Theresa's 4 x 8 Ginger Gypsy Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Theresa's 4 x 8 Ginger Gypsy Build

Postby catleppert » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Made a ton of progress this weekend!

Cut out the door and both windows.

Test fit the windows:

Laminating the bulkhead walls. Waiting for it to cure, then hubby will router off the edges and clean everything up.

Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby catleppert » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:09 pm

Thanks so much to Woodbutcher - for all your help and donated parts. We appreciate all you have done.... :worship:

Oh, and we double-checked the water issue with the window turned sideways. No leak problem - just a slight problem with water collecting in one channel - which Chuck can fix by drilling some weep holes. Thanks for the heads up on that potential issue! It's good to find this out BEFORE installation and not after...
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:33 pm

why does that look so familiar??? :scratchthinking:

fun to see what i could have done!! :lol:
where is your build located ?
nice work :thumbsup:
Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby catleppert » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:43 pm

LOL, Ron - my, that does look mighty familiar! We are in Iowa. Now I need to go check out your gallery for pics/ideas.......
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:44 am

this might help

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54030

one of those was my on the road trip to new mexico and with what went right and wrong. My trailer started it's first half of it's life with no glass windows and a gunport to look out a single sheet of wood framed know one really new nor bothered it.
The fun part was if you go to search at the top of the page and enter gun ports. many did not want me to get rid of them and at the end the one who lead the charge was Dean of Eureka, when I took off the doors I gave him the door with Wells Fago painted in gold above the gun port and called it the gun port award. :lol:
Mine is on a old boat trailer my new one the cross bow is on a HF.
Hope these help
Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Theresa, Glad the windows will work. Nothing worse then leaky windows. Now you can kick it into high gear and get this trailer finished!!!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby catleppert » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:41 pm

Hubby was off today, and had a very productive day!

Pretty darn small! But the big windows mitigate that a bit....
Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:30 am

you may want to make that window into a door. As I built mine my wife said she did not want me climbing over her in the middle of the night if I had to much to drink. This is the best time lay down next to each other and see what happens when the inside person has to :oops: well you know.... :lol:

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby catleppert » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:13 am

Ah, yes there is a reason they call the second door a marriage saver! This unit is just for me to use when I go camping with the sisters on the fly. When hubby and I go somewhere together, we take the 6-wide Benroy he built.....
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby catleppert » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Holy smokes, spent 10 hours on my trailer build today! We got a TON of stuff done! We are building the ceiling from the inside out this time. The interior ceiling is made from hardboard. Hubby cut the hardboard panels to size and then glued on 4-inch wide pieces over the joints so the ceiling is one long piece, about 9-1/2 feet long. Then I wallpapered it with the textured wallpaper. When I look at the pictures, I can see a seam in the wallpaper. <sigh> - my very first time wallpapering anything. Not too bad for my first attempt, I guess.

We flipped it over and he glued on spars, making sure to have accurate framing for the Fantastic Fan.

While the spar glue was curing, we took off the walls again and I sealed all the edges again with spar urethane, to make sure everything is watertight. We also cut, laid, and glued down the carpet in the cabin. That is our best find yet, honestly! We were going to do to carpet tiles, which would have cost over $50! But happened to walk by some area rugs that were on sale - and Chuck and I looked at each other and had the same idea at the same time - tight nap area rug cut to size and glued down with spray adhesive. Total cost! $10 for the carpet and used a can of spray adhesive we already had in the garage. Worked like a flippin charm!! Here is a pic.

Put the walls back up again, and then turned attention to the wallpapered ceiling. Plan is/was to paint with bright copper paint and then "age" it with aged copper paint. Wasn't sure how it would look, did a test run on a bit of leftover wallpaper, and it turned out great! Ran out of paint, though, will have to get another can tomorrow. Here is how it looks so far with just the first coat on part of the ceiling....

All in all great progress today!
Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby bc toys » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:15 am

you are coming along great I really like the ceiling ideal keep up the great job
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:56 pm

Hi, Theresa! How great that you are going to have your own personal teardrop to decorate and use however you want! That ceiling is going to look terrific! :thumbsup:
You're going to be a two-teardrop family!!! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby catleppert » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:44 am

Hi there, Sharon! I am one lucky teardroppin woman, having my own all to myself. Chuck has an ulterior motive, tho.... He didn't want me decorating in all the wild colors in his precious Benroy, LOL.

We made some more progress on Monday. Finished the ceiling and I think it turned out great... The sunlight/shadows make it a little difficult to see....

Here is a close up. I swear it looks just like copper tiles!

We also had quite a bit of discussion regarding the bulkheads, and the rear of the trailer. Chuck cut the last pieces of plywood including the barn doors. Had to make a few changes so the framing fits INSIDE the walls at the back so it is flush with the trailer frame. Had to return the original hinges cuz I couldn't find door hardware to match the black, so went with mill all around. Didn't take pics of those yet, will save that for another day.

Here is the back panel framing.

And a pic of it with back frame clamped on and both walls up, carpet in....

This weekend is Tears By The River 6 gathering, so no more work on the Gypsy til probably next weekend..... Y'all have a wonderful week!
Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:54 pm

catleppert wrote:Image

Here is a close up. I swear it looks just like copper tiles!

And a pic of it with back frame clamped on and both walls up, carpet in....

Yes, it does look like copper tiles! Wall's are up! ...Milestone! You guys are moving right along! Have fun at your gathering.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby catleppert » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:32 pm

On my, did I score at the secondhand store today. Went looking for a train case that we are using for a SOTF craft project next month. Scored the following for $2.45! Looks a little rough on the outside but that's ok cuz we will be recovering it with bright pics/fabrics and modge podge.

Also scored the following pair of crutches that I plan to use as legs for my drop down tables. Cost $5. And they are kid size so don't have to cut as much off!

And last but not least, my most fabulous find of the day, a Coleman 425e in almost pristine condition! Thanks to Woodbutcher for reassuring me that the price asked was fair. They were asking $19.99, and I had a coupon for $5 off, so got this awesome stove for hubby for $15!

Probably shoulda bought a lottery ticket too, lol.....
Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals