panel in about a quarter inch too low in the front. (see build name: Temple of Accumulated Error)
Arrrgh! I'll have to angle the right rear panel slightly to make the heights come out even in the rear. Should be able to cover it up though. I'm planning on fiberglass taping all the exterior joints.

I'm planning on building the back hatch in place and then cutting it out with a saber saw. Does this sound feasible? It should make the hatch fit well.

Any feedback appreciated!
John Kaay
jmkaay
Teardrop Inspector

Postby WhitneyK » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:44 am

JM,

Looking good! Still love the name of the build. I built my hatch in place then cut it out like you are considering. It's probably a slight bit harder, because of the angle you have to cut at and getting more sawdust thrown in your face than usual, but it helps take some of the "error factor" out of it. I forgot to remove the screws (pocket screws) from where I needed to cut, them be some tough boogers to get cut through. Yep, hind sites 20/20.

I totally understand about the 3 steps forward and 2 steps back (syndrom) problems you've encountered, hits close to home. Good luck, and keep up the good work.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Re: A shout out to Grant at Li'l Bear! and some good progres

Postby mallymal » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:48 pm

jmkaay wrote:...I laid out the front half of my TD on the sheets of birch, using a batten to get a smooth curve, and cut out both sides at once....
Then I started making curved pine reenforcements all around the perimeter of the first sheet, using a biscuit machine, and glued one side together.

That's great to see the frame biscuited.... when I eventually build, that's the method I favour. I was just worried it would mean too many joints to achieve the curvature from 3x1 or whatever you're cutting from, but you've proved it works fine!
Keep up the good work (and the good wit) I'm enjoying reading your build journal. :applause:
mallymal
The 300 Club

Weekend Update (Chevy Chase is off tonight)

Postby jmkaay » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:01 pm

Here it is the end of August already - I was supposed to be done by now!
In my dreams anyway...

Here's the driver's side - looking pretty good. What you can't see is that the back half still needs to be insulated and paneled on the inside.
I've got a poplar cross beam in place for the hinge to attach to, and the roof has cross beams and inside (1/8") paneling up to where I'll be framing for the vent.

On the passenger side - I still need to insulate and outer skin that one section above the wheel.
I didn't like the position of the window, so I cut it another 4" higher, and biscuited in the bottom 4 inches. (spell check doesn't like biscuited. Ha! We'll see about that! biscuited biscuited biscuited biscuited - so there soulless machine! I gotta lay off the coffee. Hmmm, it accepted gotta?? My Aunt, Sister Seraphine - the schoolteacher, would not have liked that! I really gotta lay off the coffee!

In the next couple days, I'm going to finish those two side panels, frame in the vent, and get a start on insulating and paneling the roof.

Any way, (or anyway) that's it for today.

Oh yeah!, Please write - I'm really looking for suggestions. Thanks, John.
jmkaay
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kinto » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:16 am

end of august, I KNOW!!! ...didn't even realize labor day is next weekend until it was mentioned last nite. i've been building whenever possible & at this point am just hoping for camp-able sometime in october!

and your build is looking fantastic, btw!

kent
:)
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:50 am

Suggestions? Looks like you're doin' a great job all on your own my friend! :thumbsup: What kind of suggestions are you lookin' for?

Don't worry about the coffee, coffee comes from a bean, therefore it's a vegetable, and everyone is supposed to have their veggies.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

coffee!

Postby jmkaay » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:23 pm

"Don't worry about the coffee, coffee comes from a bean, therefore it's a vegetable, and everyone is supposed to have their veggies.

Ha! I guess I had my minimum daily requirement at breakfast this morning!
jmkaay
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Build Journals