the jelly belly build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby del » Fri May 18, 2007 10:03 am

To reply I say;

Darla;
The thought that my posts inspired those drawings, makes me think I am in the presence(sp?) of greatness. I am honored.

Mary K;
So you are saying I am not alone, when it comes to wind. I thought the wind was just picking on me.

Steve;
If you mean the dark color. I ran out of pine flour. I took the saw dust from my table saw, and ran it through a coffee grinder. Other than that it has cut strips of fiberglass cloth in them. If you are meaning something else. please let me know.
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Sat May 19, 2007 12:30 am

First I have a question.
The gray "a" braces touch the 1/2 ply at the bottom of the nose. The question is do I bolt the two together? There is flex in the tongue at this point. My thoughts;
If I do not; the two pieces will bump together, causing damage.
If I do; The body will stiffen the tongue, is it strong enough (the body)? Do I need to reinforce the body to bolt it here?
I am sure I have missed pros and cons to bolting it here.
If anyone has input I would be thankful.

Progress;
Put in five new boards (one up from yesterday) and did some more fiberglass work (pic in gallery).

A side note today is the 27th anniversary of one of the scariest days of my life. 27 years ago it turned dark here by 10:30 in the morning as Mt Saint Helens blew her top. On Monday, with all the ash on the ground, it was like walking into a black and white movie.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Sat May 19, 2007 9:19 am

Adding a bolt to that brace means weakening the brace (by drilling a hole through it) right at its most loaded point. Personally I would prefer to glue some rubber (a couple of layers of bicycle inner tube, if you have nothing else) to the top of the brace. That will carry the load up into the body and avoid impact loads for those occasions where the tongue is pulled away from the body.

A couple of extra layers of glass on the flange-to-shell joint right above the brace wouldn't do any harm, but I can't swear they're needed.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat May 19, 2007 6:09 pm

You could attach the brace to the tongue using a u-bolt and avoid drilling/weakening the tongue.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby del » Sat May 19, 2007 11:00 pm

Andrew;
In the picture in my last post there is a brace just behind the body. It is bolted to the same braces that would be weakened by bolting the body to it. Do I need to fix this?
Next question what do you think of the u-bolt idea?

Thanks del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Sun May 20, 2007 2:24 pm

del wrote:Do I need to fix this?

I don't think that's ideal, but probably not enough to need fixing. In truth, I'm not sure that the cross-beam does very much, so it shouldn't put much load on the side braces.

A U-bolt would work well around the centre/main tongue, but I can't see it working well on the angle section of the side braces. I think your question was about the side braces, but you could ask exactly the same question about the centre tongue - for which I think the U-bolt (you can get them with a square shape) would be a good idea - if nothing else, to stop the banging you could get.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Sun May 20, 2007 9:26 pm

Andrew the cross brace stopped a lot of tongue twist when I use the side mounted jack. going down the road it should have little load. I can weld this joint if you think it would help?

thanks del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Mon May 21, 2007 10:04 am

Nah, I think it's in the 'don't worry' category.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Mon May 21, 2007 11:31 pm

Progress;
Today the maillady rang the doorbell with the jacks from JC Whitney. Found my cross member was two inches too high off the ground, and not quite wide enough. Put spacers in and problem solved.
If I had to do the cross member over I would do it differently, live and learn. Soon to put up the second half of the side walls, hopefully the framework is strait.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Tue May 22, 2007 11:25 pm

I was saying last time that I was getting ready to put the second half of the side on. Then I thought now is the time to put in a cabinet (cabin side of bulkhead) and a bulkhead to divide the cabin from the galley.
Two questions.
1. Shelves in cabinet, how many? How deep? (the generic benroy appears to be 14" deep)
2. What should I make the bulkhead out of? 1/8 or 1/4 (ply)or something else?

Progress;
The board that is clamped to the back is what the bulkhead, the one I have not built yet, will rest on while I attach the bulkhead. Then the board will be removed.
The galley counter is planned to be 36" off the ground, the bottom of the bulkhead is matched to this leaving room for my feet.

thanks del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Sat May 26, 2007 10:33 pm

And driving for Yakima, in the Yakivegas grand prix, is the little guy Del.
Sorry I had to, it is called a raceway afterall.

Hope everyone enjoys their long weekend. I do have to cheer on my favorite driver Kimi in Monaco tomorrow. I also will put in a cheer for Danica at Indy.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat May 26, 2007 10:40 pm

Del that is amazing looking even now. I don't know how light you are planing and I am not a structural expert but my instinct would be to go heavier here, unless you are going to add some framing or screw the sides into the cabinets. Even then 1/4" seems to warp.

Anyway I just wanted to chime in on how nice it is. 8) :D
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby del » Mon May 28, 2007 10:57 am

Auntie M I should mention the bulkhead will be a sandwich (dry, no mayo or miracle whip). So it should be stronger than just the ply.

del

ps I am one of the people who can not tell the difference between mayo or miracle whip.
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon May 28, 2007 11:38 am

del wrote:Auntie M I should mention the bulkhead will be a sandwich (dry, no mayo or miracle whip). So it should be stronger than just the ply.

del

ps I am one of the people who can not tell the difference between mayo or miracle whip.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ;) Well I can and I like Miracle Whip ImageImageImage

Sandwich sounds good, it still looks good and it may not matter on the thickness of the wood???? :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby doug hodder » Mon May 28, 2007 1:48 pm

Del...you have a fun build to watch!!...lots of different things going on...makes me think and draw on paper...Doug

Miracle Whip....AKA "Satans Sandwich Spread"
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals