Kamp King last pics, journal is complete.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Kamp King update 6/15 back at it...

Postby djdawg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:55 am

I just picked up my 17' Holiday Rambler today...and I've been reading through your build for inspiration. But seriously...I don't know half of the things you did and I feel like I have no idea on what to do. :(

What you're doing is beautiful...if I can arrive at something 1/10th as nice I'll feel like I succeeded. Great job!
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby E. Aaron Scott » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:53 am

Mere words fail in their descriptive powers. Truly a build for the ages :applause:
-Aaron KF5VBV
E. Aaron Scott
Teardrop Builder

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:12 pm

djdawg....don't get overwhelmed with it. Do a little bit at a time and think about what you are doing. Sometimes the worst thing you can do is tear it completely apart and not really have a direction that you want to go with it. Just spend some time, think it through, make a punch list of things you want to do. I'm doing a complete tear down and new build, you may not have to do as much work as I am doing. As you progress, you will more than likely find items that you hadn't planned on that need to be taken care of, there are all sorts of hidden things you'll find. Sometimes it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Take lots of pictures so that you know in the future where things go. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck on your resto. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby djdawg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:40 pm

doug hodder wrote:djdawg....don't get overwhelmed with it. Do a little bit at a time and think about what you are doing. Sometimes the worst thing you can do is tear it completely apart and not really have a direction that you want to go with it. Just spend some time, think it through, make a punch list of things you want to do. I'm doing a complete tear down and new build, you may not have to do as much work as I am doing. As you progress, you will more than likely find items that you hadn't planned on that need to be taken care of, there are all sorts of hidden things you'll find. Sometimes it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Take lots of pictures so that you know in the future where things go. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck on your resto. Doug

Thanks Doug! Even after looking at things closer today I feel a little more at ease. I hope some folks start checking out my build journal because I have lots of questions but no answers yet :(
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:10 am

I finished up scuffing the trailer yesterday, masked the windows and shot the primer and at least 1 color on it. It's a dark charcoal metallic. I lucked out...no bugs, I only hope it's not stripey as I don't have a lot of light in the garage and sprayed it after dark and didn't have a drop of paint left to touch up any spots. I need to get some more time on the paint and I can mask off for the silver graphic stripe...then the yellow.
They say if you can read the numbers in a dollar bill in the reflection that it's a decent paint job, at least I heard that on one of the Sunday morning truck/hot rod shows. I did what I could and given the conditions of the garage....this is about as good as it's gonna get! It's a single stage urethane. Thanks for watching. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Kamp King update, 1 color on

Postby High Desert » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:50 am

Finish looks great in the pics Doug, I'd say far more than "good enough" 8)

What brand of paint are you shooting? The urethane paints are great and really tough, but it takes skill to make it shine like that, especially without a booth. :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:14 am

I'm using Nason, which is not a real high end paint. Made by Dupont. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby TRP » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:18 am

Looks really great. I'm always impressed.

Where do you keep all of your trailers?! By my count, you have at least 3.

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby harleykamper » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Looks from here. Nice shine. I'm going to spray mine in the garage too. We don't have much of a bug problem as we do with the white fluff from the trees. Gets everywhere! Keep up the good work. :applause:
Paul & Marilyn Moon
2008 anniversary edition Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Ultra Classic
Kustom KlamShell tent Trailer. (In build now)
The ClamShell Tent Trailer Build Journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54531
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:55 pm

TRP wrote:Where do you keep all of your trailers?! By my count, you have at least 3.
Ted

Ted...I've got 1 tear and 2 standies, a utility trailer and a 17' wooden boat. I've got a smaller 4 car pole barn, a larger single car garage and a 2 car garage that is my shop. When I bought, I specifically wanted some out buildings for project storage. I don't know if the new trailer will fit in the pole barn though...doubtful, unless I modify the front of it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Late last night I masked off the silver accent stripe/ scuffed it and sprayed it this morning. I also masked off for the "smile" that will go on the front in yellow. Since it's been stupid hot here, the paint should be ready to tape over on the stripe to shoot the yellow this coming weekend. Taping off too early will leave marks in the fresh paint. It gets a white primer as yellow doesn't like to cover gray. I'll only do the 2 sides, let them cure, then cover them and shoot the front/ rear and non attached roof panel in yellow. I just don't have the room to do a lot of the painting in a 1 shot type thing. I can only spray 1 side, then jockey the trailer over and spray the other side. The colors will be pin striped off in black between each color change. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:32 pm

:thumbsup: Good progress! ...Glad you know your paint. I wouldn't even try to paint in this heat.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:28 pm

I got up early and masked off the bottom half of the trailer and shot the yellow on the sides and the smile on the front. I sprayed the fiberglass rock shield as well that goes over the front windows. I managed to have the hose hang up on the nose wheel and stop my spraying progress, leaving a real nice run! Oh boy...now I get to sand that one out! At least it's not on the door side. The black pinstriping will really set off the colors I believe. I was thinking about yellow all the way across the roof and down to the bottom on the back, but am maybe thinking, dark charcoal on the lower half on the rear.... :thinking:

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Kamp King update, sides in yellow, next is roof

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Nice color scheme Doug - to hot around here to paint anything. Paint literally dries when it leaves the gun and turns into dust! :lol:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: Kamp King update, sides in yellow, next is roof

Postby cherokeegeorge » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:15 pm

looking good Doug :thumbsup: nomes ay?
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals